Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn year round here

Comment

Feed pen is large (70' diameter) so it contains a 550 pound corn feeder that throws once a day all year long and twice during season. In same pen is a 1,100 pound free choice protein feeder that contains 100% protein in Spring and Summer and then 50-50 corn protein other times. Sometimes the protein feeder runs dry for a few weeks before we can get back out to fill so I feel the corn thrower keeps the deer coming day after day. We always have many more deer that come for the protein.

On our other place we keep a spin feeder throwing corn year round with no feed pen and never any protein. It didn't take long for it to become the "hog feeder"....

Comment

We feed year around. My timers spin more starting a few weeks before hunting season and then get shortened after season. We do have hogs and a few of us are at the lease a lot even in the off season so we still have a target rich environment.

Comment

We do corn year round in a couple of the feeders, just for shooting hogs off them mainly. The rest of the feeders we crank up about September, keep full through the season until they rub out in january

Comment

Absolutely. We try and supplement as our budget allows, but the corn feeders never cut off.

Comment

Corn year round with feed pens.

Comment

put hog panels all around and yes you will see big improvements. Deer have a "home range" which is relatively small area that they like to stay. They obviously travel, but they come back to that range a lot. By feeding year round and hopefully having water and shelter you are setting your place up to be a solid home base for deer.

Protein is not necessary for this to work, but once you have this kind of system protein will really help long term. Especially keeping the youngins alive and the mommas from having to try too hard to survive.

Last but not least you'll get young bucks that grow up on your place and make it their home range survive more years because they'll always circle back to your place and get a pass where as other nearby properties have a lesser chance to see them consistently.

To me for smaller acreage it's absolutely necessary to try and grow mature bucks. Just because you get the neighbors that just turn the feeders on during the season and shoot whatever. While they'll still get some of those bucks you'll just have a better survival rate by offering them a home that is "safe"

Comment

I have hog panels surrounding 1000lb corn feeder, run it year round and turn it down during off season. My reasoning, fawns will visit day one and keep coming back, or at least thats what I tell myself.

Comment

I feed corn year round and mix in a bag of protein.

Comment

Highly recommend against this, will gum up over time.

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
                      I feed corn year round and mix in a bag of protein.

Comment

I do. It seems to keep them close and provides them a snack.

Comment

Been feeding corn year around for 4 or 5 years now and think it has helped. I feel like having corn throwing year around makes coming to the feeder just part of their daily routine and not just a place to grab a snack.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We corn year round inside a pen. We dial it back during the off season though.

Comment

We feed corn year round, but I"m the only one that adds any protein. I usually have a 60/40 mix of corn and Record Rack Golden Nuggets. I also place a protein block out every time I'm out there.

It keeps the deer in the area I believe as well as the hogs, sheep, coons, and other critters.

Comment

We feed corn all year but cut way back to about 2-3 seconds morning and evening February to October. Definitely keeps the deer around on our place and away from the neighbors

We also feed heavy protein and cotton end of December to September/October.

Comment

Working...
                                X