No announcement yet.

Who makes their own bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been making it for a few years now. I use a recipe I found on YouTube from a guy named Tim Farmer. I really like it but I’m looking for other seasonings I can add to it after I cure it and before smoking it. Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

Comment

Dry brine half and half salt to brown sugar for 7-10 days. Then I rinse it off and rub it down with this Korean sweet & spicy paste. I got the paste at one of those near expired/discount food places and it's incredible. As usual I have no idea how to get more and I'm almost out, hopefully I can replicate it with some other ingredients or stumble on it.

Comment

Not sure how to computer the picture. The stuff is "Annie Chun's Go-Chu-Jang”

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
          The juniper berries were hard to find, ended up getting them at World Market. I crushed them by putting them in a ziploc bag and gently crushing them with a hammer. They have a very pleasant smell and flavor. Very much looking forward to seeing how this batch turns out.
          Keep us updated...see them in recipes from time to time but never have tried them

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info. and inspiration. Bought a belly last week at Costco, salt and sugar added, vacuum sealed for a week turning in the fridge most days. Got the hooks from amazon and smoked about 5 hours @ 150 with alder scraps from the cabinet shop and a couple of oak logs from the back yard
            What I learned so far; (welcoming advice)
            When portioning up a whole belly, I need to pay attention to the capacity of my slicer and not make them so big.
            I need more hooks and more bellies!
            Turned out a little salty and color is off from what I’m used to. I’ll use more sugar and less salt, maybe a little pink cure to see how it goes with additional weeks of cure time.
            I’ll soak in cold water for a while after I rinse next time.
            Overall, a success for a first try. Going to go full on Oprah with bacon. You get bacon, you get bacon! Everybody gets bacon!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
              Thanks for the info. and inspiration. Bought a belly last week at Costco, salt and sugar added, vacuum sealed for a week turning in the fridge most days. Got the hooks from amazon and smoked about 5 hours @ 150 with alder scraps from the cabinet shop and a couple of oak logs from the back yard

When portioning up a whole belly, I need to pay attention to the capacity of my slicer and not make them so big.

Turned out a little salty and color is off from what I’m used to. I’ll use more sugar and less salt, maybe a little pink cure to see how it goes with additional weeks of cure time.

Overall, a success for a first try. Going to go full on Oprah with bacon. You get bacon, you get bacon! Everybody gets bacon!!!
              Looks great, the slab definitely needs a bath after its done in the brine. I wish i could fi d a slicer, other than my arm and knife, that lets me cut the bacon on the long side.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                Looks good.
                I have only done 2 and with both, after getting out of the fridge ( after 7 and 9 days) I washed them with tap water for about 5 min then soaked in water for an hour then smoked. After the smoker, again washed and set in ice water for an hour. I THINK this helps with the salt.

Comment

I’m running low on bacon so I stopped by Costco today and picked up another pork belly.
                  Cure, salt and maple syrup.
                  I’ll add some coarse pepper when it’s through curing.
                  The new slicer works great. Makes for very uniform slices.
                  I sliced all of the last batch pretty thick.
                  This time I’m going to slice some thinner so it crisps up faster when I use it to wrap other tasty goodies.

Comment

Sliced up! 2 pork butts worth of buckboard bacon.

Comment

Question on the Buckboard bacon do you have to smoke to certain internal temp or can you cold smoke? and how long should you smoke?

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                          Question on the Buckboard bacon do you have to smoke to certain internal temp or can you cold smoke? and how long should you smoke?
                          Buckboard, or any bacon, can either be cold or hot smoked. Some people do like to hot smoke it to an internal temp of 160. Perfectly fine to do that. But I prefer to cold smoke it, that way it's still raw when I cook it. This batch I smoked for 8 hrs at about 80-90 degrees.

Comment

Did 20# last week!

Comment

This bacon seems to be so delicious. Now I`m thinking about how to do it

Comment

Next batch is off the smoker and into the fridge. Ready to slice tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                                X