Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fooser View Post
    What are the downsides of the .300BO
    I think a lot of folks don't like 300blk because they run subsonic ammo through a suppressor which significantly reduces the distance capability of the round (75-100yds). If you run standard ammo through a suppressor it performs well out to 200 yds. My 12yr old was ringing 4" steel free handed quick fire at 200 last time we shot with that setup.

Comment

Start with a trap. Their effectiveness will decline the longer you use one. They can get trap smart in a hurry. After that switch to a rifle. When they figure that out you will have to go with thermal. After they figure that out you will have to go with dogs. They will not catch them all but they will get them off your place for a bit. At the end of the day you will always have hogs...........

Good luck.

-john

Comment

I'm not nearly as familiar with ballistics as some guys on here so take it for what its worth....

308 has significantly more power (around double the powder charge according to ballistic mag) and range. I've ear holed hundreds of pigs with no problem from the blind with the BO but my intended purpose was night hunting pigs. Ear hole one and then make several follow up shots as the others run off. IMO, I'd like a little more "oomph" on the marginal shots on the run.

Advantage of the BO was the easy conversion from 5.56 AR15. May not have to buy whole new gun and much lighter than AR10. Also the allure of subsonic ammo, which i thought id use much more. Regarding subs, just not enough "oomph" FOR ME at 100yds unless putting it in their ear. But to each their own...

Speaking of night hunting, just remembered i listed a Sniper Hog Light and AGM thermal mono (both like-new) in classifieds. I need to add some pics.

Comment

Doesn't take nothing special to kill hogs, shot placement. Just get you a AR style so you can cut loose

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
            I'm not nearly as familiar with ballistics as some guys on here so take it for what its worth....

308 has significantly more power (around double the powder charge according to ballistic mag) and range. I've ear holed hundreds of pigs with no problem from the blind with the BO but my intended purpose was night hunting pigs. Ear hole one and then make several follow up shots as the others run off. IMO, I'd like a little more "oomph" on the marginal shots on the run.

Advantage of the BO was the easy conversion from 5.56 AR15. May not have to buy whole new gun and much lighter than AR10. Also the allure of subsonic ammo, which i thought id use much more. Regarding subs, just not enough "oomph" FOR ME at 100yds unless putting it in their ear. But to each their own...

Speaking of night hunting, just remembered i listed a Sniper Hog Light and AGM thermal mono (both like-new) in classifieds. I need to add some pics.
            I used to hunt with a .308 and dropped deer on the spot at 200 yards. Only reason I’m not using that gun for hogs is it weighs almost 15lbs. Love the round but the rifle I’m shooting it out of is too heavy and not maneuverable. Also I am not very educated on the best suppressed round that can pack a good punch at 75 yards. The hogs tear up the food plots and I don’t have many opportunities at long shots. Most will be fairly close (no very long shooting lanes)

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
              Start with a trap. Their effectiveness will decline the longer you use one. They can get trap smart in a hurry. After that switch to a rifle. When they figure that out you will have to go with thermal. After they figure that out you will have to go with dogs. They will not catch them all but they will get them off your place for a bit. At the end of the day you will always have hogs...........

Good luck.

-john
              Sadly I know I can’t get rid of them all but don’t worry I will do my best haha. Hopefully they don’t get too smart too quick

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                I think a lot of folks don't like 300blk because they run subsonic ammo through a suppressor which significantly reduces the distance capability of the round (75-100yds). If you run standard ammo through a suppressor it performs well out to 200 yds. My 12yr old was ringing 4" steel free handed quick fire at 200 last time we shot with that setup.
                Appreciate the info👍

Comment

A big figure 6 trap with feeder is easy not too expensive and works.

Comment

Rifle ain't going to do much, but sure is fun! Like some have said, a big trap is much more effective. If all else fails, just complain on TBH about the hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                      A big figure 6 trap with feeder is easy not too expensive and works.
                      This. Keep it wired open until they think they own it and then set it. You’ll put a hurtin on em pretty quick. Shoot em in the Ear Hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        This. Keep it wired open until they think they own it and then set it. You’ll put a hurtin on em pretty quick. Shoot em in the Ear Hole.
                        Sounds like a good plan

Comment

.22 mag works just fine at 60 yards for me. I can shoot them from the porch and my wife never wakes up.

Comment

Buckshot with a extended magazine.

Comment

A 6.5CM and about 10 tracking dogs should do the trick….

Comment

17hmr.

Comment

Working...
                                X