No announcement yet.

Generator / electric panel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.Can i see a pic of your panel with the door open? Not the door., the main breaker and dead front.
    2. How big is your generator?

Comment

There are reasons to use a qualified person.
      One big one is if the job isn't done correctly and you DIY, something as simple as a lug not torqued correctly, homeowners insurance may not cover repairs and replacement of a burned down home.
      A licensed and bonded electrical contractor would hold the liability for a mistake they make. That's one reason they cost more. That liability insurance isn't inexpensive to have.
      Also if you ever sell the home and a permit wasn't filed then they could pull electrical service to the home until it is inspected and proven to meet code. If it doesn't meet code it could cost a lot more in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        There are reasons to use a qualified person.
        One big one is if the job isn't done correctly and you DIY, something as simple as a lug not torqued correctly, homeowners insurance may not cover repairs and replacement of a burned down home.
        A licensed and bonded electrical contractor would hold the liability for a mistake they make. That's one reason they cost more. That liability insurance isn't inexpensive to have.
        Also if you ever sell the home and a permit wasn't filed then they could pull electrical service to the home until it is inspected and proven to meet code. If it doesn't meet code it could cost a lot more in the long run.

Forgot to add that plus he told me that some of equipment people use also is not getting the proper current to your appliances in your house which if you are using this switch every will be fine. I feel much better now having this and its done right. The box is bigger and cost more than what he would use but guess what its like trying to buy ammo right. Its only going to get higher. That's the world we're living right. Sucks

Comment

Yes. Yes it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
            1.Can i see a pic of your panel with the door open? Not the door., the main breaker and dead front.
            2. How big is your generator?
            1. Same as the attach pic without any breakers installed. Should be able to install a interlock

2. Generator is a 12000/9500w, looking to power a 2.5 ton ac and fridge at the least.Click image for larger version

Name:	ItemImage-566406-qcj746-5it66g-2mrx7o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	24653536

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
              Yes you can. Just got mine done to my house. Use a lic. elect. Most places require you get a permit and the power company might come out and pull the meter pan till switch is installed. I know what some are saying on here and I was told the same thing. But a lic. elect. and a good friend told no way. Do it right cause if some thing wrong you will be in a heep of trouble. Cost me $2300 because I waited so long and some of that stuff is hard to fine not even you can get it and the prices of material are going up every dad. My biggest cost was for my feed wire from generator to the switch box that was 85' but I wanted generator away from my house in my shed and made it a extra longer just in case. You might not have that problem looking at your pictures. Do not try to run power from your gen. to a dryer plug end people do that but God for bid if some happens and some one gets kill or you burn your house down. Cause if happens they will come check it. Good Luck but If I was you I would get it done by a lic. person Brother
              Thanks for the advice. Yours sounds similar to mine. Did you end up installing the generator power inlet outside the shed or inside?

Comment

Originally posted by etxranch View Post
                Thanks for the advice. Yours sounds similar to mine. Did you end up installing the generator power inlet outside the shed or inside?

No the generator has the plug in already. Now just plug in trip switches to Ac Water heater and the whole house has power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This Generator interlock.

This cord and 50amp power inlet.

Material list
                  1 - 1" chase nipple
                  1 - 1" lock ring
                  1 - 1" plastic bushing
                  3 or 4 self tapping screws
                  Possibly a 1 3/8" bi-metal hole saw
                  About 9ft #6 thhn wire
                  1 Eaton BR250 breaker
                  Red white green phase tape

Place 2pole 50a breaker in upper right 2/4 position
                  Install power inlet on side of 200a panel. Might have to drill a hole for the chase nipple.

Yes the buss bar is hot.. dont touch it.
                  Use card board or such as needed for protection.
                  Run a black wire from breaker (2) to the black term of power inlet
                  Run a red wire from breaker (4) to the red term of inlet
                  Run a white wire from panel neutral to the white term of inlet
                  Run a green wire from the bonded neutral to the ground of power inlet box.

Install interlock per instructions..
                  Total time, maybe 2 hours.
                  You can shut off the main.. then its only hot on the top lugs where the wires from meter are terminated..
                  You just need a band of the phase tape colors on each end... say 1" from where its terminated.. no need to wrap the entire wire...

Comment

I would mount 220v breaker and feed a plug like above. Always make sure the main is off if the generator is connected. Close main open the 220 breaker. You are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
                      I would mount 220v breaker and feed a plug like above. Always make sure the main is off if the generator is connected. Close main open the 220 breaker. You are good to go.
                      If you use the interlock mentioned above the main breaker and the generator breaker cannot be closed at the same time. Keeps someone from screwing up and backfeeding the grid.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                        https://www.amazon.com/EAT-PN200-Cut...a-819852908588

This Generator interlock.

This cord and 50amp power inlet.

Material list
                        1 - 1" chase nipple
                        1 - 1" lock ring
                        1 - 1" plastic bushing
                        3 or 4 self tapping screws
                        Possibly a 1 3/8" bi-metal hole saw
                        About 9ft #6 thhn wire
                        1 Eaton BR250 breaker
                        Red white green phase tape

Place 2pole 50a breaker in upper right 2/4 position
                        Install power inlet on side of 200a panel. Might have to drill a hole for the chase nipple.

Yes the buss bar is hot.. dont touch it.
                        Use card board or such as needed for protection.
                        Run a black wire from breaker (2) to the black term of power inlet
                        Run a red wire from breaker (4) to the red term of inlet
                        Run a white wire from panel neutral to the white term of inlet
                        Run a green wire from the bonded neutral to the ground of power inlet box.

Install interlock per instructions..
                        Total time, maybe 2 hours.
                        You can shut off the main.. then its only hot on the top lugs where the wires from meter are terminated..
                        You just need a band of the phase tape colors on each end... say 1" from where its terminated.. no need to wrap the entire wire...
                        Thank you for the details [emoji4]

Comment

PLug

Also not to confuse you my generator sits inside my shed door out of the weather. I just plug in my power cord to the gen and plug the other into the outlet on the breaker box.

Comment

Also not to confuse you my generator sits inside my shed door out of the weather. I just plug in my power cord to the gen and plug the other into the outlet on the breaker box.
                            Outlet on the breaker box is in the shed too?

Comment

Box

Outlet on the breaker box is in the shed too?
                              No look at the picture of my box I posted. That's on box and meter pan at the house. I keep my generator in my shed away from the house because of fumes and noise. The outlet plug in is the little round outlet on the side of the big box in the picture.

Comment

This
                                That works, but definetly overkill.
                                Did you not have a main circuit breaker in your panel?

Comment

Working...
                                X