No announcement yet.

Quitting the smokeless habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit Copenhagen after 30 years. Quit several times before but this last time was 6 years ago. I used Chantix and had a determined mind. The Chantix cut my cravings by 60% I'd say. Sure glad it's behind me for good.
    I'm no stranger to addictions. No drugs or alcohol for 25 years. Copenhagen was harder than those to kick. Stay strong.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out Fully Loaded Chew

Comment

I quit on Oct. 11th 2014..... I really enjoy not being controlled by it now though it wasn't easy. You got this, it's just a mindset.

Coincidentally Oct 11th was the last time I shot a buck. Maybe it was my lucky charm.

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

My father n law quit cold turkey after dipping for 30+ years. He saw a close friend/coworker loose his life to throat cancer from it and told me he didn’t want to do the same. He said he had grandkids to watch grow up and wanted to be there for them. I didn’t think he could do it but it’s been 2-3 years and he’s still going strong! You can do it!

Comment

Originally posted by GOODEN View Post
              My father n law quit cold turkey after dipping for 30+ years. He saw a close friend/coworker loose his life to throat cancer from it and told me he didn’t want to do the same. He said he had grandkids to watch grow up and wanted to be there for them. I didn’t think he could do it but it’s been 2-3 years and he’s still going strong! You can do it!
              When you see someone lose their jaw or cheek from mouth cancer, makes you think. I had no problem quitting when

Comment

Originally posted by GOODEN View Post
                When you see someone lose their jaw or cheek from mouth cancer, makes you think. I had no problem quitting when I seen the affects.

Comment

Everyone has to find their reason.... Mine was when Obammy raised the taxes and almost doubled the cost.

My go-to substitute was that mornings used coffee grounds and about 1/2-1 tsp of whiskey in a snuff can... free and did the job.

Comment

I think cold turkey is the way to go, using whatever works for you to satisfy the "oral fixation". For some that may be fake snuff, for others mints, etc. Don't do what I did- I switched to nicorette gum. While eliminating the cancer risk of tobacco all you have done is change to a safer nicotine delivery system - the addiction is still there. Quitting nic gum is just as hard and that stuff is crazy expensive. Better to put it down knowing it will be painful and you will be quite grumpy for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      I think cold turkey is the way to go, using whatever works for you to satisfy the "oral fixation". For some that may be fake snuff, for others mints, etc. Don't do what I did- I switched to nicorette gum. While eliminating the cancer risk of tobacco all you have done is change to a safer nicotine delivery system - the addiction is still there. Quitting nic gum is just as hard and that stuff is crazy expensive. Better to put it down knowing it will be painful and you will be quite grumpy for a while.
                      Agree!

I tried this a few times and just went back to the Cope. Only thing that worked was cold turkey for me.

Comment

You can do it!! I dipped for almost 15 years - 7 years tobacco free

Comment

I quit back in Feb Cold Turkey when my friends dad had both jawbones removed and it happens fast.The first 100days are tough,after the first 3 or 4 days it gets easier.Get you some BACCOFF from amazon,its nicotine free and feels the closest to the real deal.Do some reading on killthecan its a pretty good site.hang in there.

Comment

You can do it. First three days was the hardest for me. But after that it got easier. Peppermints between my cheek and gum helped a lot.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Started out with Copenhagen when I was 13. Went to Red Seal long cut when Copenhagen got so expensive. Been dipping now for 48 years and have been thinking about quitting.

Thanks to this thread I think I'll try.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X