AR10's Give me some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    The AR10 is pretty pointless imo. They clunky , overly large, and heavy. There are plenty of great hunting rounds for the AR15, if you require more range or “knockdown” than they offer, might as well jump into a bolt rifle or more conventional hunting semi-auto as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Falkor in .300 win mag. Probably my favorite hunting gun when sitting in a box blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Haven't checked in awhile, but they used to sell high capacity magazines for the Remington semi auto's and pumps, too. If you are just wanting a semi to go along with the bolt gun.

Comment

I have one in both 243 and 308. I sold the 308 and bought a ruger sfar in 308 as others have stated they are heavy mine has a 4-16-44 scope on it and weighs in at 10 but I wanted one in 243 and if you are going to go sit in a blind weight does not effect it in my opinion. I would not want to lug thru the woods all day or night with it that’s for sure

Comment

I don't get your confusion. He wants a 243. Plenty of options in an ar15 that do what it does. 6.5 grendel for instance. If you're going to add the extra weight an expense of an ar10, go 308 or bigger.

Comment

There’s no reason to go AR10 just for .308 either, just use your bolt gun.

I’m a fan of the Grendel, but it’s not a .243.

Comment

There’s no reason to go AR10 just for .308 either, just use your bolt gun.

I’m a fan of the Grendel, but it’s not a .243.

Just my opinion. Yours may differ, that's why choices are a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
                Just my opinion. Yours may differ, that's why choices are a good thing.

Yeah, for sure. I just don’t get the differentiating between and AR10 and a bolt gun, based on .243 and .308. But that’s fine too.

Comment

I bought a Ruger sfar in 308. Basically an ar15 in 308. Super light weight as compared to a standard ar 10. Super happy with the gun. Read about a guy who rebarreled in 243. Would be an awesome rig

Ruger hit a home run with the sfar!

Weighs just under 7 lbs from the factory.

Comment

I have an AR10 in 308 and its a fun gun. I have a bolt 308 and its fun too. But I like the AR10 for what it is. They need to be oiled up to run right. But its not a walk around the hills gun. Its a drive around or sit around and shoot gun.

The best AR that I have is AR15 in the 458 socom. I put a red dot on it and its fun to carry and shoot. Just know that it is 2.00 a trigger pull

Comment

Get a tripod with pneumatic tires and a 2 inch trailer hitch…

Nah, mine is only like 10 pounds. lol My ten gauge weighs more.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                        I bought a Ruger sfar in 308. Basically an ar15 in 308. Super light weight as compared to a standard ar 10. Super happy with the gun. Read about a guy who rebarreled in 243. Would be an awesome rig

Ruger hit a home run with the sfar!

Weighs just under 7 lbs from the factory.
                        If you really want a .308 in an AR platform this is what I would do.

Other than that I agree with Dale.

Comment

I have a couple AR10's, one of them being in 243. I dont pretend to know the answer to this but I would do some searching on the internet on what grain ammo you have and then see what the general consensus is on barrel length and twist rate.

I have gotten used to the weight of the AR10 so it doesnt bother me. With that said the Ruger SFAR is very appealing to me but my understanding it is only available in 308. I just really like the speed and flatness of a light grain 243 bullet.

Comment

Bear creek arsenal makes a 243. That’s the route I’d go

Comment

Look at barrels from x-caliber.net. They have everything fully customizable. If you're worried about weight, look at a carbon wrapped barrel and go with something like 16". You could even go 14.5" and then pin and weld the muzzle device. I think a 14.5" 243 would be a great hunting rifle. I could put together a list of parts if you wanted.

Comment

Problem with gas guns is you just can’t get the velocity like a bolt gun.

I shot long range and hunted with a ar-10 I built in a .260 rem and could never get a 140gr bullet much over 2700fps without blowing primers and having other issues. With that being said I did make several 1000 yard and further shots on targets and Amy furthest kill was 750 yards.

Like others said they are heavy and bulky. Mine weighed 17lbs with a loaded mag. Not trying to talk you out of it but depending on what you're going to use it for it may work good for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X