No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally some success, well sort of. Found where hogs were rooting around in the woods and I finally saw a hog. I was way deep in Pecan Grove walking the edge of a dry creek bed and I hear a grunt and a hog comes out the bottom and starts looking around like he wanted a fight. He was about 20 yards away but I couldn't get a shot through the brush. I tried to move around for a clear shot and he went another 10 yards and stopped but still no shot. I tried to keep up with him but lost him in the brush. But very exciting! Next step is dropping the string on one.

Comment

Originally posted by newronin View Post
      Finally some success, well sort of. Found where hogs were rooting around in the woods and I finally saw a hog. I was way deep in Pecan Grove walking the edge of a dry creek bed and I hear a grunt and a hog comes out the bottom and starts looking around like he wanted a fight. He was about 20 yards away but I couldn't get a shot through the brush. I tried to move around for a clear shot and he went another 10 yards and stopped but still no shot. I tried to keep up with him but lost him in the brush. But very exciting! Next step is dropping the string on one.
      Keep at it! You'll succeed, and the feeling of pride in hauling a big ol bow killed hog out of Granger is like no other.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Howdy everyone. New bowhunter, granger is the closest public opportunity and just wanted to know what are all the license and permits I need. I e tried calling a few times but no one picks up. I know I need a license and an aph, is there anything else I need?

Comment

Texas hunting license, archery permit, and APH permit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Silentbutdedly View Post
            Howdy everyone. New bowhunter, granger is the closest public opportunity and just wanted to know what are all the license and permits I need. I e tried calling a few times but no one picks up. I know I need a license and an aph, is there anything else I need?
            That's all you need, brotha. Go get 'em!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              Texas hunting license, archery permit, and APH permit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
              This. Good luck out there!

Comment

Tuesday morn. Cold. maybe drizzle. Day moon. Maybe Walk a few miles. (as long as not getting wet). Will report if anything to share. I spotted a few blinds assumed belonging to lucky to be drawn deer hunters. Will steer clear of course but some are crafty and hard to spot. I need to get out so will watch and detour best possible. Hope not many out on a Tuesday.

Comment

Saw zero people. Zero pig. Many Deer. Mist turned to light rain 10:30. Lake is low which gave easy access to some areas I never venture. Little sign but some. Walked Gate 6 east a mile or so and than west almost to Gate 7 return to 6 making a crazy 8. Roughly 3 hours steady moderate walk so saw a lot of area. Was tempted to broad head a squirrel.

Comment

Shows like you had fun.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                      Saw zero people. Zero pig. Many Deer. Mist turned to light rain 10:30. Lake is low which gave easy access to some areas I never venture. Little sign but some. Walked Gate 6 east a mile or so and than west almost to Gate 7 return to 6 making a crazy 8. Roughly 3 hours steady moderate walk so saw a lot of area. Was tempted to broad head a squirrel.
                      Was out Sunday and Monday. I saw 3 hunters on Sunday and none on Monday. I didn't see any hogs either day.

My real question after seeing herds of deer at every location i have tried around the lake is, was there ever general deer hunting in Granger or has it always been a draw system? Why don't they just open it up to the general public to archery only deer hunting for the whole deer season and give more PHL holders a chance to hunt deer?

Comment

Was out Sunday and Monday. I saw 3 hunters on Sunday and none on Monday. I didn't see any hogs either day.

My real question after seeing herds of deer at every location i have tried around the lake is, was there ever general deer hunting in Granger or has it always been a draw system? Why don't they just open it up to the general public to archery only deer hunting for the whole deer season and give more PHL holders a chance to hunt deer?
                        Fake news! There's no deer at Granger.

Someone had to say it.

Comment

Dwarf,
                          It's "no hogs at Granger" there are a couple deer!

Comment

There are 2 deer. Wearing little bells and a ribbon. One has a red nose.

Comment

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

It’s not big enough to open it up for walk-in deer hunting even if it’s archery only. You look at the national forests in TX that have walk in hunting and they are 5-10x the size. The smaller ones don’t have any deer. Granger would be deer hunted out the first year if you opened it up. Look at how hard it is the find a hog out there now with the hunting pressure. That’s what the deer hunting would be like if they opened it up. If the deer population gets out of hand, they would just open up more draw spots. There are already nothing but small spikes and doe out there now as is [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Perhaps limiting deer harvest to doe only and then with documented doe harvest a random draw for a buck tag. With a limit on total hunters based on acreage. Management of this would be a challenge and any violations would have to be addressed immediately and severely. Hang the first violator and the word would get out! (Just kidding) Kinda!

Comment

Working...
                                X