Nock on string tightness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What effect does a too tight or too loose nock and string fit have on arrow flight?

Anyone experiment with this?

Nock pinch can cause poor arrow flight in severe quantities. It can be caused by a variety of things like switching nocks, an improperly tied d-loop, twisting the loop at full draw with a hand held release or short ata bows with long draw lengths. The best way to combat it is to tie in nock sets on either side of the nocking point then tie the d-loop in outside the upper and lower set. I usually give myself about 1/32”of an inch since they will close up slightly at full draw. Dudley has a video on YouTube channel showing how to properly tie in the nock sets and d-loop with the proper spacing.

Too lose will cause tuning nightmares and sometimes erratic arrow flight. The arrow should not have a caming over effect when nocked on the string nor should it be sloppy.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 12-16-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Yep what he said.

Comment

What Muddyfuzzy said about D-loop size is spot on.

Another problem can be that the serving is too big for the nock, that causes a whole 'nuther set of problems.

The main thing is it can widen the nocks and weaken them, eventually leading to what is effectively a dry fire.

Second is the that the arrow may not leave the string at the same time each shot. This is less a problem with a string stop, but can still lead to erratic flight, high and low misses and tuning problems.

The nock should fit so that there is a click when pushed onto the serving, but the string should be able to rotate without the arrow trying to rotate. A light tap with two fingers should dislodge the arrow.

Comment

I'm thinking too tight might also cause persistent left or right paper tears. After season is over, I'll dig out the chrono and experiment and see if there is also a noticeable speed loss.

Comment

Good question 100. Thanks for asking. Ive been wondering the same.

I ask myself...even though my arrows can spin my string...are the nocks possibly still too tight? Some type of plucking effect or affect.

I know some seasoned archers that swear eliminating poor quality nocks is as important in tuning and grouping as not shooting low quality spine shafts. Seemingly makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
              Nock pinch can cause poor arrow flight in severe quantities. It can be caused by a variety of things like switching nocks, an improperly tied d-loop, twisting the loop at full draw with a hand held release or short ata bows with long draw lengths. The best way to combat it is to tie in nock sets on either side of the nocking point then tie the d-loop in outside the upper and lower set. I usually give myself about 1/32”of an inch since they will close up slightly at full draw. Dudley has a video on YouTube channel showing how to properly tie in the nock sets and d-loop with the proper spacing.

Too lose will cause tuning nightmares and sometimes erratic arrow flight. The arrow should not have a caming over effect when nocked on the string nor should it be sloppy.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Ditto. Watch Nock On videos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X