7 Rem Mag ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Rem Mag ???

A post on another thread got me to think??? I see a lot of people talk about a lot of animals are not found, had to be tracked, etc because they were shot with a 7 Rem Mag. I'm trying to understand this statement. Because ballistically it seems to be a great choice to hunt most north American animals. Is it because there is a ton of people using the caliber? Maybe a lot of people can't handle the recoil? It is my go to caliber and my main hunting rifle. I have had some that took meat off of both ends, but my 9.5lb Weatherby has very mild recoil. What is the reasoning behind these statements?

I’m assuming that with bad shot placement you will lose animals. Bullet type may have something to do with it as well. People seem to blame the gun rather than take the blame for a not so great shot.

Comment

It's likely a combination of a lightweight rifle, heavy trigger and lots of flinching.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
        A post on another thread got me to think??? I see a lot of people talk about a lot of animals are not found, had to be tracked, etc because they were shot with a 7 Rem Mag. I'm trying to understand this statement. Because ballistically it seems to be a great choice to hunt most north American animals. Is it because there is a ton of people using the caliber? Maybe a lot of people can't handle the recoil? It is my go to caliber and my main hunting rifle. I have had some that took meat off of both ends, but my 9.5lb Weatherby has very mild recoil. What is the reasoning behind these statements?
        My opinion to this would be they are using the wrong bullet, MATCH bullets, and at the speed of a 7 Mag the bullet just zips through with no expansion, therefore no blood trail.
        My cousin uses a 7 Mag and it shot the MATCH bullets really well, but after losing a nice buck, he now uses something different.
        Some probably has to do with the recoil as well, because some might flinch and not hit the deer good either.

Comment

Scared of it so they flinch and make a bad shot. 7mm's were really trendy years back and a lot of inexperienced hunters were buying them unaware of the recoil. Roy Hindes used to say that was the #1 cartridge used when he had to go track a deer.

Comment

I wonder about if bullet selection plays a large role, when people shoot way to heavy of a bullet and it pencils through on our smaller deer, basically like a FMJ would. I am not sure if that contributes to losing them or not though.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              It's likely a combination of a lightweight rifle, heavy trigger and lots of flinching.
              This would be my guess.

Comment

Lung shots with bullets that don’t expand well equals a lack of blood. Folks can’t shoot magnums very well adds another.

I have killed an awful lot of animals with my 7 mag. I’ll gladly take the bet about it not being a good choice. Mine absolutely hammers animals with 180 Berger’s.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                  Scared of it so they flinch and make a bad shot. 7mm's were really trendy years back and a lot of inexperienced hunters were buying them unaware of the recoil. Roy Hindes used to say that was the #1 cartridge used when he had to go track a deer.
                  This is the kind of stuff I have always read. so far, the reason people have listed could be a issue with any caliber

Comment

I have no idea but I love mine. 162 gr sst has been pretty good to me so far. Granted only shot 1 elk 3-4 pigs and a couple jack rabbits with it so far but it was drt on all the pigs and elk ran less than a 100 yds and he was done.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

It has about everything to do with the shooter and not the caliber. 7 rem mag is a great caliber for everything in NA just like the .270 and .30-06.

Comment

I have had one deer that I have had to track that I shot with my 7mag but that was my fault because I made a bad shot. But since then, every deer has either dropped where it stood or gone ~30 yards.

Comment

I'm like Trophy 8, I have killed a lot of critters with my 7 mag and have never had one take more than 2 steps. Most went straight down and never got up. That includes my 7 SAUM. My 1885 in 7RM has used 160 grain Grand Slams, 145 gr. Grand Slams, 150 grain BTSP's is a flat out hammer. My 7 SAUM and 140 grain TTSX's is a hammer as well.

Comment

Bet

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                            I'd go with this, and maybe add not much practice perhaps.

Comment

too much gun for squirrels.

Comment

Working...
                              X