No announcement yet.

Let’s see your cottonseed setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart - what do the wire for the totes cost and where do you buy them? Thanks

Comment

This is a newbie question but are yall feeding straight cotton seed or cotton seed hulled

Comment

Originally posted by Cstat_hunter View Post
        This is a newbie question but are yall feeding straight cotton seed or cotton seed hulled
        straight cotton seed. If you call a Gin and tell them you need "whole cotton seed" they will know exactly what you need. You don't want the hulls for deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
          Smart - what do the wire for the totes cost and where do you buy them? Thanks

They are the metal support cages around water totes. I pulled the bladders out and the floors off to get to what I use. I had one tote with a hole in it from my feedpen setups I tore apart and then I placed an ad on TBH in the classifieds to buy or remove a few that folks wanted to get rid of.....I was looking for bad totes or ones they didn't want in their way anymore. Got quite a few replies and got the rest of mine for free. I don't think they are readily available for sale at tote places because they can easily just slide another bladder in or replace a valve and they are back in business. I would look to find somebody who wants to get rid of some or find somebody selling totes cheap ($30 or less) and get em that way. Doesn't take much at all to break them down.....10-15 minutes tops.

I like them because they hold a lot of seed, don't require a tpost in our rocky terrain, they don't smash or bend since they are so rigid, and when I am done with them for the year I just pull the cage off to the side out of the way and it sits until January.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	24574801

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
            straight cotton seed. If you call a Gin and tell them you need "whole cotton seed" they will know exactly what you need. You don't want the hulls for deer.
            Thank You Sir

Comment

This is my setup. 2x4 square wire, 3' diameter, 60" H. Each cage will hold +-500#. They eat it up.
              Attached Files

Comment

Let’s see your cottonseed setups

I have 2 in each pen. Think I will try Smart’s setup for my new pen this summer. I feed Jan-Sept. each wire tube holds about 300lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post

One of ours. We have two baskets per feed pen to reduce competition for feed at each basket. I think we fed over 40 tons last year.

Deer take to it quickly. If they have never seen it, best to sprinkle some corn on the top of the seed pile and on top of the seed overflow on the ground. That way the deer start consuming it accidentally. They will get hooked in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  That deer looks crazy familiar! Nice setups

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                    That deer looks crazy familiar! Nice setups
                    He is a cool buck. Has a year or two left before he is under consideration. Will be fun to follow.

Comment

Do the pigs mess with? I want to try it out but only have 2 feed pens set up as of now.

Comment

An there are a lot of you guys hunting around freer like me

Comment

I am not far from freer. Last year I tried it on my place for the first time and put out 1000 pounds between 2 setups I had penned in with protein in February . I kept dressing it up and turning it trying to keep it fresh but when I finally tore them down in August I would guess the deer had only eaten 100-200 pounds total out of it so I will not be doing it again on my place.

Comment

Originally posted by sundownbrown View Post
                            An there are a lot of you guys hunting around freer like me
                            I hunt just out of Freer. Our deer hammer cottonseed. We’ve been feeding it fior several years. It took about 2 weeks for them to start eating it when we first put it out. All we did was put corn on the overflow that was on the ground. Now when we put it out at the end of season, I bet they start hitting it within a day.

Comment

I am not familiar with cotton seed feeding, does it offer nutrients for the deer? is it cheap to acquire? what are the pros and cons of it versus just protein feed? thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Comment

Cotton Seed Filling Trailer

Trailer holds 2500 pounds of cotton seed. 24HP motor moves 200 pounds of cotton seed a minute.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X