No announcement yet.

How many 22-250 hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own 2 a Remington 788 & Ruger Hawkeye M77 (LH) They both get used at least once or twice every season, mainly on slick heads but would not hesitate to use it on the Big boys as well. Those lil bullets have folded up a many of em through the years

Comment

For you guys shooting this caliber for deer what bullet are you guys shooting? Not talking about the neck or head shots. I’m talking about the center mass chest shots. I would assume a good heavy bullet like a 70 grain Accubond or the sorts would be ideal but as mentioned in another post most barrels are not fast enough for this. Maybe a good Barnes bullet in a lighter grain.

I have seen deer shot with 55 grain core lokt on a shoulder shot and the devastation in the chest cavity was gruesome and lots of damage to both shoulders, not a pass through and pieces of jacket all the way up in the front portion of the back strap. It was a smallish doe at 175 yards. I was impressed but figured a more suitable bullet would be ideal. We have a 223 WSSM I would like to hunt with from time time to time but just don’t have much faith in the current bullet it likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        220 Swift...long live the king.
        I have one in ruger tang safety [emoji13]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a few guns in it but only varmint hunt with them now, yeah I get that it will work but why why not take some extra insurance with a bigger round..

Comment

Never killed anything bigger than a P-dog with mine. I use it for what it's made for. Vaporizing P-dogs in a green cloud. 40 gr Berger HP @ 4000 fps. Savage 12VSS-S

Comment

22-250 or 223 are great calibers for deer using the right bullet and shot placement. I’ve shot about 10 deer so far with my 223

Comment

I love the 22-250 prob killed the most deer with one between my son and i than any other round ive owned. But I do think shooting good bullets is the key.
                Id break it out this year if i could find the ammo I like

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
                  My first “real” deer rifle was a Rem 700 BDL chambered in 22-250. It has taken numerous deer in its history, many by my hand growing up. I’ve since moved on to different calibers, settling on the 308 as my go to for most of my East Tx hunting… but my question to you guys.. Who out there still uses the 22-250? I know it’s almost as big as the great debate.. 223 for deer hunting, but this having far greater velocities it has been very successful in my hunting experience.

What’s y’all’s take? Every time opening day rolls around I would like to consider bringing it back out, but having better calibers they tend to win the draw.

How many of you fellas, grab the 22-250 with out hesitation when the gun season opens??
                  As a kid my dad started us on a 30-06. Never liked how much damage it did if you hit the shoulder or made a quartering shot. Always thought it was overkill. Also took some shots I probably shouldn't have. Then I pretty much became strictly a bowhunter. My first deer rifle that I purchased was a 22-250. Never lost a deer with it, but like you have since moved on to a 308, and have 7 Rem Mag I bought for an Aoudoad hunt that I take sometimes because the glass on it is awesome. I think if you can shoot and you keep your shot's closer it's all you need.

Now my boy's have done alot of youth hunt's and those we usually tote the 308, Grandpa's 6.5 creedmore, 243, and now my 16yr old has a 270. So were pretty much set.
                  Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 10-27-2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I have been shooting one since I was a kid Im now 57 and still shoot that rifle for every thing.

Comment

Good to see the 22-250 love in here. It is my go-to and has killed more deer than anything else in the safe. The only head/neck shots I take with it are on pigs. Everything else is center mass, heart/double lung shots. The blood trails are not heavy and the bullet almost always stays in the animal. I like it that way. It is a hammer. 55 gr. Remington core-lokt is all I have ever used with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                        For you guys shooting this caliber for deer what bullet are you guys shooting? Not talking about the neck or head shots. I’m talking about the center mass chest shots. I would assume a good heavy bullet like a 70 grain Accubond or the sorts would be ideal but as mentioned in another post most barrels are not fast enough for this. Maybe a good Barnes bullet in a lighter grain.

I have seen deer shot with 55 grain core lokt on a shoulder shot and the devastation in the chest cavity was gruesome and lots of damage to both shoulders, not a pass through and pieces of jacket all the way up in the front portion of the back strap. It was a smallish doe at 175 yards. I was impressed but figured a more suitable bullet would be ideal. We have a 223 WSSM I would like to hunt with from time time to time but just don’t have much faith in the current bullet it likes.
                        I'm not liking the idea of shrapnel in edible meat portions. I have a .22-250 but would likely use a heavier bullet then the 55 on deer-size things.

Comment

I wouldn’t even think about it for anything bigger than earholed hogs or vermin. My son killed a buck in Runnels Co. one year that was limping. He thought the buck’s leg was broken. Turned out it was an old injury but the buck wouldn’t put that foot on the ground. When we skinned him we found almost no meat on that shoulder. It was barely a half inch covering his scapula. What we did find was a bullet from a centerfire .22 of some description embedded in that scapula. If I wanted to take the chance on wounding deer I’d have no problem using a .22, but I’d rather not chance that. I know a bunch are gonna say how many train loads of deer that they have killed with a 22-250 butI wonder how many would elk hunt with a .243, or moose hunt with a 25-06 ? It’s the same thing !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            I wouldn’t even think about it for anything bigger than earholed hogs or vermin. My son killed a buck in Runnels Co. one year that was limping. He thought the buck’s leg was broken. Turned out it was an old injury but the buck wouldn’t put that foot on the ground. When we skinned him we found almost no meat on that shoulder. It was barely a half inch covering his scapula. What we did find was a bullet from a centerfire .22 of some description embedded in that scapula. If I wanted to take the chance on wounding deer I’d have no problem using a .22, but I’d rather not chance that. I know a bunch are gonna say how many train loads of deer that they have killed with a 22-250 butI wonder how many would elk hunt with a .243, or moose hunt with a 25-06 ? It’s the same thing !
                            bullet placement.

Comment

Been using handloaded Hornady 55 BTSP at 3700fps.

Have only neck shot deer with it. Last one was ranged at 235. Pigs have been ear holed. So no real data on shoulder or behind shoulder shots.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                                I'm not liking the idea of shrapnel in edible meat portions. I have a .22-250 but would likely use a heavier bullet then the 55 on deer-size things.
                                Agreed. IMO, this usually only happens when it hits heavy bone. 95% of the bullets I recover are intact and mushroomed out. I have a pile of them in my truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X