X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Collier View Post
    Dale,
    What brand are you going to get?
    Just a basic little Ryobi to get him going.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
      I mowed 1.5 acres with a push mower that was a 22" cut and I never got paid nor did I expect to get paid!!!!!!!! I think working hard like this as a kid made me into the man I am today!!!!!! I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!!! Kids need to learn to work and help out around the house, Parents do way to much nowadays IMO!!!!!!!!
      And just think!!!!!! About all the **** exclamation points you saved up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

He sure does!!!

Comment

My 2 princesses may break a nail or something...so it's just dad out there. But my woman will weed eat so that helps.

Comment

Not yet

And they won’t get paid

Comment

we live on 2 acres. I have the boys do all the weed eating etc... but I mow with our zero turn for no other reason than I just love to mow on that thing. No body talks to me and it is peaceful.

As far as pay....they live in my house and thats just what they do so they get paid nothing.

Comment

how will you ever teach them to serve and volunteer otherwise?

Comment

At this stage in my life. I'll come live with any of you. You buy my clothes, insurance, food, room and board, phone, car insurance, free TV, a pool, and I will mow the hell out of your yard. And say thank you for the $20. At that rate I am coming ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                    Well he's only 11 but he already doesn't ask for me to buy him stuff other than birthday and Christmas. Just like your kid he will come ask for chores to do to earn money. To me, paying him for "work" and then him using his own earned money teaches way more than me not pay him but him always coming and asking me to buy him something. I know for me growing up it was the same. Every single thing I had growing up past the age of 12 was either a birthday or Christmas gift or something I bought with my own earnings. I feel like it taught me way more than just my parents making me do chores for "free" but then them buying me what I wanted.
                    Yep. I understand the thinking that the kid lives in my house, so he/she should do chores for nothing. Makes sense. But I wanted my kids to learn to work and do chores AND learn how to handle money. I tried to teach them how to be smart with money, and I gave them incentives to do so. But I also gave them complete freedom to blow at least 80% of what they earned on stupid stuff that they'd regret spending money on pretty quick. I wanted them to make all the dumb mistakes everybody makes with money while they were young and only had access to small amounts of money. I didn't want them to have to wait to learn all that stuff and make all those rookie mistakes when they were older and beginning to have access to larger amounts of money with larger responsibilities on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                      I will pay my kids $400 to mow our 3 acres with the zero turn.

I also charge them $395 each time they rent my zero turn.

Comment

Uhhhh no. Daddy’s princesses don’t mow grass. [emoji849]. However, my wife has had a stable of housekeeping workhorses for over 20 years. They do laundry, dishes, garbage duty, etc. They get paid every time they put their feet under my table.

I always wanted a son to work into the ground like my dad did me. Starting at about 8years old, I had to mow 5ac...1/2ac push and 4.5ac with lawn tractor. Had to weedeat around at least a hundred trees, two houses and a barn. Had to edge 1 driveway. Had to do it before I had a lick of fun. I got paid in room and board and hugs and discipline. Best childhood I could have ever asked for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                          I mowed 1.5 acres with a push mower that was a 22" cut and I never got paid nor did I expect to get paid!!!!!!!! I think working hard like this as a kid made me into the man I am today!!!!!! I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!!! Kids need to learn to work and help out around the house, Parents do way to much nowadays IMO!!!!!!!!
                          This, although when i was coming up, the mower was a blade real, push it back and forth , and we lived in the projects in Galveston, but Dad would make me go the maintenance guy and ask for real mower to cut are part of the yard,, back then i thought it was just to be a d*-k, but now i know way, instilling that work ethic, planting the seed,

Comment

My parents taught me about money at an early age, they didn't have to pay me to teach me about it. When I wanted money my friend and I mowed yards for $35 back in the day and there yards were the same size as mine 1.5 acres. Problem with paying them at an early age is they think anytime you ask them to do something they have to get paid. When I was 14 years old I mowed with a 15 foot mower ( no cab and ac either ) and made $160 per week and worked 70-80 hours a week!!!!!!!! These are the things that made me who I am today and I am **** proud of it!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

When I was a kid I had to mow 4 acres with an old slow john deere which made it an all day affair. The day I graduated and moved out parents went and got them a big 48" zero turn and was able to mow the yard in about 3 hours. Somehow the mowing responsibility bypassed my little brother.

Oh, and I wasn't paid lol.

Comment

My 6 year old does on the zero turn. I don’t pay him. But I keep him stocked up in lunchables and Capri sun

Comment

Working...
                                X