No announcement yet.

AC decided to give up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got home from the field last June(wife was in Houston) after sweating for 4 days and walked into a warm house. After a few cussing moments I found the closest place to me that would sell me a capacitor. Grabbed the bad one and ran up there(at least the truck has AC) and picked two up. Back to the house and swapped it out. Luckily that was the fix.

Always keep a few on hand. You will be your own savior, and sooner or later will save a family member/neighbor on a Sunday when no one is open.

Comment

New unit installed and already at 73 degrees inside after running for an hour.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

i keep capacitors and fan motors in stock for just such an emergency. Has saved me mucho!

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
          i keep capacitors and fan motors in stock for just such an emergency. Has saved me mucho!
          I do also, but that don't work when the compressor takes a crap. I keep spare relays and a control board for my air handler also.

If I hadn't noticed the increased noise from the until leading up to it quitting, I might have replaced a few thing to see if I could get it going.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
            New unit installed and already at 73 degrees inside after running for an hour.

Glad your back in Coolville.

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
              Glad to read that AntlerCollector is ok. thread title threw me for a loop
              LOL, same here.

Comment

More A/C issues over here....any help would be appreciated.

Our house was at 75 Monday at dark when I got home, not super alarming, but higher than normal. I keep it on 70 or 71 and it doesn't get over 73 or so even in +100 heat, then catches up by midnight or so. Tuesday it got up to 77 or 78, and only cooled down to 73 or so by daylight yesterday. Unit has run non stop, compressor is running, fans running, no ice on coils that I could see.

I had a guy out yesterday who found some ice inside the coils and put 1 1/2 pounds of freon in it. He basically said it's old and losing capacity...does that sound right?

He said we can't just replace the outside unit, because they have new refrigerant now, and the whole unit would have to be replaced. Unit is 13 years old and runs on R22, I believe. I have no reason NOT to trust the guy, and he wasn't pushing to buy a new system, but this is the first time I've used him.

Any AC experts have other ideas besides window units?

Comment

Old freon can be blown out of Inside coils as long it's not contaminated with burnt freon and old oil.

Make sure you have good flow across your coils. A clean, cheap, plan old filter, and not a fancy pleated high dollar one; works best for good air flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Our house was at 75 Monday at dark when I got home, not super alarming, but higher than normal. I keep it on 70 or 71 and it doesn't get over 73 or so even in +100 heat, then catches up by midnight or so. Tuesday it got up to 77 or 78, and only cooled down to 73 or so by daylight yesterday. Unit has run non stop, compressor is running, fans running, no ice on coils that I could see.

I had a guy out yesterday who found some ice inside the coils and put 1 1/2 pounds of freon in it. He basically said it's old and losing capacity...does that sound right?

He said we can't just replace the outside unit, because they have new refrigerant now, and the whole unit would have to be replaced. Unit is 13 years old and runs on R22, I believe. I have no reason NOT to trust the guy, and he wasn't pushing to buy a new system, but this is the first time I've used him.

Same exact situation I’m in. He’s right. Most likely you have a leak in your coil in the air handler in the attic. I have limped mine along with the same 1.5-2.5 pounds added of R22 a season. Problem now is 22 is expensive! Changing out the whole system is in my future and suspect yours as well.

Comment

I run our family company down here in Victoria/Port Lavaca. It’s highly recommended to replace both inside and out when switching refrigerants. You may get away with just doing either/or, but it could also cause problems.

Comment

No expert by any means, but I bet you have a leak on your evaporator coil on the inside. A leak tester could find it. We had our evaporator coil replaced in April on our 20 year old unit with a slightly used one and it is working great. I bought a 30 pound jug of R22 in the classifieds on here. Nortex AC Parts in Midlothian will sell you just about any part you’ll need if you want to fix it rather than go all new.

Comment

AC decided to give up.

Agreed Dale on the coil leak probably being inside and changing both based on experience. Milked a 6-7 year inside evap coil leak that had to be topped off every late spring and finally had enough at year 20 of the unit. Was fortunate to have my own tank of freon but that was empty as well on the last go. My 20 year AC guy who I trust said the same as above. Always better to change them both with the new refrigerants. I had to anyway but that just came up in our conversation. What a great feeling to have a newer updated more efficient unit in warranty and not have to worry about that **** thing quitting during summer …. The cost sucked but the peace of mind was well worth it. Been hanging meat in the house since 5/2000.
                          Last edited by Smart; 06-23-2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem Dale! Been putting freon in mine once a year since 2017. My unit is 2008 trane and r22 also. Mine unit runs all day and night and never cycles off right now. Will be about 75 mid day. I have a new outside unit and coil on order now. The r22 is the problem since its phased out now and most companies want $200lb and cant get units or coils that run on r22. I had freon added this April and its low again so the leak is worse and its time to change. Got about 15 yrs out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                              I have the same problem Dale! Been putting freon in mine once a year since 2017. My unit is 2008 trane and r22 also. Mine unit runs all day and night and never cycles off right now. Will be about 75 mid day. I have a new outside unit and coil on order now. The r22 is the problem since its phased out now and most companies want $200lb and cant get units or coils that run on r22. I had freon added this April and its low again so the leak is worse and its time to change. Got about 15 yrs out of it.
                              Try Facebook marketplace or Craigslist if you’re looking for R22, a lot on the there.

Comment

My unit is a 2009 model. I wonder if it’s worth trying to find an inside coil and have replaced?

I’d spend a little $$ on that over replacing the system if it would work. It’s 79 in here now, and I am not a 79 degree guy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X