Advice on House Purchase or Barndo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on House Purchase or Barndo

Hey all, things settling a little for the kids and me. Think I'm ready to purchase a house.

I thought I was going to have a deal on an old "barndo" this week. Somebody came in and outbid me cash. Such is life.

I am in Central TX, Robinson/Waco area.

Looking to purchase a house or build a barndo on a super tight budget.

If anybody is a realtor local or barndo builder or recommends anybody feel free to comment or PM.

I would still like to build a barndo, but I'd be talking bare minimum. Stained concrete, metal, etc. Which I'm not sure if it's even doable with the market now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If you are young, go for the barndo if you can do most of the work yourself. In my case we looked at that but being 67, we decided that at this age, it may not have been possible to purchase land and build the barndo ourselves. Luckily we found our forever home and dang glad we did not go the barndo route.

Comment

Thank you for the advise

Comment

Flex- You are not going to like my opinion. No way to budget for a build now. Supplies are worse than stock market. You cant get a bid good for more than a week or two. Lumber and metal are crazy. I would look for standing structure if i was in your shoes.

Comment

Yup buy a house and wait it out. Fifteen year mortgage. My second house is payed off. Nice to just pay tax and insurance............

Comment

Hard to get a mortgage loan on a barndo for yourself and/or when you go to sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              Flex- You are not going to like my opinion. No way to budget for a build now. Supplies are worse than stock market. You cant get a bid good for more than a week or two. Lumber and metal are crazy. I would look for standing structure if i was in your shoes.
              ^^ This ^^..

It probably isn't the type of thing that you want to hear but if at all possible I would hold off for a while. We planned on building this year but with the current material prices I just cannot justify it. Even building at cost, we were looking at an easy +30% overall home cost increase over pre-covid prices.

Comment

Probably be cheaper to rent for a year then build. Hopefully a year from now prices will be down that is.

Comment

You're not going to like this, but the used housing market is nuts right now.
                  My wife is trying to help my cousin find a house to buy, in the $150k range.
                  Everything they find goes under contract before they can even schedule an appointment to see it.

Comment

Build the Barndo!!
                    Last edited by skelsey; 04-20-2021, 06:54 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Appreciate it. I'm looking for advice. I'm not married to any ideas.

I do know I hate paying rent every month vs owning something.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        You're not going to like this, but the used housing market is nuts right now.
                        My wife is trying to help my cousin find a house to buy, in the $150k range.
                        Everything they find goes under contract before they can even schedule an appointment to see it.
                        I'm aware. That's about maxed out of my budget range. I cannot find anything. Thought I did but as mentioned earlier. Didn't win the bidding process.

Comment

And as mentioned. Any TBH realtors that do work in my area feel free to message me.

My budget is sub 150k. And I have 3 kids. So need some room. Which is from what I'm gathering all but impossible these days. Which is why I think the barndo idea is appealing. But with material pricing now it may be off the table as well.

Comment

Get your financing together. If you want to be competative, stay away from gov loans...USDA,VA,FHA. In this sellers market, jumping through government hoops is not appealing to sellers...more a PITA. California cash beats all. Thats whats happening.

Stack your cash. Kiss 100 frogs to find 1 prince. (Look at 100 houses.) Lots of people cashing in on the price increases.

Good luck Flex.

Comment

Unfortunately it's just not a good time for building or buying right now. I may look at the manufactured home route?

Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X