No announcement yet.

How is the fall food plots doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Walker County, our turnip patch is getting shredded. Oats are untouched. Not much left but stem and the actual turnip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
      [emoji106][emoji2533] works real good. The cow peas will climb out the top of them as well!! This will be year 3 of adding the sun hemp in

I thought about sun hemp how is it doing for you

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        I thought about sun hemp how is it doing for you

Deer eat the leaves and it provides great cover for the peas to climb on. I’m going to plant it in higher deer density plots this year in our mix. I should have better answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
          Deer eat the leaves and it provides great cover for the peas to climb on. I’m going to plant it in higher deer density plots this year in our mix. I should have better answers.

What is the seeding rate you are using per acre?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            What is the seeding rate you are using per acre?

20# per acre when mixing with the sunflowers and IC cowpeas. We are going to add a lot of okra this year and scale back on the sunflowers. See how that goes

Comment

Thanks for your response.

Comment

This time of the summer, we all might still be focusing on fishing, barbecuing in the backyard, or any other number of warm weather hobbies. But this is actually the best time to get busy if you’d like to have a better hunting season once fall comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                  Thanks for your response.

El gato’s thread on here may help as well. He has added it in more and more every year. He will be able to give you a better seed rate as he is planting it in bigger fields. To me even if the deer don’t eat it a lot it’s a nitrogen producing plant that puts even more in the soil for the winter plots.

Comment

Yes sir I will give it a try. I'm going to see if the feed store in Livingston can get it. I will do it down the edge of my plot just to give it a try. Thanks again

Comment

Still ignoring the turnips but eating the brassica like candy.

Comment

All I planted was oats on my little 1 acre, fenced in plot. I did the throw & mow, and they came up great. Fertilized them as well. Its a small plot, and sees lots of pressure, so they keep it mowed down.

Comment

Working...
                        X