Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diddy poles, bank lines, limb lines etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
    3/4" I would imagine on bigger perch.

Right now I'm really just trying to learn how to catch big flathead. I don't have much trouble with channels and blues to just fill the freezer.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk
    Hand size live perch fish shallow now 3-6 feet deeper later on as it warms up fish the bends and points single hook behind **** fin.

Comment

Diddy poles, bank lines, limb lines etc.

For Limb lines I really like Dennis’ sets here:

I make mine 18-24’ long with #48 braided tar main line and stages are #12 braided tar and set them in all the places mentioned above. For bigger fish I just run two hooks for a set and four hook rigs for small blues/channel cats. The railroad J-hooks work to hold the bait but like river rat said they’ll move once fish is on but I’ve had good fish on both hooks at the same time.

I think my stages are about 12-16” long and on some I’ll set the top swivel just touching the water so the perch is prone to splash and make some noise others I’ll tie the very end and run the line towards the middle of the bayou and let’er sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What are you using for "poles" need to have some bend to allow fish to fight and not pull hard against. We used to use 1/4 or so fiberglass rods OR 1/2" willow limb if we could find em.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like most have you covered in their responses from my limited experience.

Couple things I would add, find a mudcat source for live bait sets.

Make sure what you are tying to is flexible enough to handle a bigger fish from straightening a hook.

I liked to target cut banks and the upstream side of laydowns/snags.

Comment

Also, if I'm tying off to something solid, without any give. I use a short rubber bungee cord or innertube for some shock absorption, especially on a short leader line

Comment

I made some bank poles last week and used them this weekend and they worked great. I had a hard time finding fiberglass poles until my buddy directed me to fiberglass rebar. Its called pinkbar and I really liked the way it preformed. Has good bend and looks like it will be durable. Ill attach the link for pinkbar and the YouTube video i used to make mine.

Shop Owens Corning PINKBAR+ 0.5-in x 10-ft Fiberglass #4 Rebar in the Rebar department at Lowe's.com. PINKBAR+ Fiberglas Rebar by Owens Corning Infrastructure Solutions is enabling Glas-Powered Concrete. Engineered to meet the performance standards you trust

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJyS1NhDS0A&t=8s&ab_channel=PhilCrockett"]HOMEMADE BANK POLES - Fiberglass Diddy Poles - YouTube[/ame]

I didnt look for the spine.

Comment

We used to use electrical SCH40 PVC conduit.

Comment

No way I'd use that rod system. I'm 95% sure I'd be losing them. I can't see that hog ring holding good enough or the pole in the bank. Maybe if I was in a place with biggest fish being less than 20# and I wanted eaters...

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                      What are you using for "poles" need to have some bend to allow fish to fight and not pull hard against. We used to use 1/4 or so fiberglass rods OR 1/2" willow limb if we could find em.
                      3/4" PVC poles. I watched a lot of YouTube before I decided on this. Lots of people catching 40+lb yellas with 1/2" so I would think I'm good on poles.
                      Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      Looks like most have you covered in their responses from my limited experience.

Couple things I would add, find a mudcat source for live bait sets.

Make sure what you are tying to is flexible enough to handle a bigger fish from straightening a hook.

I liked to target cut banks and the upstream side of laydowns/snags.
                      Just found a source for mudcats yesterday.
                      Originally posted by bsills View Post
                      I made some bank poles last week and used them this weekend and they worked great. I had a hard time finding fiberglass poles until my buddy directed me to fiberglass rebar. Its called pinkbar and I really liked the way it preformed. Has good bend and looks like it will be durable. Ill attach the link for pinkbar and the YouTube video i used to make mine.

Shop Owens Corning PINKBAR+ 0.5-in x 10-ft Fiberglass #4 Rebar in the Rebar department at Lowe's.com. PINKBAR+ Fiberglas Rebar by Owens Corning Infrastructure Solutions is enabling Glas-Powered Concrete. Engineered to meet the performance standards you trust

HOMEMADE BANK POLES - Fiberglass Diddy Poles - YouTube

I didnt look for the spine.
                      I looked real hard at the fiberglass poles. I went with PVC because I wanted something hollow. I don't want to fight a mess, (tangled lines) if I have to, I'll end up not going as often.

I built mine with the main line tied to a piece of rebar inside the PVC. The only thing outside of pipe is a swivel and weight, held to pole with a rubber band. No mess or tangles.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        No way I'd use that rod system. I'm 95% sure I'd be losing them. I can't see that hog ring holding good enough or the pole in the bank. Maybe if I was in a place with biggest fish being less than 20# and I wanted eaters...
                        I felt the same way until i watched so many You Tube videos about them being successful. I was mainly worried about a larger cat dragging off the pole, but we will see. I hadn't thought about the hog ring failing, but i guess anything is possible. You would actually be a great testimony to all the guys here if you used them. I would love to see your results with large cats.

Comment

I felt the same way until i watched so many You Tube videos about them being successful. I was mainly worried about a larger cat dragging off the pole, but we will see. I hadn't thought about the hog ring failing, but i guess anything is possible. You would actually be a great testimony to all the guys here if you used them. I would love to see your results with large cats.

I saw one on TikTok that had a 3” piece of pex pipe over the top of the fiberglass rod to reinforce the rod and not split it while tapping it in the bank.

Instead of a hog ring I’d just run a wire thru the hole with a swivel on it to attach my line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'd need to change rivers. Near zero chance that would hold up to a 150-250# gar. It'd just be gone LOL

Comment

Riverrat, how you posted your setups?

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                                Riverrat, how you posted your setups?

Everyone is different depending on how they feel about a few things.
                                Do they like or dislike circle hooks
                                Do they care if the get the line broke or snagged and lose a line/fish
                                How big the baits are they want to use
                                If they will hook into alligator gar
                                If they're after flatheads or blues
                                Eaters or only big fish
                                Still water or water with fast current
                                Clear or dirty water, how deep the water is (time of year) etc.

I only use 13/0 and 16/0 circle hooks. One hook per drop fished 2-4' beneath the surface. I find a tree over the river and tie far back to a main tree limb and then tie to the far smaller end over the water. If/when they break off they're still tied to the main tree. I also use a 1 gallon jug on some lines so that helps with more "give" also.

I'm very small "jug" line set-ups like noodles. The bigger fish just pull them under and get snagged to never be seen again. And angler just thinks he lost one. Some open waters are ok when using these but most catfishing places on rivers are not.

Comment

Working...
                                X