Chevy Duromax 3.0 V6 diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keith View Post
    This is on my short list for my next truck. I want to see the 2022 Tundra first. I drove one in February when I was working near Boston, MA and really liked it. I joined a Facebook 3.0 Duramax group to research them before buying. Unfortunately, there are quite a few issues posted. The one I drove had a "clunk" in the rear end. That turns out to be a somewhat common problem, supposedly from the springs when you let off the throttle.

• Rear main oil seal suddenly failing.
    • Crank, no start. The engine will crank for about 10 seconds but not start.
    • Radio and screen issues, flickering, changing on its own, etc.
    • Using a lot of DEF when towing

All that said, the reported problems seem to be less often on that site. I will still consider one when the time comes.
    Were these problems on the Chevy or GMC.

Comment

Originally posted by quackerback View Post
      Were these problems on the Chevy or GMC.

I believe every issue has happened on both brands. I am not aware of any issue that is exclusive to just one brand.

Comment

Not trying to step on anybody`s toes, but I still don`t see the advantage of the 1/2 ton diesel over the 5.3 gasser. You may get better MPG, but diesel is sometimes a buck more per gallon at the pump(plus DEF) and the truck is going to cost you more up front. The diesel won`t tow as much either. I haven`t done a lot of research on the matter, but on the surface it just seems like the 5.3 gasser is the better decision.

3L Duramax Diesel vs. 5.3L V8: Key Specs
        Simply put, the choice boils down to fuel efficiency and horsepower. The gas truck is quicker accelerating from a dead stop, and can hit a higher towing maximum (as you’ll see below). If you frequently travel between Fitzgerald and Ocilla and are looking to save on fuel, the lower cost of diesel fuel can really add up. Compare key performance specs for a diesel vs. gas truck, below:

5.3L V8 Gasoline Engine
        Output – 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque
        Efficiency (RWD) – EPA-estimated 17/23 city/highway MPG
        Efficiency (4WD) – EPA-estimated 16/22 city/highway MPG
        Availability – All Silverado trims

3.0L 6-cylinder Turbodiesel
        Output – 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque
        Efficiency (FWD) – EPA-estimated 23/33 city/highway MPG
        Efficiency (4WD) – EPA-estimated 22/26 city/highway MPG
        Availability – LT, RST, LTZ, High Country trims
        Keep in mind that while both engines make 460 lb-ft of torque, the diesel delivers it by 1,500 rpm vs. 4,100 rpm for the V8. You’ll notice the difference on the highway, where the V8 must work a lot harder to generate the same amount of power.

3L Duramax Diesel vs. 5.3L V8: Towing Capability
        Unquestionably, the V8’s biggest advantage is towing capability: it offers a max tow rating of 13,400 pounds compared to 9,300 pounds for the diesel. Many drivers will have all the power they need with the diesel, but you should opt for the V8 if you’ll be towing anything that’s heavy enough to be on the high end of the diesel engine’s capability, like a large boat or RV trailer.

What if you’re towing at altitude? In this case, the diesel may be your best bet because a naturally aspirated engine will lose power the higher you go. Thanks to its turbocharger, a diesel engine can compensate for some of this loss.

Questions about the benefits of diesel vs. gas trucks? At Robert Fender Chevrolet, a team of automotive experts is standing by to provide the info and specs you need to make an informed decision. Contact us for car-buying tips, or stop by our dealership in Douglas to take your favorite Silverado models for a test drive.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
          Not trying to step on anybody`s toes, but I still don`t see the advantage of the 1/2 ton diesel over the 5.3 gasser. You may get better MPG, but diesel is sometimes a buck more per gallon at the pump(plus DEF) and the truck is going to cost you more up front. The diesel won`t tow as much either. I haven`t done a lot of research on the matter, but on the surface it just seems like the 5.3 gasser is the better decision.

Simply put, the choice boils down to fuel efficiency and horsepower. The gas truck is quicker accelerating from a dead stop, and can hit a higher towing maximum (as you’ll see below). If you frequently travel between Fitzgerald and Ocilla and are looking to save on fuel, the lower cost of diesel fuel can really add up. Compare key performance specs for a diesel vs. gas truck, below:

5.3L V8 Gasoline Engine

Keep in mind that while both engines make 460 lb-ft of torque, the diesel delivers it by 1,500 rpm vs. 4,100 rpm for the V8. You’ll notice the difference on the highway, where the V8 must work a lot harder to generate the same amount of power.

Unquestionably, the V8’s biggest advantage is towing capability: it offers a max tow rating of 13,400 pounds compared to 9,300 pounds for the diesel. Many drivers will have all the power they need with the diesel, but you should opt for the V8 if you’ll be towing anything that’s heavy enough to be on the high end of the diesel engine’s capability, like a large boat or RV trailer.

What if you’re towing at altitude? In this case, the diesel may be your best bet because a naturally aspirated engine will lose power the higher you go. Thanks to its turbocharger, a diesel engine can compensate for some of this loss.

Questions about the benefits of diesel vs. gas trucks? At Robert Fender Chevrolet, a team of automotive experts is standing by to provide the info and specs you need to make an informed decision. Contact us for car-buying tips, or stop by our dealership in Douglas to take your favorite Silverado models for a test drive.
          All I can tell you is in that 3.0 Duramax group, a lot of people have switched from the 5.3 and the 6.2 and I don't remember a single person regretting their decision.
          Anyone towing 13,400 pounds with a 1/2 truck should have bought a 3/4 ton to begin with.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

[/B]
            It's literally just for fuel mileage. The EPA is mandating these changes. Which is why Ford has a tiny displacement ecoboost and a small displacement ecoboost, along with its large displacement V8. And a diesel in its half tons now.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              It's literally just for fuel mileage. The EPA is mandating these changes. Which is why Ford has a tiny displacement ecoboost and a small displacement ecoboost, along with its large displacement V8. And a diesel in its half tons now.
              FYI, Ford has discontinued their 3.0 Powerstroke diesel engine in their half ton trucks.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                I believe every issue has happened on both brands. I am not aware of any issue that is exclusive to just one brand.
                Was not sure about the radio problems. Those could have been brand specific

Comment

5.3L V8 Gasoline Engine

There really is no comparison of the 5.3 and the 3.0. The real comparison is the 6.2 and the 3.0. However to get full benefits of the 6.2 you have to use higher octane fuel that negates price difference between diesel fuel and gas.

Comment

I just competed a 3300 mile round trip to Delaware and back. Averaged 31 mpg. I have installed the S&B cold air intake which has improved the throttle response. I have no regrets and believe the number of issues are not any higher than what you hear about the new 5.3 or 6.2. I went with the 3.0 because I wanted the fuel mileage benefit. I do keep my trucks longer than most people. Towing has not been a problem with plenty or throttle available.

Comment

I average a hand calculated 26 mpg in my 2020 z71. Last tank I blew out my previous high of ~29.5 and hit almost 35 mpg coming back to Dfw from Houston.

36k miles and very few issues.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I know that most people are comparing the 5.3 to the diesel. What about the 6.2 vs the diesel? Wife needs a new car and I’m about to order her another Escalade. She’s had the 6.2 in her last 3 Escalades. I really like the 6.2 because it will go. I’d do the diesel if (and only if) it performs the same as the 6.2. Does it have the pep and the go? It’s not an upgrade (up charge).

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                          I know that most people are comparing the 5.3 to the diesel. What about the 6.2 vs the diesel? Wife needs a new car and I’m about to order her another Escalade. She’s had the 6.2 in her last 3 Escalades. I really like the 6.2 because it will go. I’d do the diesel if (and only if) it performs the same as the 6.2. Does it have the pep and the go? It’s not an upgrade (up charge).

The diesel will not feel as peppy as the 6.2. I drove both back to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting info. I may or not be looking for a truck in the next year or whenever the market gets back to normal.

Would be replacing a tacoma and that's gonna be hard. Mileage is the only killer of the truck.

Had a 6.2 high country,have 2020 5.3 in a work truck (put 160k on the last one) and wife has a 7.3 Ford gasser. They all run great with the 6.2 getting the best mileage at this point. We didn't see any performance loss with 87 octane in it either

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                              If you don’t keep it that long you’ll never actually catch up on the fuel savings since the 5.3 is cheaper. I did a whole spreadsheet on it when I was looking to buy a new truck and you have to keep them a while to even come close to breaking even with fuel savings. Didn’t factor in the added cost of DEF or more expensive maintenance either.

My BIL has one and loves it, but has had a couple of the issues noted above. Personally, I’d wait another year or so to let them work out the rest of the kinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much difference in cost were you factoring in? The diesel option is the same upgrade cost as the 6.2L gasser over the 5.3L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                How much difference in cost were you factoring in? The diesel option is the same upgrade cost as the 6.2L gasser over the 5.3L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                                When we looked pricing in order was 5.3, diesel, 6.2. I believe the 6.2 was $1,500 more than the diesel. Duramax is way peppier than the 5.3, the 5.3 is weak in the suburban.

Comment

Working...
                                X