2020 Pushmataha county/SE Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlersBoy View Post
    One down. 10:30 this morning not much of a story but made me work for it. Checked 5/6 scrapes and never gave up a shot. Luckily and little **** head came in and made him turn just enough. Slipped one in him and he made it all of 15 yards. Little guys starting to bump does, big boys will be about a week behind them.[ATTACH]1023943[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]1023944[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome picture there! Huge frame! Congrats!

Comment

This dude showed up a few days- hoping for a chance to sling an arrow

Comment

are you guys seeing much daytime movement?

Comment

Originally posted by chocolatelabs View Post
          are you guys seeing much daytime movement?

Daytime movement seems pretty good to me. Mid-late morning and then about 30mons before dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
            Daytime movement seems pretty good to me. Mid-late morning and then about 30mons before dark.

This is right. About before daylight. Late morning and right before dark. Dinks are for sure pushing some does. Our two biggest are still together....probably just weirdos. Scrapes are HOT too.

Comment

ok thanks. was debating on going up this weekend vs. next but maybe this weekend is the one.

Comment

ok thanks. was debating on going up this weekend vs. next but maybe this weekend is the one.
                Go every chance possible from now until Thanksgiving would be my advice.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

true but won't go over all that well on the home front.

Comment

Originally posted by antlersboy View Post
                    one down. 10:30 this morning not much of a story but made me work for it. Checked 5/6 scrapes and never gave up a shot. Luckily and little **** head came in and made him turn just enough. Slipped one in him and he made it all of 15 yards. Little guys starting to bump does, big boys will be about a week behind them.[ATTACH]1023943[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]1023944[/ATTACH]

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                    congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
                      This is right. About before daylight. Late morning and right before dark. Dinks are for sure pushing some does. Our two biggest are still together....probably just weirdos. Scrapes are HOT too.

Agree that on this.

Comment

true but won't go over all that well on the home front.
                        Thats the reason I haven't been yet, save those hot opening few weeks for the lady and the rut few weeks for me!!! Haha good luck and if I would have to choose this weekend or next I would skip this weekend and make a deal the next 3 weekends are hunting time!!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                          You had to go out-do Michael didn’t you?!

Congrats. That’s a heck of a buck!

Ha, that was a stud of a deer and I got to put a knife in him to finish off so feels like I really killed two donkeys in two days. I don’t think I out did mike though. He not going to type it up so I will do it quick. Bought the place one year ago asked for a little advice on deer and how to get them cornered then him and josh “Sb...whatever his green screen name is” put in a pile of work made stand spots hung cams put up feeders starting getting pics and asking age. Took a couple old deer off place and killed a pile of coyotes. Started this year with a few target deer and one of them was one mike got on, Josh passes him at 40 while his buddy was sitting on other end of property. Next day buddy was sitting in josh’s stand and whacked him about 6 pm and 4,000 yards “62” deer ran about 80 reforestation piling up.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	24633939

Comment

While I’m in the typing mood I’ll put a little story behind deer I killed because I realized I like to read the story’s on this site.

BROW TINE 8.

First got on my radar 4 years ago, got a pic of a buck I did not know... which is rare, I run about 30/40 cams on this 4,000 acres. His brows got me hooked.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2580.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	24633940
                            Started running a few extra cams around his area. Tested him that year with with some horns to see how aggressive he was. Rattled him in off ground first go at it. After seeing him on hoof knew he was going to be fun to watch.

Next year “18” I had several donkeys I was chasing but kept cams running in normal spots. Had a few passing photos of deer throughout year, killed 2 deer I was after and starting pulling cams down without giving much thought to him.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2576.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	24633941
                            Next year “19” I had way to much to hunt and way to little time, ran around in circles for a while before I killed a couple good bucks. Didn’t spend much time on that particular lease but still kept cams running in normal spots. Had a big boss come in and set him up in one of my go to stand. Almost had a shot at a “monster” in his eyes. I said what he look like, he said “brows up to his g-2’s”..... glad he didn’t get shot.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2577.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	24633942
                            This year, I cut way way way back on what I normally hunt and focused on my honey hole lease, few weeks into running cams in normal spots this guy showed upClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2484.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	24633943
                            So I put all efforts into figuring out what he was doing and where he was coming and going from, about a week ago a fellow lesser said you know this deer? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	24633944
                            And I did, so set up on a scrape line in between him and spot I had deer on. Most of mine were at night and his were daytime.

Since oilfield crashed I’ve been at home working around house not getting off till late so me and my 4 year hung some cams at night. Checked couple days later and had good daytime pics of target deer. Went in Friday night and hung stand, hunted all day sat on scrape line to only find out it was a definite community scrape. Fun sit but no target deer.

Gave it another try Sunday with the day pics from couple days before. Carried in 1 gal ziplock bag of corn before daylight and scattered around in front of stand. Watched deer off and on till 10 a.m. when I was ready to call it a day with hot and humid air about to choke out the 2 ozonics I had running, deer were starting to get jumpy when they came in.

A old camel headed doe came in to clean up what was not left of chum pile I’d thrown out, thought to myself when she leaves I’ll pack it up, played some stupid mindless game on my phone to pass time when I looked up she was on point.... that’s when I saw brows coming in straight down wind towards me.

Of course he stood facing me watching does feed and checking scrapes for 20+ minutes while I set with cam on knee and release on string trying to just focus on spot to shoot at 18 yards away.

Finally after 42 hrs a small buck got to close behind him and he spun to bluff him and opened up arm pit. At full draw I went through all the stupid crap I normally do, cam clear of leg, limbs, and stand. Nose on string, aim low he’s close, off side leg, pick a spot, squeeze squeeze squeeze, surprise! Lighted nocked disappeared then showed again with the watermelon thump of a rage hypo hitting my ears. Deer jumped and ran 4 steps, looked back at spot where arrow was stuck in ground tries to walk and nose dived into ground.

Deer turned out to be couple years older than I’d thought. Jaw after caping job for taxidermist.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2571.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	24633945

Comment

Congratulations on your buck and thanks for the write up! I’m always curious on the story of how somebody kills a big buck.

Comment

Nice deer there and great write up. I’ll be up there again this weekend. It’s my first year in Oklahoma and it’s a learning experience from hunting all over south and west Texas. Looking forward to the challenge and learning how to hunt this area. So far the deer and bear seem nocturnal and haven’t seen anything on the hoof yet. Have good activity at night and early early morning. I am hunting feeders right now and only have cams set at feeders as we speak. Have some set up in oak patches and some along water sources. Hoping these next few weeks will bring the deer out. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X