No announcement yet.

2019 Handgun Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not killed anything in may years with a pistol. I used to hunt a lot with a 7 1/2" barrel 44 Mag. Ruger Super Blackhawk and a 14" barrel T/C Contender in 30-30. Killed quite a few things with each. Only killed a jack rabbit with my Delta Gold Cup, which is a 10mm.

I have a T/C Contender still, but I have carbine stocks and barrel on it now. The butt stock on the gun, is the most uncomfortable stock/ rifle I think I have ever shot. I loved the gun when I had the pistol grip, forearm and barrel on it. I have been thinking of getting another pistol set up for the gun.

I still want to have a custom Remington XP-100 built, I still think the 6.5X47 Lapua would be my top choice of calibers.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
      Ahh the ol .375 Win. I had the handgun fever back in the 80's and had a .375 Win. barrel rechambered to .375 JDJ. I had a hard time keeping a scope mount on her and had to go with #8-40 screws to prevent shearing the base screws. Those were the days, with this thread I might go into a safe and see if I can knock some dust off some of my hunting handguns.
      I read many a story about the old 375 JDJ, back when I was a kid. I never thought I had any use for one. I remember Bob Milek using one for moose. I used to read a lot of his stuff, that's what got me into hand gun hunting.

Comment

Man this thread is getting me fired up.
        To me handgun hunting is just like bowhunting only it’s just a bit louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          I read many a story about the old 375 JDJ, back when I was a kid. I never thought I had any use for one. I remember Bob Milek using one for moose. I used to read a lot of his stuff, that's what got me into hand gun hunting.
          Yes sir, I was the same way. I always thought Bob was a great gun scribe. Could not wait for Shooting Times and Guns and Ammo to come in the mail every month. Sadly those magazines and writers are not what they used to be. If I remember correctly I loaded 235 gr bullets to 2200 fps and heavy 300gr bullets to 1900 fps. Not bad ballistics in a 14" barrel. Man just talking about this stuff is stirring the juices.

Comment

Ive had some success at our place.. i started out carrying a 4" model 19.. killed a pig and an axis with it. Then upgraded to a fantastic 586 6" and have put down several pigs and a coon or two or three

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

In the mid 90's I never hunted with a rifle at all, I either used a Contender with a Bulberry 22lr match barrel or an XP100 in 35 Remington. I had an XP100 built in 358 Winchester too.
                When I was a kid there was man named Dic Casull that was building duplex and triplex loads in 45 Colt cases. Elmer Keith said he was the dumbest man alive.

I eventually saved enough money to buy my first Freedom Arms 454 Casull in 1990. It was the Hunter grade with a 6 inch barrel, the Premiere grade was out a reach for a guy making 12.00 an hour. Believe I paid 1000.00 for the revolver then. I can remember getting aggravated with the Casull because it was built to tight tolerances and your reloads had to be perfectly made or they would not chamber. Sizing dies could not close enough to the rim to let them chamber unless they were modified, and brass was high dollar too.

I also knew a fella by the name of Veral Smith(LBT Bullets) that made me several moulds for my 454. He got in trouble and did a stint in the jail house, but that man was cast bullet smart. He was making big old meplats on cast bullets moulds and come out with a blue lube that worked real well. My first kill with the 454 was an old mule eared doe, I could not believe how much power and the size of the wound that 300gr WFN made. I had a hook up for Linotype back then, so I was casting my bullets from that. Ha, y'all got me started
                Last edited by Radar; 11-08-2019, 05:02 AM.

Comment

I have a Freedom Arms .454 Casull in Premier grade. Currently have a Leupold red dot sight on it, but I have a scope for it as well. Been thinking about breaking it out on a hunt or two this year.

Comment

Well after reading this looks like I'll have to load up some 41 mag and see what I can do. It's been a while since I've done a pistol only hunt.

Comment

YESSSSSS !!!!!

Great Thread !!!! shopping for a .44 Mag so I can join this group

Comment

Nice to see quite a bit of love here for the .41 mag.[emoji106]

Comment

Got a nice 8 tonight with my Ruger SBHH 41 magnum. He was chasing a doe and stopped right in front of me at 20 yards. Perfect heart shot. Hand loaded ammo - 210 grain Speer Deepcurl over H110. Ran about 25 yards and was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the buck Randy!

Comment

I shot this doe last season with my lyman plains pistol. My long gun was still on the ground while I was climbing a tree. She came right down the trail I walked in on with her nose on the ground. I had sprayed bow hunters fatal obsession on my boots. About a 20 yrd shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice buck Randy. I use the same bullet / powder combo for my .41.

Comment

Working...
                                X