No announcement yet.

2023 RV/Camping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grease my axels every 500 miles and have never had a problem since I started doing this. That’s the one thing that is an all out show stopper when you loose a wheel bearing and it’s no fun to fix on the side of the road. Be prepared to change a blow out. Even running good tires and keeping them inflated properly it happens! An 18 volt impact and a good jack can make this much easier to mitigate. Prepare for the worst and enjoy your new adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulled my camper out of the barn last night, going to be a lot of rain on this camping trip.
      Attached Files

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
          I grease my axels every 500 miles and have never had a problem since I started doing this. That’s the one thing that is an all out show stopper when you loose a wheel bearing and it’s no fun to fix on the side of the road. Be prepared to change a blow out. Even running good tires and keeping them inflated properly it happens! An 18 volt impact and a good jack can make this much easier to mitigate. Prepare for the worst and enjoy your new adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Color me cornfused, where is all the grease going?
          I thought they were sealed and you could blow the seal if squirting in too much.
          Are we talking a few pumps each wheel or until it stops going in?
          Are you also removing any extra play periodically?

Not intended to be leading questions, I'm here to learn.

I WAS the guy on the side of the highway last summer due to wheel bearing failure- on a Saturday afternoon. Only cost me $750 with some no-name mexi- nascar car pit crew (glad to have them) that a hundred phone calls connected me with. They conjured up a matching wheelbearing set / hub with brake housing that matched what I had and had me back on the road in a few hours.

Funny part is they knew they had me over a barrel and connected me with a white dude on the other end of the phone that took my CC information before they would complete the work.

I know one thing - the Foremost Roadside assistance was USELESS.
          Last edited by DaveC; 04-04-2023, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
            I thought they were sealed and you could blow the seal if squirting in too much.

I WAS the guy on the side of the highway last summer due to wheel bearing failure- on a Saturday afternoon. Only cost me $750 with some no-name mexi- nascar car pit crew (glad to have them) that a hundred phone calls connected me with. They conjured up a matching wheelbearing set / hub with brake housing that matched what I had and had me back on the road in a few hours.

Funny part is they knew they had me over a barrel and connected me with a white dude on the other end of the phone that took my CC information before they would complete the work.

Depends on your axles. My trailer has Dexter axles and the way they are designed the old grease pushes out the front for easy cleanup and there is a permanent seal in the back that doesn’t blow out. Sure makes it easy to see old grease coming out and see the new grease once it replaces the old. I do mine once a year before we go to Colorado and back. No issues yet, but I keep good tires and the right pressures as well.

Comment

unless you have some form of bearing buddy you can blow out the back seal by continually adding grease. Adding grease is also not needed once the bearings are packed and loaded properly.

If you are at the point that more grease is needed you should pull the hub apart, clean all the old grease out of the bearings, inspect them and then re-pack or replace, a new seal should be installed at this time as well

Comment

Good stuff fellas.

FWIW, I had greased them previously, but let it slack a couple years and got bit.

Now I have a new 2022, with ~1000 miles miles on it.
                We are taking it on a 3K mile trip soon, how should I handle the axles before leaving for that?
                and is there any squirts required along the way?

I know this is like asking whether or not to break in a barrel, different opinions and ways of doing things.
                I'm interested in hearing them all. (and going from there)

If this takes away from the camping 2023 thread I apologize, we (I) will get back to camping pics and input soon enough.

Comment

Im in on this one! We are camping at Lake Whitney this weekend and next. We are always looking for new places to go camping.

Comment

We just bought a 10 person tent for our camping. Much larger than our current 4 person tent.

Comment

Good stuff fellas.

FWIW, I had greased them previously, but let it slack a couple years and got bit.

We are taking it on a 3K mile trip soon, how should I handle the axles before leaving for that?

I know this is like asking whether or not to break in a barrel, different opinions and ways of doing things.

If this takes away from the camping 2023 thread I apologize, we (I) will get back to camping pics and input soon enough.
                      You would be surprised how little grease they come with from the factory. I would pack them before you go on your journey.

Comment

My girlfriend and I are heading to Fredericksburg April 21-23, 2023
                        Staying at the Bending Oaks Campground and will be going to Luckenbach for the Bluegrass Festival on the 22rd.....Ricky Skaggs!!!

Love my RVing....Be safe on the road everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                          My girlfriend and I are heading to Fredericksburg April 21-23, 2023
                          Staying at the Bending Oaks Campground and will be going to Luckenbach for the Bluegrass Festival on the 22rd.....Ricky Skaggs!!!

Love my RVing....Be safe on the road everyone!!
                          If you have time I would change RV Parks....

Comment

Good stuff fellas.

I'd crack those babies open and have a look before a trip like that.

Mine is a 2018 and I've never looked at them, so I'm gonna make a point to do so next time I pull it up on the driveway. I bet I've pulled it 7-9k miles since I bought it in '20....so I feel like I'm living on borrowed time.

Comment

I'm in on this thread, and checking the bearings on my 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                If you have time I would change RV Parks....
                                Why?

Comment

Working...
                                X