When to hang it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdb View Post
    For you guys that are retired, what was it that lead to your decision? Was it years of service, your age or a number goal in your nest egg or health?
    Just turned 62 and will have 30 years next January if I can keep my mouth under control.!!! Along with 10 former years in the oil patch. Total of 40.
    For me, biggest issue is affordable insurance leaving early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hate to say it but Im just creeping up on 21 years at the same place but been under the worst supervisor in those 21 for the last 2. Like my job but man he makes it hard to stay around. Hes infected the entire staff. If I could Id punch that ticket tomorrow.

Until then Im in for tips from the lucky guys

Comment

I enjoy what I do and I am an equity partner in my business and run the show... I could retire tomorrow, but there are other families that are depending on me. I've socked away the maximum amount allowed in my 401K/IRA's since I was in my mid 20's... At the time, I didn't see the real importance of what I was doing... My dad just told me to pay attention and do it. I am SO glad I listened to him... The older I get, the smarter my dad gets... He went home in 1999... My wife is younger, so it wouldn't do me any real good to retire with her still working... When she reaches retirement age with full benefits from SSA, we will both retire... We bought our farm so our grandsons would have a place to live and grow in the outdoors and to give us both something to "retire to"... If I am blessed to be able to carry out this plan, it will happen in January of '23... That is IF there is still such a place as the United States of America... If the DemoKrauts get in charge of things, we may not last that long... Folks you need to go vote for your own retirement!! DemoKrauts are NOT the right answer for retirement!! You youngsters need to remember this!! Ask ANYONE and they'll tell you they made more money and lived better when the Repulsians were in charge... been that way since the Great Depression and even more so now a days with the hard left turn the DemoKrauts have taken... The bigger the gubment gets, the smaller your retirement will get... It's just that simple.

Comment

I'm almost 74 and retired at 63. I never looked back. I wish I had retired at 60.

Comment

I am on my 2nd week of retirement due to RIF. I will be 62 in 3 months and have decided to go ahead and retire even thigh I wanted to work till 65. I am lucky that I can get on my wife`s insurance who is retired, only if I am laid off. Saved us over 900 a month. I will probably file for my SSI sometime next year after all of my severance benefits expire. Being debt free also makes the decision easier.

Comment

I am 50 and hoping to retire from my 55-60 hour a week job in 8 years and then hope to find a part time job that gives me insurance and a small check....I am single and no kids so also looking at moving to Cozumel or possibly Panama. Heath insurance is easily my biggest concern with early retirement...

Comment

I was forced to hang it up a couple years ago due to long term respiratory exposure.

It took me quite a while to come to grips with being forced to retire at 46 with 25 years in the work force.

I was able to find something I love to do as a hobby. It is now a blessing to be retired and be able to spend so much time with my wife, daughter and the dogs.

Comment

I blew my knees out after 35 years of heavy electrical construction and my Dr told me I was too young for replacements and not strong enough to return to work. We have no light duty. So here I am at 56 retired and limited physically( can't drag deer and can't climb trees). Money/insurance is not the issue for me, that is covered. My sons(3) are all out and independent. That makes it easier. Put as much as you can into your deferred salary plan(401K). You will be surprised by what a working man can end up with. Sometimes you do not get a choice about when or how you go.

Comment

Retired 2 yrs ago day after tomorrow at 58. BEST thing I ever did for me & my health. I was there 40 yrs and the last several years , I hated every morning I got up to go to work.

Comment

Great thread and lots of good responses.

I could have retired a couple a years ago but I enjoy what I do. I have never really gone to work a day in my life to be honest. I hadn't given it much thought. I am 58 with 37 years in the same field.

But, having the last six months off (actually NOT going to the office and working from home) due to covid has made it really hard to go back to the office this past few weeks. I basically did what I wanted to do and when I wanted to during covid time.
                    Here is the next ( but). During covid we couldn't go do anything we really wanted to! So now we want to go do things and I am back at work.

Very confusing!

Comment

I was very lucky to start at the Sheriffs dept at 21. Did 33 and retired at 54 making considerably more than I did while i was working and have good insurance. Its been 2 years now and could not be happier! Best thing is my wife also had 33 and did the same thing.

I've been at the lease bumming around for the last couple of days. Waiting on Glen to show up now and fish for a few more. Life is good!
                      Last edited by doug; 09-16-2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I retired at 50 and now at 64 I sure don't have time for a job. I did well enough in business to not have to worry financially

Comment

For a lot of people health insurance is the driver in the retirement decision.

Comment

Some great testimonies and advice for sure.
                            And
                            I will 100% agree with voting for our retirement and our family’s future.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                              For a lot of people health insurance is the driver in the retirement decision.

Yes. Definitely prior to getting on Medicare.

Comment

I’m ready. 4 more years to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X