Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diddy poles, bank lines, limb lines etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 hook lines with a brick on the end for me. tie to a limber limb with lots of give to it. i use drop thru swivels with 7/0 hooks for live perch thru the back. 3/0 hooks with worm or shrimp or pig liver for smaller fish. do best with falling river, rising river usually brings trash down. caught plenty of big flatheads throughout the years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by duckmanep; 05-22-2023, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I thought the larger fish would pull a pole like these out of the bank, but as long as they flex they hold into the mud if you can get em into it a couple feet...

Comment

Ran 100 hooks this weekend on the Brazos. We were targeting big yellowcat but got tore up by small blues. Didn't help that the river came up 6 ft after our lines were set out for a river with no current. Had to move 80 of those 100 hooks for day 2.

Fished several different hooks - J, circle, tru turn. I was pretty impressed with these Korean Amazon hooks in 15/0. Circle hook but with plenty of gap for large baits.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&redirect=true

Comment

Im ready to set some lines this weekend.
          Anyone have any pointers on how to catch perch in the river, seems harder that using a trap in a pond. Ill leave out the trap for 4 or 5 hours and only catch a handful or perch.

Comment

Sometimes I feel like I have to move a trap around or run smaller traps and set in different places to figure out where they’re hanging.

Another thing you could try is chum an area with dog food or cotton seed and get them packed in a area then set a trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
              Sometimes I feel like I have to move a trap around or run smaller traps and set in different places to figure out where they’re hanging.

Thanks for the pointers, I have never heard of cotton seed for fish how does that work?

Another thing you could try is chum an area with dog food or cotton seed and get them packed in an area then set a trap.

Comment

Great-Uncle used to do it. Pack a burlap sack with cottonseed and a weight, poke some holes in it then tie it to a tree and chunk it off in a hole you wanted to chum. He swore it’d bring the bait fish in.

Comment

Who all is setting lines this weekend?
                  Any other pointers for setting perch traps in a river, set on bottom or suspend, etc...

Comment

Im throwing a few lines this weekend.
                    Catching perch in a cast net.

Making limb lines…guess that’s what you call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mudcats about 5-6" long are some killer flathead bait and will live for days on the hook so long as they can swim around some. I like single hook sets with the bait just below the surface maybe 6" to a foot where you can barely see it. Limb lines on creeks with water running muddy and set close to the bank, like 3-4 feet out. When flatheads are feeding at night they will run the edges of the banks up shallow.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        Mudcats about 5-6" long are some killer flathead bait and will live for days on the hook so long as they can swim around some. I like single hook sets with the bait just below the surface maybe 6" to a foot where you can barely see it. Limb lines on creeks with water running muddy and set close to the bank, like 3-4 feet out. When flatheads are feeding at night they will run the edges of the banks up shallow.

Yup I’ll throw a few with the line completely out and others I’ll tie it with the top swivel right at the water’s surface so they make some noise.

Comment

We went this weekend and didnt have good luck. I am still having a hard time catching bluegill in the river for bait. The traps dont catch many good size ones and catching them on rod and reel using worms proved to be harder than expected. I thought catching bait would be the easiest part

Comment

where are you fishing? catching perch is easy

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                            We went this weekend and didnt have good luck. I am still having a hard time catching bluegill in the river for bait. The traps dont catch many good size ones and catching them on rod and reel using worms proved to be harder than expected. I thought catching bait would be the easiest part

Comment

We didnt set lines, but went noodling Limestone last weekend, all of our fish came from 3ft of water or less, All yellows were shallow, we pulled some out of holes in 8inchs of water, blues were all 2-3ft

Comment

Originally posted by DaleGribble View Post
                                where are you fishing? catching perch is easy
                                San Saba river east of Menard. If i cant figure out how to catch them in the river might have to find someone with a pond local that wants some removed.

Comment

Working...
                                X