Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone work for a Utilities Service Company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone work for a Utilities Service Company?

I have an interview next week with a company that does work in the utilities space - they have bucket trucks to fix power lines and contract with companies like Oncor (not a whole lot of other information right now).

My background is traditional oilfield services with generators mixed in, so I know a little bit about electrical risks, but nothing about the traditional utility side.

I'm looking for a little information on these types of companies if someone is able to chat for a little bit.

Appreciate any assistance.

What job are you interviewing for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I work for a city utility entity, power production. Gas turbines, steam turbines, racking in breakers, some substation work. I don’t know if I would be able to help you but I could give it a shot.

Comment

I work with OH and UG contractors on a daily basis. I would say it depends on the company. Some are great to work with, others employees come and go like the wind. Nearly every one of these type companies are looking for employees right now because it is so busy.
        Find out what their overtime policies are and what kind of benefits they have. Do they expect you to travel all over the state and out of state chasing storms? Most do.

Comment

Pm sent

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            What job are you interviewing for?

I’m interviewing for a corporate safety (EHS) position.

Thank you for the replies, gents, I’ll reach out to you in a bit.

Comment

I did 5 minutes reading about EHS positions.

Here’s some interview questions to you to have a killer answers for.

- what do you think the most challenging environmental regulations you’ve ever had to implement?

- tell me about a time you had to implement state and federal safety regulations and you overcame objections from the workers? From the management?

- what new environmental regulation changes coming in 2022/23 should we be prepared for? Same question for safety?

- who in the Texas regulatory government department is your go-to person when you find ambiguity in interpreting a new regulation? Tell me about a time you were able to save your company money by not taking everything into account implementing a regulation?

- go to the whiteboard and write me a rough outline and agenda for a 1- hour training course for workers? Is that enough time? How much class vs hands-on have you found to work best? Same for a 4-hour coursez

Comment

I was a safety director for a small underground/overhead utility construction company and would be happy to discuss any questions you might have. From your OP, it looks like you are a little concerned about the electrical hazards associated with the job - that can be taught, look into the company's training, it needs to be thorough, books and hands on. For what it's worth, the electrical hazard was NOT the biggest issue we faced, it was everything else involved in the job like driving and walking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcortex View Post
                  I was a safety director for a small underground/overhead utility construction company and would be happy to discuss any questions you might have. From your OP, it looks like you are a little concerned about the electrical hazards associated with the job - that can be taught, look into the company's training, it needs to be thorough, books and hands on. For what it's worth, the electrical hazard was NOT the biggest issue we faced, it was everything else involved in the job like driving and walking.
                  I've been in the electric utility business for >36 years, and agree with the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcortex View Post
                    Thanks for the reply. Due to scheduling issues, we ended up moving up the interview and I found out they do a bit of UG and OH work and are moving towards substations. I'll be sending a pm. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      I did 5 minutes reading about EHS positions.

Here’s some interview questions to you to have a killer answers for.

- what do you think the most challenging environmental regulations you’ve ever had to implement?

- tell me about a time you had to implement state and federal safety regulations and you overcame objections from the workers? From the management?

- what new environmental regulation changes coming in 2022/23 should we be prepared for? Same question for safety?

- who in the Texas regulatory government department is your go-to person when you find ambiguity in interpreting a new regulation? Tell me about a time you were able to save your company money by not taking everything into account implementing a regulation?

- go to the whiteboard and write me a rough outline and agenda for a 1- hour training course for workers? Is that enough time? How much class vs hands-on have you found to work best? Same for a 4-hour coursez

Thank you, Bill!

Comment

I don’t know how senior a position this is. My questions would be for a person who claims directly related experience and not getting trained OTJ.

Good luck. Always close and ask for the job.

Comment

Working...
                        X