No announcement yet.

Furthest confirmed kill !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

technically the 'kill distance' was not even a foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      I'll say it. Lucky, poor shot and not a "Great Shot". A great shot would have been a DRT deer that didn't suffer the 790 yard walk/ride it took before you could put her down.

Sorry, but I believe hunting a GAME animal deserves more respect and accuracy than a 790 yard shot can guarantee. Also, what bullet were you shooting at 1000 yards target practice? Surely you weren't using a hunting round?
      x2!

And had to slit its throat is proof enough

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        Like 80 FPE

Mr. “Tactical” it has roughly 650# at that distance. Like I stated it was on the fringe. Still holds 1000# to 500

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
          Mr. “Tactical” it has roughly 650# at that distance. Like I stated it was on the fringe. Still holds 1000# to 500
          So that’s slightly less than a pocket knife?

Comment

800 Foot Pounds is minimum for whitetail isnt it ? There is some really good info on minimum velocity and energy in the last Handloader magazine. I was really surprised at some bullet performance done at long distance. Once some bullets get below 1800 fps they start to fail.
            Last edited by Radar; 01-11-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              So that’s slightly less than a pocket knife?
              With me behind the knife. True story.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                800 Foot Pounds is minimum for whitetail isnt it ? There is some really good info on minimum velocity and energy in the last Handloader magazine. I was really surprised at some bullet performance done at long distance. Once some bullets get below 1800 fps they start to fail.
                At 800 I’m still over 2000fps

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                  At 800 I’m still over 2000fps
                  800 foot pounds of energy, is what the minimum is for whitetail. I dont think they tried ELDM at longer ranges just the ELDX and it performed poorly. Nosler did the best in their test LR Accubond I believe.

Comment

800 foot pounds of energy, is what the minimum is for whitetail. I dont think they tried ELDM at longer ranges just the ELDX and it performed poorly. Nosler did the best in their test LR Accubond I believe.
                    I believe this was tested with the barnes lrx also. Good read

Comment

He's also using a .22 caliber bullet. The smaller the bullet gets, the more power you need to equal a larger bullet. Let's put this in perspective, how many people here would shoot a deer behind the shoulder with a .22 hornet if they weren't guaranteed to hit where they were aiming?

The only plus side to this story is that Hoyt was practicing at 1k before the shot and if the deer was roughly in the same direction as the steel he would have had the wind dialed in.

Comment

Not trying to derail, but isnt the "energy" just a number that is thrown around? Bullets are designed to perform based upon velocity at impact. The required energy to actually kill cannot be calculated, or so I understand it (and that is subject to change, since I am relying on people with much more understanding)

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
                          Not trying to derail, but isnt the "energy" just a number that is thrown around? Bullets are designed to perform based upon velocity at impact. The required energy to actually kill cannot be calculated, or so I understand it (and that is subject to change, since I am relying on people with much more understanding)
                          Calculates the kinetic energy of a bullet. May also be used to calculate the muzzle energy of a rifle or handgun cartridge and compare it to other cartridges.

I dont think its a number just thrown around, I dont see many people hunting lions with a pellet gun.
                          Last edited by Radar; 01-11-2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Really great shooting, I have done the same think to a deer at long distance using my .270 so who really cares. Very impressive

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                              He's also using a .22 caliber bullet. The smaller the bullet gets, the more power you need to equal a larger bullet. Let's put this in perspective, how many people here would shoot a deer behind the shoulder with a .22 hornet if they weren't guaranteed to hit where they were aiming?

The only plus side to this story is that Hoyt was practicing at 1k before the shot and if the deer was roughly in the same direction as the steel he would have had the wind dialed in.
                              Zoom over my right shoulder. And you can see the target we were shooting. She cane out between us and the target.

Comment

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/bu...tic-energy.php

I dont think its a number just thrown around, I dont see many people hunting lions with a pellet gun.
                                Correct, because a pellet gun cannot produce the velocity to make a bullet perform as designed, has nothing to do with energy.

Comment

Working...
                                X