No announcement yet.

2023 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life was too busy what with working, hunting, and traveling lately to get any seeds started this year. I'll be buying tomatoes and peppers I'm afraid. I'll get all the spring veggies in the ground around March 15th.
    The only thing growing right now are brussel sprouts. They look great.
    I worked the beds today, tore down the dead vines on the trellis, planted red and 1015 yellow onions, and red and yellow potatoes.
    When I cleaned out the dead asparagus fronds, I found a few peaking out of the soil already.

Comment

Got quite a bit tilled last night and today. Planted white and yellow onions this afternoon. Probably plant potatoes before the rain is supposed to hit Wednesday. Hopefully finish tilling before then also.

Comment

What kind of green beans does everybody like to plant?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Depends on what and how you intend to plant...
          I generally put started plants in the ground whether raised beds or in-ground garden (except for things like peas, beans, corn and such). In a raised bed putting in started plants, I use 2 parts compost (I use mushroom compost), 2 parts peat moss, and 1 part perlite... I use no dirt in raised beds unless I'm just trying to fill in a deep bed where I don't want to waste the above mixture of products. For in-ground planting in a raised you can mix good topsoil and a good vegetable garden mix or even topsoil and bank sand... Lots of options there.
          Gracias

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
            I like contenders

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

We like Blue Lake and Contender if we can't find Blue Lake.

Comment

I can't grow a green bean to save my life. But this year we are trying rattlesnake beans several have had good luck here.

Comment

I am back. And I have excellent news. I know the difference between a cucumber and a watermelon.

Getting seeds in topsoil for indoor growing and will move stuff out to the garden in March. Current places have been weeded and added soil. Will mix in some organic fertilizers here soon as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                    Anyone have great and east ideas to keep weeds at bay. Lol I grow some mean weeds. Did pile on a bunch of leaves from my live oaks a couple years ago that took a while for the weeds to come through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    I use weed barrier landscape fabric on my onions and tomatoes. For tomatoes use a 3’ x 3’ square and plant in the middle. The fabric will keep weeds at bay and hold moisture. Good luck.

Comment

Well boys we are off to an absolutely fantastic start as we hit out first roadblock literally 3 minutes into the gardening season. I go to water the newly sowed indoor starters and had no clue the ink was not going to dry on these plastic tags.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't had the time plus our house isn't finished being built yet so all we did was toss some potatoes in the ground along with a couple hundred carrot seeds. Next year we should have our garden back.

Michael

Comment

I was able to get 8 yards of mushroom compost dumped,spread, and tilled in on my last remaining plot. Would have liked to have been able to gotten it done a couple months ago but it was just too wet. We are ready to plant.

Comment

The wicking tubs are cool. I’ve have some successful tomato and cucumber crops with them (along with some disappointment). Takes some practice perfecting potting mix and fertilizer- those are solid recipes above.

This weather makes me feel like I’m way behind. I’ve been tilling and prepping the garden the last couple of weeks. Onions are planted. Expanded an additional 8 x16 in-ground area. Need to improve my deer exclusion this year.

Had good luck with tycoon, celebrity, and early girl tomatoes last year. Contender, strike and tendercrop green beans were all good. The NuMex big Jim chilis were very productive. My sweet peppers were sub par. Anyone have a zucchini variety recommendation?

You guys with too much rain send some to central Texas, we need it in a bad way.

Comment

I just picked up about 3 yards of mushroom compost to mix into my native soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

I guess nobody plants Kentucky Wonders anymore? Usually what I plant in the spring if I grow green beans. Blue Lake in the fall if I plant them. I have limited space so green beans are down the list, but I get a notion now and then For those that grow Contenders, how prolific are they compared to other types? And what are the other benefits.....taste, space, etc?

Comment

Working...
                                X