Richland Creek South hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richland Creek South hunt

Anyone have tips for hunting Richland Creek South Unit? Super excited to have been drawn for this hunt!!

Regular or post card draw?

If oaks are dropping find one and hunt that. Oaks are not as abundant as one would think in a river bottom. More ash and bitter pecan.

Good luck. Wee will be down there in Dec

Comment

I got drawn for the south on the Oct 16-25 hunt, I'm excited to hunt it I have never been. Some buddies and I are going in a couple weeks after teal and hoping to scope it out a bit before hand.

Comment

Our group will also be there for the oct. 16th Hunt period on the south unit.

Comment

I don't have much expectations here, but I will probably attend this one

Comment

Anyone have a bead on how flooded the area is right now?

Comment

I'll be there for the November hunt

Comment

Its not flooded right now. I would use a climber and look for trails or acorns falling

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                  Its not flooded right now. I would use a climber and look for trails or acorns falling
                  Must have been major dry, precip map show 8 inches of rain all the way up the trinity to Ellis county the last few days and up to 15 inches around Chambers

Comment

In late December would the acorns still be a reliable food source for them? Or at that point, is there something else they seek out

Comment

I was drawn for oct. 2nd anyone else have those dates? Looking at onX it doesn’t look the best but always up to try a new area.

Comment

Is this the 1st year that baiting is allowed?

Did anyone else draw the Dec. 4th Hunt? I’ll be there solo.
                        Last edited by Sideler; 09-05-2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                          Is this the 1st year that baiting is allowed?

Did anyone else draw the Dec. 4th Hunt? I’ll be there solo.
                          Maybe... I know Gus changed their stance on baiting 3-4 years ago I think? and started allowing it.

Originally posted by Krogers View Post
                          Looking at onX it doesn’t look the best but always up to try a new area.
                          You guys need to stop depending on tech and actually get out there and scout, from scouting it a few years ago the south unit deer density is many times more than gus engeling just down the road but engeling looks much better on maps.
                          Last edited by bossbowman; 09-05-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Hard to really scout a 15 sq mile area in detail when the hunt is by compartment and you have no idea where you are going to be hunting until the day of the hunt. It would be awesome if they notified you of which compartment you would be hunting ahead of time.

With that said, I would like to go check out the area to get a feel for the terrain and the general area on Monday morning. I've never hunted this type of place before and never visited this wma. Is it ok to just show up on Monday morning and hike into the WMA? Also, is there only one entry point into the WMA?

I'm hiking Guadalupe Peak on Saturday so this will be a good chance for a little warmup hike too.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                              Hard to really scout a 15 sq mile area in detail when the hunt is by compartment and you have no idea where you are going to be hunting until the day of the hunt. It would be awesome if they notified you of which compartment you would be hunting ahead of time.

With that said, I would like to go check out the area to get a feel for the terrain and the general area on Monday morning. I've never hunted this type of place before and never visited this wma. Is it ok to just show up on Monday morning and hike into the WMA? Also, is there only one entry point into the WMA?

I'm hiking Guadalupe Peak on Saturday so this will be a good chance for a little warmup hike too.
                              Are you sure the e-postcard are still by compartment? Theres multiple entry points, I think with the APH permit in hand you are good to scout, I drew a few years ago and bought the LPU permit to be legal to scout back then, the APH wasn't required to be bought to apply for the draw at that time, they changed that in 2019.

Comment

Working...
                              X