No announcement yet.

Quitting the smokeless habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers up for all kicking the habit, I am weak but He is strong!

Land or Sea, Blessed by Thee!

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
      Jan 2 will be one year for me. Traded a Snuff addiction for a nicotine gum addiction. My breath smells good, no spit cups around and I've reduced the chance half my face gets cut off.

Same here. I quit june 9 2018 but traded it for the gum. My reason was having to get new life insurance and telling the truth. You can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve chewed for quite some time also. Quit for three years, started again. Have not had one sense Christmas. Not sure how long it will be this time but don’t miss it to bad at all.

Comment

Glad I opened this post. Been dipping 1-2 cans of Copenhagen for twenty years now and I think it’s just out of habit anymore. The hardest part is everyone one I know dips snuff. I quit for four months a couple of years ago and as soon as a buddy opened a can in my pickup I had to have one. For me in four months the want never did go away. Think I’ll give it another go tomorrow. My work is cracking down on it pretty hard and it’s a ton of money to just spit away. Thanks OP!

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
            Glad I opened this post. Been dipping 1-2 cans of Copenhagen for twenty years now and I think it’s just out of habit anymore. The hardest part is everyone one I know dips snuff. I quit for four months a couple of years ago and as soon as a buddy opened a can in my pickup I had to have one. For me in four months the want never did go away. Think I’ll give it another go tomorrow. My work is cracking down on it pretty hard and it’s a ton of money to just spit away. Thanks OP!
            Best of luck to ya. It is simply a habit. Buy some smoky mountain or tear open a tea bag and dip that instead.

Comment

I quit about 15 years ago. It’s a difficult habit to break. If you can go without for a day, you can go two. If you can go two days you can go a week and so on. Don’t give in.
              It eventually got better for me- but it’s takes commitment.

Hang tough guys- you can persevere.

Comment

A can a day habit is around $1,825 per year.

Comment

I participated in this thread back in December without mentioning I was still dipping but about to take another stab at quitting. The last time I quit I switched to the gum with the intent of gradually easing off of that. Instead, I just developed a very expensive nic gum habit which lead me back to snuff - I knew I needed to quit nicotine completely.

I had my last dip on New Year's Eve so I'm about 6 weeks in. No nic gum this time. The first 2-3 weeks was really tough. (Not just the cravings - I did not realize insomnia was common with nicotine withdrawal.) Now that some time has gone by, I still get the cravings but they are generally not as strong and go away quicker. Dipping the fake stuff - Smoky Mountain - has helped. The info and support on www.kickthecan.org has helped as well. According that site, 100 days is some kind of magic number. If you can make it that long you are not home free, but chances of permanent success goes up greatly. I'm not halfway to that 100 day mark but I am determined to make this my last quit. 35 years is long enough to be controlled by a chemical.

Comment

just ordered the sample pack of smoky mountain to try after reading this thread

Comment

You can do it. Im going on 16 months snuff free. This is after a 30 year, 2-3 can per day habit. I never thought i could quit, but i quit cold turkey. If i can do it, anybody can.

Comment

You can do it - going on 7 weeks now for me, do not even think about it much now. First three weeks were rough - after that? Has been easier than I thought. KJ

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                          HEB and Smokey Mountain will be your best friend. I stopped after 30 years no problem you got this!
                          I stopped when skoal was pulled from the shelves a few years ago. Smokey Mountain helped get past the first month. Since I've been good to go.

Good luck and stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
                            Any other place than HEB to get Smokey Mountain? I don’t have an HEB near me.

Brookshire Brothers have it and I think you can order it online. Just google it

Comment

I quit a 35 year habit 1 ago January with tooth picks was the best thing I ever did. Now I have to get my son to give it up.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                I participated in this thread back in December without mentioning I was still dipping but about to take another stab at quitting. The last time I quit I switched to the gum with the intent of gradually easing off of that. Instead, I just developed a very expensive nic gum habit which lead me back to snuff - I knew I needed to quit nicotine completely.

I had my last dip on New Year's Eve so I'm about 6 weeks in. No nic gum this time. The first 2-3 weeks was really tough. (Not just the cravings - I did not realize insomnia was common with nicotine withdrawal.) Now that some time has gone by, I still get the cravings but they are generally not as strong and go away quicker. Dipping the fake stuff - Smoky Mountain - has helped. The info and support on www.kickthecan.org has helped as well. According that site, 100 days is some kind of magic number. If you can make it that long you are not home free, but chances of permanent success goes up greatly. I'm not halfway to that 100 day mark but I am determined to make this my last quit. 35 years is long enough to be controlled by a chemical.
                                Stay with it man! I finally got over the hump. Think it's been 4 or 5 years now after 40 years.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X