Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
    Why?

I will just say that there is a reason KOA cut ties with them.

ArchRay or Lady Bird Johnson are both a much more enjoyable stay in our experience and we camp in Fburge 4-5 times per year

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      Color me cornfused, where is all the grease going?
      I thought they were sealed and you could blow the seal if squirting in too much.
      Are we talking a few pumps each wheel or until it stops going in?
      Are you also removing any extra play periodically?

Not intended to be leading questions, I'm here to learn.

I WAS the guy on the side of the highway last summer due to wheel bearing failure- on a Saturday afternoon. Only cost me $750 with some no-name mexi- nascar car pit crew (glad to have them) that a hundred phone calls connected me with. They conjured up a matching wheelbearing set / hub with brake housing that matched what I had and had me back on the road in a few hours.

Funny part is they knew they had me over a barrel and connected me with a white dude on the other end of the phone that took my CC information before they would complete the work.

I know one thing - the Foremost Roadside assistance was USELESS.

My trailer has dexter axels as well. I put 5-10 pumps in mine atleast every 1000 miles. I shoot for that 500 mile mark but I don’t always get it done. Others may do it different but this has worked for me. I also ditched the 10 plys and went to 16 plys. I no longer worry about blow outs when the pavement gets hot. Most will say this is over kill but I pull my trailer a lot by most people’s standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To be clear, are y'all talking about the axles themselves or the Zerk fittings on the hub? We went to the Davis Mtns in Oct 2021 and before we left, I went through the grease pumping process. I raised each wheel off the ground and turned it as I pumped grease into the fitting. Went slow and the new grease started returning out the front as it supposed to with this procedure. Grease was fine when I had them repacked 6 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
          To be clear, are y'all talking about the axles themselves or the Zerk fittings on the hub? We went to the Davis Mtns in Oct 2021 and before we left, I went through the grease pumping process. I raised each wheel off the ground and turned it as I pumped grease into the fitting. Went slow and the new grease started returning out the front as it supposed to with this procedure. Grease was fine when I had them repacked 6 months later.
          These are the Dexter axles I have. The old grease comes out the front for easy clean up. Supposedly that is a Dexter design.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
            These are the Dexter axles I have. The old grease comes out the front for easy clean up. Supposedly that is a Dexter design.
            Looks like what I have too, good to know and good info about them here-

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              I will just say that there is a reason KOA cut ties with them.

ArchRay or Lady Bird Johnson are both a much more enjoyable stay in our experience and we camp in Fburge 4-5 times per year
              Ok sir....
              I have been staying in this campground for several years and have always been happy, no problems and no complaint's. I camp in Fredericksburg at least 4-5 times a year as well.

I have stayed at Lady Bird and also Oak Wood on Hwy 16 and they are really nice campgrounds as well, so I do change up sometimes, but Bending Oaks is always quite and relaxing to us and closer to Luckenbach!!

Thanks for your recommendation....may have to try ArchRay.
              Maybe, we may run into each someday and have a cold one...
              Be safe!!

Comment

I would look into picking up an extra hub assembly to store in the trailer somewhere.

Comment

We are members of Coach Net and hope we never have to use them.

Comment

Just got me one of these. Have had my camper for 2 years, and always used a camco brass inline regulator. After a couple leak repairs, I wasn't so sure it was working anymore and wanted one with a gauge.

Here is an FYI I learned from my leak adventure. Seems all the trailer builders these days are using a mixture of vinyl tubing, pex fittings, and pex pipe. The pex fittings are real loose in the vinyl, and the crimps don't get them quite tight enough. While in Big Bend I found water dripping under my camper from the belly pan, and I had water on the bathroom floor. Ended up being a leak under the shower, and a leak under the floor deck on a line running to the shower. I replaced all the vinyl with pex, and pex brass fittings. At every sink & toilet I added shut of valve like you would in a house. I hope my water leak problems are a thing of the past!
                    Last edited by Palmetto; 04-06-2023, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Also found where the mice where getting in. Nice big 12" square hole in the floor.

There was also open floor holes under bathroom sink, kitchen sink, and in the wet bay. All of those are full of foam now!!

This is under the shower

This is under the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Palmetto; 04-06-2023, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Good find, those are some gaping huge holes!

Comment

We have a week planned going to Orange Beach Alabama for the Red Snapper opener at the end of May.

Also doing a 10 day trip in July going to Frio River first then to Gulf Water RV Resort in Port Aransas.

Comment

Lots of great information, and I plan on looking at my bearings, now.
                            I pulled out the 5th wheel and did some minor things like installing a new sewer storage tube underneath, checked the tire pressure, checked plumbing fittings to make sure all is tight, installed 90's on fittings at the trailer, installed quick connects on hose fittings, and my wife did a good first cleaning inside.
                            How do I know what axels I have, is it stamped somewhere on them? Also, I'm looking into replacing my equalizers at the leaf springs. The ones that came with my trailer are crap. The shackles aren't very thick. I'm thinking of using MORryde, or something like them. Has anyone swapped theirs out? There's plenty of videos online, and it doesn't look too difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                              Breckenridge park on Lake Texana is our favorite that is fairly close to us. We are heading to Tyler State Park for 4 days April 13-16 for a much needed break.
                              We stayed @ Tyler state park for the first time in 2001. Loved it there. It was in the winter and reminded me of being in Colorado with all the pine trees. We had 4 campers from 93 till 2017 when I sold my last one. Pulled them to Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma and all over Texas during that time. We luckily only had one tire I had to change (woke up and it was flat) during that time and never an issue with breaks or axles. Never had a blow out or any damage from one. The first year (1993) we had our Dutchmen 5th wheel, we spent 62 nights on Proctor Lake (fishing mostly). Have great memories from many, many trips with family and friends. Retired 2 years ago and really enjoy the simplicity of just getting in my truck or the wife`s car and go at the drop of the bucket without all the prep required on a camping trip. Everyone is different though. Two couples that we always camped with back in the 90`s sold everything they owned and live in their camper year round. They do complain that the cost of fuel, campsites and replacement cost for campers and trucks has been more than they anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
                                Lots of great information, and I plan on looking at my bearings, now.
                                I pulled out the 5th wheel and did some minor things like installing a new sewer storage tube underneath, checked the tire pressure, checked plumbing fittings to make sure all is tight, installed 90's on fittings at the trailer, installed quick connects on hose fittings, and my wife did a good first cleaning inside.
                                How do I know what axels I have, is it stamped somewhere on them? Also, I'm looking into replacing my equalizers at the leaf springs. The ones that came with my trailer are crap. The shackles aren't very thick. I'm thinking of using MORryde, or something like them. Has anyone swapped theirs out? There's plenty of videos online, and it doesn't look too difficult.

Lubing mine now and saw this-
                                So the rubber cap should might say what brand it is.

And yes my first wheel took plenty of pumps before flushing some forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X