Dodge transmission question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodge transmission question

2001 RAM 2500 5.9l gasser, 4WD. 200k miles, original transmission serviced 10k miles ago (fluid, filter) and it looked ok mechanic said.

This is the second time it threw a P1740 code. Last was about 6 months ago. Shifting is perfect, goes into and out of overdrive. If I press the OD off button, smooth shift down and rpm increases. Gas mileage the same 13.5 around town/ highway. Just drove it to Montana elk hunting with no problems.

After reading on Mopar web sites some guys said to ‘reset and forget’ if no obvious OD shift issues. Another said the factory trannys have screen that’s known to accumulate crud and start blocking fluid flow.

What does a TBH mechanic say? Service appointment at transmission shop (an honest guy)?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely its not the same transmission as a half ton? Had a 2001 dodge half ton with several transmissions before 36k.
    Last edited by doublearrow; 12-05-2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Join "2nd Generation Dodge Ram Enthusiast" on facebook if you have facebook. Some of these guys are experts on these trucks. Lots of great information on there.
      Here is a link. Not sure if it will work since it is a closed group you will have to get approved for it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/405246646247433/

Comment

Shift solenoids, the screen is inside them

Comment

IF I recall that is a 47r version trans They suffered from TC issue , shudder for sure

That code is for Lock up it can be the OD solenoid or the TCC Plate can be warped and bleeding fluid .. SO does it go into OD and can you feel see the RPM drop once in OD when the Lock up comes on ?? the solenoids do fail this is something that a DIY guy can do .

based on how many miles you have on it you may want to just step up and replace it cost is about 1500 for a reman unit they where not the toughest trans out there but you got 200K on it .

The sensor kit is about 60 bucks . Easy enough to try that first . If that does not correct it well you may have a input shaft bushing that is gone and bleeding pressure , Lock up fiber is leaking seal on the input bad etc . At that point its rebuild time .

My trans in my truck was going to be approx 9G to build and update to handle big power . I bought all the parts for under 2500 and did it myself . But that is a trans that will handle 800 HP and 1500 tq Nothing you need . I have a guy local that is a great shop . IF you need help .

OHH I see your in CA whoops local is not going to work for you

Comment

So- even with no symptoms and resetting the ecm and it not coming back for months- I should get it in for a checkup?

Thanks

Comment

To finish, p1740 came up and tranny shop said solenoids were getting out of resistance range from age, hence occasional code. A warning of possible future failure. Or maybe they’d work forever. I’d rather fix here and now than in a Montana blizzard 50 miles from nowhere.

Around $300 parts and labor.

Comment

A little off topic but a crazy dodge transmission story. I had a brand new 2007 3500 DRW 4wd. From day one, it never pulled like it should have. Dealership could never find a problem and kept telling me the truck was fine. Eventually took the truck to a mom and pop transmission shop that was highly recommended. Took their guy all of maybe an hour to find the problem. My brand new dodge 3500 transmission had a valve body that fit the 1/2 dodge transmission! How the eff does that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
                  A little off topic but a crazy dodge transmission story. I had a brand new 2007 3500 DRW 4wd. From day one, it never pulled like it should have. Dealership could never find a problem and kept telling me the truck was fine. Eventually took the truck to a mom and pop transmission shop that was highly recommended. Took their guy all of maybe an hour to find the problem. My brand new dodge 3500 transmission had a valve body that fit the 1/2 dodge transmission! How the eff does that happen?

Where was it assembled and on what day of the week?

Comment

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
                    It's like all things in life. The person working on it has to "care" about his work and "want" to fix things. A brain dead moron will overlook the simplest of things. Even wide awake conscientious people can oft times overlook things, but they keep digging until they stumble on the problem.

That's one reason I'm "skeptical" about getting on machinery that could be real dangerous to you. I've seen maintenance mechanics at work.

Comment

I’ve got a half ton from the same yr. My overdrive sensor went bad. It was throwing codes and bouncing in and out of overdrive. Think it was about a $300 fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                        2001 RAM 2500 5.9l gasser, 4WD. 200k miles, original transmission serviced 10k miles ago (fluid, filter) and it looked ok mechanic said.

This is the second time it threw a P1740 code. Last was about 6 months ago. Shifting is perfect, goes into and out of overdrive. If I press the OD off button, smooth shift down and rpm increases. Gas mileage the same 13.5 around town/ highway. Just drove it to Montana elk hunting with no problems.

After reading on Mopar web sites some guys said to ‘reset and forget’ if no obvious OD shift issues. Another said the factory trannys have screen that’s known to accumulate crud and start blocking fluid flow.

What does a TBH mechanic say? Service appointment at transmission shop (an honest guy)?

Thanks.

Mine was a cracked drum (same code)... took to service visits to figure it out. The only thing that "happened" to the car that was different is that it quit going into "eco" mode, but gas mileage stayed the same.

Comment

I got a recall notice in the mail yesterday for a "brake transmission shift interlock." What the heck is that?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I got a recall notice in the mail yesterday for a "brake transmission shift interlock." What the heck is that?
                            Replaces a potentially faulty BTSI to avoid - The transmission can be shifted out of Park into any gear without pushing the brake pedal or having the key in the ignition, which increases the risk of unintended vehicle rollaway that could result in an injury or crash

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                              Replaces a potentially faulty BTSI to avoid - The transmission can be shifted out of Park into any gear without pushing the brake pedal or having the key in the ignition, which increases the risk of unintended vehicle rollaway that could result in an injury or crash

Thanks. I will get that fixed then. The card I received didn't tell me that.

Comment

Working...
                              X