No announcement yet.

Attracting Axis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know they like roasted soybeans. Might try putting some out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't forget the frost killed a good number of Axis. So I'd bet there is less of them. In the spot I hunt Axis in Kerrville there used to be dozens of Axis. 3:1 whitetail. Now that number has reversed. Much more whitetail. The buck I shot a few weeks ago had damaged antlers from the frost. Black, like frost burnt. They like green. Alfalfa and chaffhaye.
      Good luck.

Comment

Purchased 10 bags of that chafaye but our axis in RS ran from it! The WT liked it but only the immature bucks.

Comment

Chafaye is a waste of time on Axis. Regular ole alfalfa, protein and cottonseed work best.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
            Chafaye is a waste of time on Axis. Regular ole alfalfa, protein and cottonseed work best.

Yep

Comment

My place in Uvalde has axis less then half a mile from our gate. I can not get them to our place. Our terrain changes In elevation and is a lot more rocky from where we see them. Alfalfa and chafe have both failed me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                We hunt a place that is on the edge of a part of the hill country where there are axis. According to the neighbor, they've only seen one in 20 years, but there are populations within 5-10 miles.

What can be done to get them to come over and visit lol? Alternatively, what can be done to increase the chances of seeing one in an area with limited population?
                Move 5-10 miles from where you are?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                  Purchased 10 bags of that chafaye but our axis in RS ran from it! The WT liked it but only the immature bucks.
                  So funny as my Axis in RA will put me in the poor house eating chafaye hay.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                    Maybe the lack of water is relevant.
                    This is #1. Axis like/need water. A river or creek is awesome, but good stock tanks or water troughs that are never dry are equally good.

Grass is #2. They like good green grass. Some herds will hit corn or protein, but I've hunted places loaded with axis that wouldn't hit a feeder more than once every few weeks. They love acorns, so oak trees help too.

Sweet feed, chaffhay, and alfalfa are all the best attractants, but you can't buy enough of that stuff to get axis to move into your place if they're not already there or very close. 5-10 miles is a long way.

Comment

#1 - WATER
                      #2 - Alfalfa

Comment

I don’t think there is any feed that an Axis is going to find from 10 miles away. Time is your best bet. Eventually maybe they will come close enough to lure them in.

Comment

Working...
                        X