No announcement yet.

Help me pick out a new bow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont follow the herd. Go Darton...SpectraE or MaverickII. Dont try it...just buy it. They lead archery engineering and other companies follow. Well under $1k.

Comment

As others have said, find the best shop in your area and go shoot what they have. Pick the one you like. I started out with a High Country bow. I think it was old when I got it in the late 90's. sounded like a jackhammer when I let an arrow fly, but I was new and didn't know any better. Then got the Hoyt and loved it! Then a Matthews and now another Matthews. ITs a great hobby!!! Have fun.

Comment

If you will add a location to your profile it will help with shop suggestions.

Comment

Everyone is different. Go to a local archery shop and tell them you want to test drive as many bows as you can. The bow will pick you. When I bought my Halon 32 last year I shot everything they had and it just came down to color preference between the Bowtech Realm and the Mathews Halon. Both bows fit me well.

Comment

I would go play with a few of them before you make a choice at a local pro shop. A lot of great bows on the market. Mr fishndude here on TBH I believe could help you out think we he works at a pro shop around Dallas if your close

Comment

shoot bows, buy what you like, close thread

Comment

Originally posted by kdunn View Post
                I've only been bowhunting for 3 years, but I feel I've "outgrown" my first bow (Bear Cruzer Ready to Hunt package). There's nothing really wrong with it, but I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to upgrade from an entry level to a nicer bow once this season is over.

I know I need to go and get my hands on them and decide for myself what I like, but I'm curious what is it that made you pick your current bow? What features won you over from other brands/bows you were interested in? Hopefully your suggestions will give me some good starting points!

Brands I am interested in are Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, and Bowtech. My budget will be about $1,500. Thanks in advance for any help!
                1) What part of your bow have you outgrown? It's accuracy? It's weight? Don't like the grip? want a better rest? It's looks? Besides the stigma of it being a RTH... what don't you really like about your bow? If it is because it isn't the latest and greatest... it would be hard to help you. But if it is letting you down in some way or another, then what is it that you don't like about it? That should be your starting point for your next purchase.

2) Don't forget that there are new arrows to buy... a nicer release perhaps... a nice case, etc so make sure you adjust your budget accordingly. A $1500 bow becomes 2K real fast.

Beyond that, what everybody else has said is spot on... try different bows. everybody is different. Especially if the reason you want a new bow is just because you want a new bow.

Comment

I’ve got a brand new, never shot halon for sale rigged out!

Comment

Check out the Prime Rize. They just discontinued them and have them on clearance for about $650 @ Prime dealers

Look @ Bowtechs hard. The Reign 7 and Realm X are pretty bad *** bows
                    Last edited by Deers & Beers; 09-21-2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Well obviously I want a new bow, otherwise I wouldn't be on the search for a new one! But my biggest reason for wanting a new bow is consistency. Which I think in the end boils down to accuracy. I am not as consistent with my current bow, with regards to group size and overall accuracy, that I have been with other bows I have tried out at the local shop in the past. And I just feel that I am at a point with my skill level where an upgrade would help that.

Yes, I know I need to get my hand on more and try them myself, original post says that.

But the reason for creating this post was so that I could get input from other bow hunters as to what made them pick their current/most recent bow purchase for hunting. I'm looking for what other people liked or disliked with the newer bows on the market to help me make my decision as try out new bows.

Comment

i have a Prime Rize. lots of Prime shooters that say its still the best bow Prime's ever made.

Comment

Just like when I buy farm equipment, I always choose the best dealer as part of the equation. Bows are no different. I would love to get a Prime, but the closets dealer is about 2 hrs away. I have a excellent Bowtech dealer about 7 miles away. I generally buy from him. I know he will take care of my needs and go about and beyond for me. What I am saying is look at the dealer too. You will need their help. I am also looking for a new bow. I have shot Bowtech, Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, and Prime. The triax was at the top of my list. But I think I am going with the Realm for several reasons. Close and good dealer support, 7" brace, and 31" draw. But the Triax and the Hoyt Hyperforce are really nice.

Comment

I feel that you need to go to a shop that carrys the major brands and draw them . One guy that is 30 vs 28 like me the draw can differ the wall feeling or does it suck you in if you just let up a touch .

I feel its a very personal thing and brands who cares can it fling a 425-450 grn arrow over 275 FPS at your draw ? if so that is a done deal

hows it feel in your hand ?? do you like the grip , does it draw smoothly or its is a mother to draw I won a PSE full throttle two years ago to me , nothing about it I liked not the harsh cams or how it felt but guess what tons of guys love it .

Comment

Originally posted by kdunn View Post
                              Yes the 90% let off option with the PSE has definitely caught my eye.

Wow! Congrats! Big game animals with a bow are still on my bucket list. That’s what the new bow will be for [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              There is a new PSE Xcite in the classifieds with your name on it!

Last edited by Traildust; 09-30-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I just went through this same ordeal 2 weeks ago. Dropped my current bow (Hoyt Charger) while hoisting it down. Busted beyond repair for my local shop. Been hunting with it for 5 years and also decided it was time to upgrade from entry level bow.

I shot 8 bows. It came down to 3 bows. Prime (smoothest draw and SOLID back wall), Elite Ritual (smooth, solid backwall, quiet), and then the Matthews Triax (smoothish, fast, quiet). I ended up with the Elite Ritual because THAT IS WHAT FIT AND FELT BEST TO ME.

A friend of mine me to just draw every bow they had back and then narrow down to your shooters. Make sure you block some time to do this. I think your best bow is the bow you pick for you. Not because of brand, looks, or somebodies uncle said it’s a good bow. Try them all and try not to be biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X