Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are state highway medians public land and able to be legally hunted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say do it and make sure you post a "live hunt" thread

Bet it will get Michael a lot of site traffic and in return some more income for the site

If you get caught I bet Larry could design an awesome shirt in either black and white stripes or bright orange to commemorate the event

Comment

Hide in plain sight and you’ll be just fine.

Comment

I do a lot of illegal stuff, but hunting medians isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let me know how it works out. Got a TXDOT detention pond that holds lots of ducks I'd like to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
            If you are just going to stay in Texas and you are serious about this, get a white work truck and apply Texas Agrilife decals on it. Keep some road cones around too.

I went the small white truck route with removable magnetic signs, AgriLife, AT&T, DOT, and others.
            No joke right here. Some guys stole a Harris County Pollution Control truck, parked it in the ditch in front of our building, turned on the hazard lights, and were cutting our fence to break in. Broad daylight and cars all over. No one paid attention.

Looking official will take care of 99% of your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              If it is in East TX. Go for it.
              You better not. That is a private lease and will surely have posted signs somewhere.

Comment

Let’s assume the median is hunted and the hunter successfully takes a axis Buck by archery means and 1: Has used a arrow shot from a compound bow so not legally a “firearm”. 2: The projectile (arrow/broadhead) never crossed public road or exited the animal. 3. The Axis Buck ran within the confines of the wooded median and expired there in.

What law has been broken? I think this is the same question from the op.

Comment

Well strike this off my list of things I'd thought I'd never see a TBHer post about....

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                    Let’s assume the median is hunted and the hunter successfully takes a axis Buck by archery means and 1: Has used a arrow shot from a compound bow so not legally a “firearm”. 2: The projectile (arrow/broadhead) never crossed public road or exited the animal. 3. The Axis Buck ran within the confines of the wooded median and expired there in.

It's treated the same as hunting on private land without permission. The state (TXDOT) is considered a private entity that owns the land, the public does not. You can argue all day that "we pay taxes therefore it's ours" but that's not how it works.

Comment

This is a violation of the primary rule, “don’t get caught”.

I usually use a 243 handi rifle with a pistol grip and now the CVA version of the same. A few of them I leave at the locations. Put your stands up in the summer and leave them forever. Use screw in steps.

Its too easy to get access by permission to private land for small game like ducks, squirrels, and such.

I’d probably trap the ducks in the pond mentioned or it will draw attention.

Comment

Hopefully there’s a Walmart close by to clean that bad boy at after you stick him!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                          Hopefully there’s a Walmart close by to clean that bad boy at after you stick him!!
                          Thats funny to me because while not usually the case in Texas, if you can make it to Walmart parking lot in Mississippi with a deer in the back, you’ll blend in.

There are some prime hunting opportunities of this type in Mississippi.

Comment

Do it!!!!
                            Make sure to use a bowfishing rig so the animal can't get to far. I would tie everything off to the tree with cable though, those Axis are strong.

Comment

See post #20.

Comment

Just go for it and post the LDPs. Remember without pictures it didn’t happen. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X