No announcement yet.

Lizard Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was as big as we wanted to wrestle with. My uncle is 6’4 and about 250 for reference.

Comment

What do yall shoot them with?

Comment

We spent about 3 1/2 hours processing up the meat this morning. I’m sure glad I took an extra day off work, I wouldn’t have been much good today. Didn’t weigh it, it I’d say we have around 50 pounds of cleaned and processed meat off of them.

You guys that know how to cook them, what are some good ways to cook this? All I’ve ever done is cry the tail, never done anything else with gator. I’m open to any recipes you ay have, or even recommendations on something good.

Comment

I’ve grinded it up before and made fried gator patties. It’s dang good

Comment

The best gator I had was mardi gras in New Orleans - a street vendor had blackened gator po boys.. you should do it like that.. remoulade sauce? Now I’m hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
              We spent about 3 1/2 hours processing up the meat this morning. I’m sure glad I took an extra day off work, I wouldn’t have been much good today. Didn’t weigh it, it I’d say we have around 50 pounds of cleaned and processed meat off of them.

You guys that know how to cook them, what are some good ways to cook this? All I’ve ever done is cry the tail, never done anything else with gator. I’m open to any recipes you ay have, or even recommendations on something good.
              It's like brisket. You need to slice it correctly or it can be tough.

The "tubes" or loins under the tail was the best part to me. The meat on the feet is worth it as well.

I've heard to smoke the jowls and it will slice like Turkey.

We ate both ours within a month or so. Grilled, fried and in gumbo

Google is your friend

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

We got our lines out in some great looking places. Saw a couple HUGE ones and put lines where we seen them. Saw 8-10 smaller gators also. Should be good in the morning. On way out saw 2 decent size gators under one of our baits. Very excited to say the least. Update tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                  We got our lines out in some great looking places. Saw a couple HUGE ones and put lines where we seen them. Saw 8-10 smaller gators also. Should be good in the morning. On way out saw 2 decent size gators under one of our baits. Very excited to say the least. Update tomorrow.
                  Maybe one of the huge ones will run the others off. Those lines be down tomorrow

Comment

That's awesome Red-fin, hope you catch a couple of monsters. What unit are you in, always curious how the different units end up?

Comment

In for more gator pictures

Comment

Come on with it. Those lines had to be down this morning.

Comment

Yes! Updates please!!!

Comment

Epic Gator Hunt

Well I had this written up but lost it.

Hit the water this am at 6:30. Excitement was high. First set was a knockdown and had a gator as the line was stretched out but empty, no bait either. Rebait and moved on. Second line was the one with gators under when we left last evening, zero, no knockdown. Third line knocked down, big gator, all tangled in weeds, finally got weeds cleared and gator came right up and quick perfect shot by one of the boys, 10’ gator in boat!! Now we we hootin and hollerin big time. Very excited. Fourth line knocked down, stretched out in open water. Start pulling and bigger than other gator we just landed comes up. Fighting like a bull. Fighting so hard and so much I drop line couple times and start over not wanting to horse him. Almost had a shot 2 times and just too crazy. Third time to top and he goes crazy and hook pulls. Dang!! Reset and take a break.

Snagged small gators 2 times but didn’t hold enough for shot but exciting anyway. Like 5’ ers. Back to lines, final run and pulling them up. One more knockdown and the last line has gator, again open water and green gator! This time I just horsed him, took forever for the shot seemed like. No taking any chances with 11 year old shooter. Must be safe and perfect. Well he nailed him and both boys scored nice gators, this one was 8’.

We had so much fun! tPWD peeps were awesome and very helpful. Met 2 TBH guys and they were very helpful. Learned a ton on this trip. Learned that chicken in a 5 gal bucket for 3 days smells like a portapotty located in the bowels of hell in summer! We all have a blast and the twins will never forget this trip for sure!

Need help with pictures as my phone won’t resize.
                            Last edited by red-fin; 09-16-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Rex, Stephen sent me the one pic with the boys and gators on the dock. If you’ve got more, just text them to me and I’ll upload for you. So happy y’all had success though. That’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations on your gators

Comment

Working...
                                X