Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Pushmataha County Oklahoma

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
    I was on a lease there for a few years. Nashoba Hunting Club. Big ole deer up there, pretty hard to hunt though

The deer are wise and crafty in that part of the country. Been through many a season where I wondered why in the world I was still bowhunting.....then BOOM, a big old, nasty, swolle up beast materializes from the thick tangle, within bow range and I am reminded that the Kiamichi mountain don’t give up their trophy deer without a fight.

If a man will put in the work to scout and hunt smart he can have success if things come together.

I wrote this a few years ago and will repost.

The Disease

I've got a sickness and the only antidote can be found in the rugged, rock and brush choked valleys of the Kiamichis, delivered by a swollen, stinking, testosterone filled beast so wiley and elusive that his cedar and pine polished antlers have yet to be spied by human eyes. Like a fever this disease assaults me in the night as my thoughts and dreams turn to flashes of a brown coat and faint glimpses of white through the shadows. The alarm's unrelenting whine plucks the ghostly silhouette and misty calm from me as I fumble to a semi conscious state. My blurry gaze clears and once again I stand at the familiar corner of business need and domestic responsibility. The clock and calendar, defeated enemies of a recurring nine-month's war are resurrected once again. Until I am released from this wallless prison the beast of my dreams shall live a few weeks more.....completely oblivious to the impending threat from above that awaits.

Opening weekend feels like a lifetime away.

Micah
    Last edited by Booner Sooner; 07-28-2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

That’s a good read bro. Are y’all each buying new license/tags for each season (archery,gun,muzzleloader) as a non-resident or y’all just buying an archery tag and using it all year for all 3 seasons? I read somewhere I think you can do that. If that’s not correct please someone me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. Have a lifetime hunting and fishing in OK from the 90’s. Will have to defer to others on that.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
          That’s a good read bro. Are y’all each buying new license/tags for each season (archery,gun,muzzleloader) as a non-resident or y’all just buying an archery tag and using it all year for all 3 seasons? I read somewhere I think you can do that. If that’s not correct please someone me.

Since muzzleloader and rifle are so short we just bow hunt during for all the seasons off the archery license. No need to buy the other two. May buy a bear license this year, still undecided but had a bear last year I could have shot on opening day.

Comment

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
            Since muzzleloader and rifle are so short we just bow hunt during for all the seasons off the archery license. No need to buy the other two. May buy a bear license this year, still undecided but had a bear last year I could have shot on opening day.

Kool. Thanks

Comment

My experience has been that some of the best hunting has been from muzzle loader to first week of November. Not super scientific but I’ve seen the most chasing activity then.

Comment

one guy on our place has the lifetime but the rest of us just buy the archery and only hunt with it during all the seasons. I can't afford to buy the rifle, muzzleloader, and archery.
                I just wait till after deer season(or before), and use the AR to hog hunt. No need for a licence to hog hunt. You can even rifle hunt hog during deer season if you get a special tag or permit from the game warden.

Comment

The hogs have come and gone on our place. When the bears moved in it seemed like the hog sign dropped to near zero. This might have been coincidence. In 20+ years of hunting this place I’ve never seen a hog while on stand and have only ran across them while walking once. That said, I don’t hunt feeders on this place and have only begun using them in the last few years with my kids.

Between the hogs and bears I really don’t know which I’d take if I had to choose one. Don’t like either.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                    My experience has been that some of the best hunting has been from muzzle loader to first week of November. Not super scientific but I’ve seen the most chasing activity then.
                    This is when i plan to focus my main hunting time, witch i think is the most chasing. It just gets crazy with people up there for the rifle season and kind of shuts the deer down seems like to me. But the late season hunting feed from Christmas until end of season should be good also after the bucks bachelor back up.

Comment

It is going to be a little different for me this year. We will be splitting time between Nashoba and our new place near Quinton this year. About to start running feeders up there to try to get my 10 year old his first deer.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Good info. I’m excited to get up there and check it out, start putting some time in.

Comment

2018 Pushmataha County Oklahoma

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
                          we are about 3-4 miles east of the school and on south side of road. At least that is where camp is. river runs through property we camp on. Other part of lease is a little further south of the highway right where the river turns south and forms the western border to our place there.

This is the guy that was running the river just East of your place a few years back. Aged out at six and a half years.

Having a set close to the river could pay off. [emoji3]

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                            This is the guy that was running the river just East of your place a few years back. Aged out at six and a half years.

Having a set close to the river could pay off. [emoji3]

Dry nice indeed!

Comment

Beautiful buck taken by a very dedicated hunter This is why we hunt Oklahoma gents!

Comment

If this keeps up I may have to sweat talk the wife into budgeting for a bear tag if MWW982 doesn’t get one!

Comment

Working...
                                X