No announcement yet.

Quitting the smokeless habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I quit cold turkey about a month ago after 30+ years. No Smokey Mountain or anything as a crutch. You can do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by swanjts View Post
      I quit cold turkey about a month ago after 30+ years. No Smokey Mountain or anything as a crutch. You can do it too.
      There's absolutely no other way in my opinion other than cold turkey. I've been dipping for 15 years up until about 6 years ago when I did quit for 2 years cold turkey until relapsing. A few months back I did ween myself off of snuff by decreasing my intake, I tried nicotine gum but it didn't do much for me as it didn't give me the anywhere near the Copenhagen fix I was used too, not to mention made me hickup uncontrollably. What truly did it for me, was having my 2 year old daughter one weekend, in which she spit on the ground after me mimicking my motions and I said enough! 6 weeks to the day I have been clean, I chose a Friday because it gave me all weekend to coop myself up inside away from everybody to get past the withdrawls. The first three days were a living heck, but followed by a huge relief, with a bittersweet struggle up to about the 2 week mark. After 2 weeks I did also experience some depression unlike I have ever experienced before, it lasted about a week but I did overcome that darkness. I did purchase some Smokey Mountain fake dip a couple times in between when I got some intense cravings, and it did help tremendously. I get some moments of being a little snippy, or irritable overcoming the stresses of my profession from time to time, but can definately say Ive got it licked. I strongly urge anybody quitting recently or thinking about quitting to check out the website Kill The Can as it is an encyclopedia of knowledge regarding what to expect, and what can happen if you dont quit with lots of support. Good luck, If I can you can!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

YOU CAN DO IT !!! It sucks but just have to take it one day at a time.

2 Years Ago.
          Son (3rd Grade): "Why do you and mommy do drugs?"
          Me: "Buddy, we don't do drugs."
          Son: "Yes you do. You and mom smoke cigarettes. They are drugs too."
          Me: "Do you want us to quit?"
          Son: "Yes daddy."

SO we quit COLD TURKEY WHILE ON VACATION AT DISNEY WORLD !!!!

Comment

When I started dipping the cheapest stuff was called happy days and it was 15 cents or so. Bull Durham plug tobacco was cheaper than Happy Days. My great grandma was snorting snuff and I can remember it, said “TOP” on the can
            Last edited by Radar; 12-14-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I quit cold turkey after 21 years of hagen snuff. Lots of good reasons to quit. Just make up your mind to quit and you CAN quit. If you like to hunt and fish, think about how much fishin gear and huntin equipment you can buy by not buyin tobacco. Figure up how much it cost in a week and multiply by 52. Lot of money in a year thats bein spit out or swallowed. It's a mind set. Lots of folks on green screen to give you support. I did it. Believe you can too.

Comment

Jan 2 will be one year for me. Traded a Snuff addiction for a nicotine gum addiction. My breath smells good, no spit cups around and I've reduced the chance half my face gets cut off.

Comment

I’m trying to stop chewing red man . Been pretty hard .

Comment

Ive traded the cope for nicotine gum so many times ive lost count. Now i use both. Throwin cope away right now. I got 3 blister pavks of gum left and im done.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread OP, just went my first whole day with out and snuff! It was terrible but I made it with the help of some Smokey mountain though. Good luck hope your hangin in there!

Comment

Stay focused. I quit snuff on my son’s birthday a year and a half ago. I had dipped almost 20 years.

Comment

I just got a few cans of Smoky Mountain. Not bad. For those that use it, do you still spit or just swallow it? From everything I have seen ingredient wise, I can't see a reason to spit it out other than that is what you are used to. I'm using the pouches and it seems weird to spit fairly clear spit. I know some don't spit cope, etc but I'm talking to the ones that spit tobacco. Thanks

Comment

For you guys struggling, forget the gum. It's too different. Go to the lozenges. Start with the 4s, then go to 2s, then quit.

I am at over 4 years and I will never dip again. I began with Copenhagen at 11, at quit at 52. You do the math. But you have to want to quit, and be dedicated.

The reason the lozenges work when the gum doesn't is that they are very, very similar. In fact, if you don't watch your step, you'll get addicted to the lozenges.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                              I just got a few cans of Smoky Mountain. Not bad. For those that use it, do you still spit or just swallow it? From everything I have seen ingredient wise, I can't see a reason to spit it out other than that is what you are used to. I'm using the pouches and it seems weird to spit fairly clear spit. I know some don't spit cope, etc but I'm talking to the ones that spit tobacco. Thanks

Been thinking about this thread, Thanks to it I’ve been snuffles exactly 3 weeks now. Went through 6 cans of Smokey mountain the mint pouches any had no need to spit. Sometimes still did out of habit and to make it feel more like sniff maybe but didn’t have too. Heart burn I was dealing with went away after the last sip also. Been 4 days with out the SM now and glad of it l, was getting pretty used to it too although it was very helpful the first couple weeks now it’s just mint gum

Comment

Last week at church our guest pastor had a good sermon about asking for help and then trusting that it would be done. I've heard this type of message before many times. Well this time I gave all my worries over to the lord. I know these things will be taken care of.
                                The funny thing is quitting my 30 + year smokeless tobacco habit was not even on my mind at the time. I was going to stop on the way home and grab a few cans for the next couple days when I realized I didn't actually want to buy it. Normally I would kinda get freaked out at the thought of running out. So I went into the store and bought some smoky mountain instead.
                                I no longer desire tobacco, been almost a week and I have not had any trouble with out it.
                                Thank you Lord

Comment

Working...
                                X