Axis Cull Bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Cull Bucks

I've been invited to go hunt axis in the Rocksprings for the chance to get a "cull" or "management" axis buck with a bow or gun.

For you axis hunters out there, what is a cull or management buck to you??? Got any pics to help me?

thanks

Be pretty hard to judge that for us right now. We aren’t shooting any axis bucks until they grow their next set of horns. All of our bucks that were in velvet in February had damage to their horns.

A full grown, mature axis looks like an absolute tank. Their belly line will be virtually straight from their elbows to their knees. A “cull” for us is a fully mature buck that has weak caudles or brow tines or doesn’t grow one or the other at all. The ranch you’re on may have different standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am seeing most of the axis in our area have "nubbs" for antlers this year. We've got some huge bodied deer with essentially no antlers.

Comment

This is a cull on my place...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0118.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	24670416

here is a good example of some axis culls.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
            This is a cull on my place...

did he grow them like that or are they broken from fighting? a lot of mine will have broken antlers by the end of the rut

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
              did he grow them like that or are they broken from fighting? a lot of mine will have broken antlers by the end of the rut
              Grown...that's right before he shed velvet. Basically a giant spike with nubs for bows and cuddle tines

Comment

Can I come shoot a cull?

Comment

If the herd is getting big then it is usually small bucks (less than 2yrs) and does. If they are managing for long wide Axis then those that are tall and narrow. older ones with short caudals.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                    Can I come shoot a cull?

Comment

Id let them tell you what they want shot vs left.

Comment

Here is my big cull axis. I love hunting big cull axis they are pretty cool

Name:	D1FB5C47-0C55-4D91-9DFC-62947B8AF901.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	24670431

Name:	64856FA6-54AB-4B00-B045-552D73061A00.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	24670430

Comment

Good info, thanks guys

Comment

Hopefully not hijacking thread. Do they have classifications for axis?

Comment

It can be very hard to judge age on axis sometimes. It’s crazy to me how old some free ranging axis are. I hunt in Kimble/Menard and the mature bucks I see are usually on camera at night. I guess they are old for a reason. I would consider culls to be less than 30 inches with short caudals/narrow. We don’t shoot any axis that are not trophy’s since we want the population to increase.

I really wish there was a in depth study on their population in the hill country since the winter freeze. I’m amazed at how their population has increased (prior to the freeze) since they have no restrictions and everyone wants to shoot them or trap them. I enjoy hunting/watching them more than whitetail. That’s my opinion on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X