No announcement yet.

I hate arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what are you looking for. From what I read you are wanting to increase penetration.

How do you increase penetration with out buying s faster bow. MASS. mass is the only way. Can you do things to improve your existing arrow yes. Broadhead choice. The best head for penetration is a two blade cut on contact. And a long slender is the best. The worst is a Mech head that requires lots of ke to open.

Let’s look at what you will be hunting. If you are hunting deer in Texas mid 400 with the correct head will do you just fine. Keep the shot in the Magic V. If you prefer heads that require more energy to penetrate then you must increase mass.

Now, as you noticed I never said anything about velocity. You can increase penetration by increaseing velocity. But you cannot increase penetration by increasing velocity with the same bow. This gets us back to buying a faster bow.

So, what did all that bull**** mean. Stay above 500gr get a good head and go kill. Don’t worry about velocity. Mass is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
      14 gauge electric wire! Added 130 grains of it which is about 6 inches or so. Balances out fine with still more weight in the front

Not the right way to go about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pigstika1978 View Post
        This is the set up Troy sent me to try out.
        All of the weight is in the front of the shafts,
        Haven’t had a chance to hunt with them yet but my bows are much quieter and man do they whop my target!!

I shoot 70lbs and have a short draw length of 26.5”

Yup! Troy took me from 412 to 592 grains. The only pass through I had on a pig before was a gut shot. I busted through all kinds of ribs like butter on this guy.
        That's the exit. Entry was on the back end of the V, and he was about broadside. Made it less than 20 yards before he layed down.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
          Yup! Troy took me from 412 to 592 grains. The only pass through I had on a pig before was a gut shot. I busted through all kinds of ribs like butter on this guy.
          That's the exit. Entry was on the back end of the V, and he was about broadside. Made it less than 20 yards before he layed down.

That’s awesome!!
          The man is the real deal!!

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
            Pig, what spine arrow you running?

Carbon Xpress Maxima Hunters dual spine 250’s.
            Gold Tip Hunter XT’s 340’s.
            Black Eagle Spartans 250’s.
            Black Eagle Rampage 300’s.

Comment

Thank you for the replies everyone! More info certainly helps.

Muddy fuzzy obviously I know you know a little about arrows lol. What’s wrong with adding weight with some wire? People add weight in all kinds of weird various ways

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                So, what are you looking for. From what I read you are wanting to increase penetration.

How do you increase penetration with out buying s faster bow. MASS. mass is the only way. Can you do things to improve your existing arrow yes. Broadhead choice. The best head for penetration is a two blade cut on contact. And a long slender is the best. The worst is a Mech head that requires lots of ke to open.

Let’s look at what you will be hunting. If you are hunting deer in Texas mid 400 with the correct head will do you just fine. Keep the shot in the Magic V. If you prefer heads that require more energy to penetrate then you must increase mass.

Now, as you noticed I never said anything about velocity. You can increase penetration by increaseing velocity. But you cannot increase penetration by increasing velocity with the same bow. This gets us back to buying a faster bow.

So, what did all that bull**** mean. Stay above 500gr get a good head and go kill. Don’t worry about velocity. Mass is your friend.

This^^^^

Comment

Thank you for the replies everyone! More info certainly helps.

Muddy fuzzy obviously I know you know a little about arrows lol. What’s wrong with adding weight with some wire? People add weight in all kinds of weird various ways
                  I won't answer for him, but I think the main problem is adding weight to the rear. I would use some JB weld, or something and glue any added weight to the front. With weight in the front, or even over all, it should fly straight. When you have more weight in the back, things start trying to fly sideways, because the weight wants to get out front.

Comment

Carbon Xpress Maxima Hunters dual spine 250’s.
                    Gold Tip Hunter XT’s 340’s.
                    Black Eagle Spartans 250’s.
                    Black Eagle Rampage 300’s.

I like the black eagle arrows. I shot 400 spine renegades before. Changed to 300 spine and added 100 grains to the back of the bone crusher inserts. Also switched to 125 grain Magnus stinger buzzcuts from 100 grain Rage hypos. I plan to try the hypos again, just to see how they do with the weight increase. Gotta rule out the fact that it might just be switching to the fixed blades. Might also try shooting fixed blades on my lighter arrows. I wish I would have been this interested in learning stuff when I was in school. Lol

Comment

I like the black eagle arrows. I shot 400 spine renegades before. Changed to 300 spine and added 100 grains to the back of the bone crusher inserts. Also switched to 125 grain Magnus stinger buzzcuts from 100 grain Rage hypos. I plan to try the hypos again, just to see how they do with the weight increase. Gotta rule out the fact that it might just be switching to the fixed blades. Might also try shooting fixed blades on my lighter arrows. I wish I would have been this interested in learning stuff when I was in school. Lol

I’ve never been a fan of mechanical heads but I’ve killed a few pigs with them.
                      My first go to fixed blade was the Shuttle T’s
                      When they were still made by Tight point.
                      Then I started shooting G5 Strikers for several years and they were awesome till about 2 years ago. Seems the quality went to crap. I do still have older Strikers that I still use on occasion that I just resharpen and they’re like brand new again.
                      I’ve been shooting the Magnus Black Hornets for a couple years now and man I’m super impressed with them.
                      I think they’re the best performing heads I’ve ever shot.
                      Troy also sent me a few heads to try that I’m looking forward to running them through some swine as soon as I get some time away from work.

Comment

I’ve never been a fan of mechanical heads but I’ve killed a few pigs with them.
                        My first go to fixed blade was the Shuttle T’s
                        When they were still made by Tight point.
                        Then I started shooting G5 Strikers for several years and they were awesome till about 2 years ago. Seems the quality went to crap. I do still have older Strikers that I still use on occasion that I just resharpen and they’re like brand new again.
                        I’ve been shooting the Magnus Black Hornets for a couple years now and man I’m super impressed with them.
                        I think they’re the best performing heads I’ve ever shot.
                        Troy also sent me a few heads to try that I’m looking forward to running them through some swine as soon as I get some time away from work.

I almost ordered the black hornets, but I decided on the more tapered design of the stingers...with the bleeder blades. I've only heard good things about the hornets though. I'll probably order them when I decide to play around again.

Comment

I almost ordered the black hornets, but I decided on the more tapered design of the stingers...with the bleeder blades. I've only heard good things about the hornets though. I'll probably order them when I decide to play around again.

Brother they’re awesome heads!!
                          Can’t beat a true COC [emoji41]

Comment

Dang bcj Jones sorry brother didn’t mean to hijack your thread.
                            Bonus though!
                            Some great info in it for you[emoji1360]

Comment

when an arrow has a fixed broadhead on it there is very little impact energy because the head cuts through easily unless it hits bone,,,

keep in mind even the best heaviest and fastest arrows carry less energy than a 22lr round.....

using a mechanical head will get you more impact energy but at the cost of reduced penetration,,,,,, and the impact energy is feeble at best

Comment

Still trying to find the right weight of arrow to shoot. I asked this on another thread but have had no responses. I just added some weight to my arrows because I wanted more impact and penetration. I'm shooting a Halon 6 at 27" and 70lbs. All my arrows weight 553-555 grains total with 100 grain tips cut at 28". Now that i'm reading this maybe im way too heavy but I was recommended to try and get about 8 grains per lb of draw weight. Thats about 16 GPI. Am I way off shooting them this heavy? Shooting Easton Axis 340 spine arrows

They definitely thump the bag more than the 430ish I was shooting them at before but im sure there moving pretty slow compared to before.
                                I have a cpl of questions, first what are you trying to penetrate? If it is a whitetail anything over about 375 grains will do that just fine with a fixed blade head.

What is the impact you mentioned wanting? Kinetic energy? An arrow kills by blood loss not kinetic energy like a bullet. You do need enough energy to get complete penetration.

Comment

Working...
                                X