No announcement yet.

Brisket: A Detailed "How To"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! have you read any into Aaron Franklin's method? I've been having success using it but I might try waiting till probe tender no matter the temp as he recommends pulling at 203 degrees to let rest

Comment

Originally posted by TXSTBowhunter View Post
      Looks great! have you read any into Aaron Franklin's method? I've been having success using it but I might try waiting till probe tender no matter the temp as he recommends pulling at 203 degrees to let rest
      Yup

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
        It's my understanding that since you are cooking in a UDS and most likely using lump coal or briquettes, there isn't enough nitrates in the smoke to cause a smoke ring....if you add wood chunks it will help, but probably not much, unless you use a lot of wood chunks. That is why off set smokers, that solely use wood, have better smoke rings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Learned this exact thing on my last brisket with my Smoky Mountain. I used mainly charcoal with wood mixed in. Didn't get a good smoke ring or very good (IMO) smoke flavor even though the meat cooked perfectly. Doing another brisket this weekend and will make the adjustment back to using charcoal as a slow burning heat stabilizer with wood as the primary fuel.

Comment

Bought a Offset smoker couple months ago and got my moneys worth of pork through it. Guess its about time to make a brisket

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
            I couldn't imagine a brisket being tender at 175-185 unless it was cooked for 20+ hours. It was likely dry because the fat hadn't even rendered out yet. When I say pull it when it "probes like butter" I mean there should be ZERO resistance. Since I did this write up, I have now moved to hot and fast style cooking for brisket. I cook at about 300 degrees and my briskets normally probe tender around 210 degrees IT. Also, next time just put that sucker on the pit and leave it alone. There is no need to keep moving it around, especially when you're cooking at low temperatures. Hope this helps!

About how long per pound is it taking cooking at 300? I have a brisket in the fridge I need to cook. Do you still put it in a foil pan?
            Last edited by mikeyb_23; 07-23-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
              About how long per pound is it taking cooking at 300? I have a brisket in the fridge I need to cook. Do you still put it in a foil pan?
              12-13lbs brisket trimmed down to about 11lbs - ish takes about 6-7 hours from start to finish.

Comment

It cooked a lot quicker than I expected. Put in foil pan at 180°, but it made it to 210° before I pulled it. Some if it was ok, some overcooked. It was only 11 1/2lb pre trim to begin with. Kept temps at 300 or a little below the whole time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

TTT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

our brisket turn ins from this past weekend

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by 512robby View Post

Another brisket grade higher than prime

At HEB

Kobe American Beef brisket

Nice marbling but look at the cost!

Lol, American Kobe Beef. That's literally impossible. That would be like "American Made Scotch." Shame on HEB lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged for later

Comment

👍👍👍

Comment

Following

Comment

Man this alot of good info. I'm gonna use this method soon. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X