7 Rem Mag ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
    i've downed dozens and dozens w/a 7mmrm. only used 139 hornady spbt, and 140 accubonds, both factory and h/l's. 100% success. in my opinion, it's a devastating cartridge.

7 yrs ago i owned 4 7mmrm's. bdl, sendero, vanguard, and an adl i got in high school 30 yrs ago. they were all very very accurate, the old adl the most. i had a friend who doubled his salary and decided he was going to start hunting. got on a good lease, and asked me to sell him a rifle. he is a large, muscular man. 'bout 6-4" 280lbs. this adl could easily group 1/2-3/4" w/factory hornady 139 interlocks. at the range, he was shooting 12" groups at 100yds.. the other two of us each shot sub moa. we loaded a fired cartridge in it without him knowing. he literally turned his head, gritted his teeth, closed his eyes and pulled the trigger...

we then recommended a 243.. he didn't want one. he went on to hit a cull buck in the front hoof at his 100yd feeder due to the flinching. he then sold it to his best friend.. i would have easily bought it back
    Yep see it at range lots...slip that dud in and watch them Flinch...Shoot at your comfort level (admit to yourself)......Its all a MACHO thing (Mine is bigger than yours) and Cost more! I have shot and owned most calibers and I don't like taking a beating..I can take a beating and still control myself but its a personal battle...My fav 243/260r/7mm08/308w all based on 308w case..I reload and in time of hard to find ammo..all can be interchanged by case forming the brass...

Comment

As far as a whitetail deer goes, a fella can safely pick just about any Production caliber out there and get the job done. It’s not the caliber that’s insufficient or overkill, it’s the shot placement and more often the bullet selection that’s the culprit.

And poor Shot placement can come in several forms. Buck fever, distance misjudgment, OVER confidence leading to shooting outside your comfort zone, a flinch due to a magnum caliber… so on.

More often than not, bad chatter you hear or
      Read come from someone with an isolated incident that had a bad variable then blamed the caliber and swore it off as a junk caliber and that was that.

Comment

The generic statement of 7 Mag causes lost animals does not make sense. In my opinion, it is a case of a person not being able to shoot a high caliber rifle, or just not being a good shot.
        More likely, they are afraid of The Recoil, and not familiar with the rifle. Roy Hindes and his people claim the 7 Mag, and then the 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a popular caliber as Casey stated and it is the one most likely to be in the hands of incompetent shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
          Shot placement….I dropped a Giraffe in its tracks with a 7 mag in Africa.
          And a 6.5 x 55 at less than 2,500 feet per second accounted for more than 300 elephants in Africa.

Comment

I’ve been shooting a 7mmRUM for the last 8-10 years, don’t shoot many deer but have dropped all but one that ran 70 yards.. i have noticed the recoil bothers me a little more now than it use to and my groups are not as good as they are with my other guns so I’m probably going to go back to my .270 sendero this year..

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
              More often than not, bad chatter you hear or read comes from someone with an isolated incident that had a bad variable then blamed the caliber and swore it off as a junk caliber and that was that.
              I heard a hunting outfitter in Colorado say a 270 was a poor caliber. He hadn't met Jack O'Connor, apparently.

Comment

No telling how many animals I’ve drug back to the skinnin rack after knockin’em down with a 7mm Remington Magnum over last 25 years. But it’s been a bunch. I believe the key is knowing what you’re shooting. Gun and ammo. Practice Practice Practice. And not just on paper. Shoot some live targets. Hogs, coyotes, bobcats, etc. If you like the way your 7mag shoots long range non-expanding bullets then you gotta know you can’t shoot a deer through the lungs and expect to have a suitable blood trail. You gotta compensate and aim shoulder, high shoulder, neck or head. None of which are recommended for the average weekend warrior. Lotta room for error there.

Comment

I just chuckle when I hear 7Mag smack talk. I've always found it to be an absolute hammer and have seen some massive wounds from it over the years. My all time favorite ammo was the Hornady frontier 139 grain, but I also shoot the 140gr Nosler BT's with devastating results. I'm a 7mag guy and always will be!

Comment

Flinching. And some early ammo we used was crappy
                    There were very popular in late 70’s, early 80’s in s Tx.

I hate the recoil so I quit using mine. .270 is more my speed.
                    Or a bun gun.

Comment

The original man bun

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                        I just chuckle when I hear 7Mag smack talk. I've always found it to be an absolute hammer and have seen some massive wounds from it over the years. My all time favorite ammo was the Hornady frontier 139 grain, but I also shoot the 140gr Nosler BT's with devastating results. I'm a 7mag guy and always will be!
                        Have you ever had a problem with the 139gr Hornady not exiting? My 7 mag loves them however I've shot several deer and no exit.

Comment

My son shoots one in an Encore. If he does his part, it kills quickly. I shoot a .280 Rem and I can say the same about it. You can say the same about lots of calibers.

Comment

The 7mag kills great. I will say that a lot of deer that I have had to track or seen lost were shot with one more so than most calibers except the .223 which is bullets and shot placement. Now this will get me flamed but most but not all we’re using
                            CoreLocks. Yes corelocks kill but have seen jacket seperation with them on faster rounds.I believe a lot of people are recoil sensitive and it affects shot placement. It’s a great caliber and I personally shoot a 280ai with quality bullets such as Accubonds, Barnes etc.

Comment

Just shot a nilgai this past weekend with my 7mag and dropped him right where he stood. As others have stated, shot placement out weighs anything

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                                It's likely a combination of a lightweight rifle, heavy trigger and lots of flinching.
                                This right here.

Comment

Working...
                                X