AC decided to give up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    Fans are running fine inside and out. Compressor wont start. Could be a start capacitor but the unit should have never shut off at 3pm yesterday in 100 degree heat to bring the start capacitor into the equation. I hope its something simple but my gut tells me it's not. AC guy will be out this evening, until then we are camped out in the bedrooms with portable ACs.
    That's the exact issue I had. Same as what the AC guy said. Fans will run but the compressor won't.

Comment

Mine lost a capacitor on Friday. Luckily I have a buddy that has an AC company. 20 minutes after noticing it we were having a drink while the house cooled back down.

Comment

If it ends up being a capacitor or a relay, buy a few to have extra. I started keeping at least one extra cause it seems they don't last like they should. Usually a 15-20 min swap and up and running again.

Comment

Sorry to hear that but I feel you has to replace the outside unit on mine last week unit was only 7 years old to….

Comment

Welp, just as I suspected, luck wasn't going to factor into this one. Compressor locked up. Going to run a few $$$$ to get a new outside until. Should have it installed tomorrow hopefully.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Welp, just as I suspected, luck wasn't going to factor into this one. Compressor locked up. Going to run a few $$$$ to get a new outside until. Should have it installed tomorrow hopefully.

Sorry man.. sucks but the good news is hopefully you have another 20 before you have to worry about it again … and your bill should drop with a more efficient unit.

Comment

Time to start selling feet pictures on the interwebs

Comment

Dont feel bad. I had a company come out yesterday also. I am having to replace my outside unit and coil.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                    Time to start selling feet pictures on the interwebs
                    Now there is a idea. How much you think I could get for a few pics of these bad boys?

Comment

What kind of MOJO VOODOO were you putting out yesterday Jay? I walked in the house at 3:30 from watering the lawn and didn’t get that burst of cold air when entering. I went and looked at the thermostat that is set at 72 and the temp is reading 76. I looked at my wife sitting on the couch watching TV and playing on her IPad and said doesn’t the house seem a little warm to you and she said yes it does. I’m on it!! The fan isn’t running outside so shut power off and pulled the cover. Sure nuff the capacitor has a top on it like the Astrodome. 20 minutes later we are up and running. Used my last one so time to reorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        What kind of MOJO VOODOO were you putting out yesterday Jay? I walked in the house at 3:30 from watering the lawn and didn’t get that burst of cold air when entering. I went and looked at the thermostat that is set at 72 and the temp is reading 76. I looked at my wife sitting on the couch watching TV and playing on her IPad and said doesn’t the house seem a little warm to you and she said yes it does. I’m on it!! The fan isn’t running outside so shut power off and pulled the cover. Sure nuff the capacitor has a top on it like the Astrodome. 20 minutes later we are up and running. Used my last one so time to reorder.
                        Same here!! Got home yesterday and it was already 80 degrees inside. Capacitor is swollen, and spinning the fan by hand didn't help. A/C buddy is on his way today t replace and leave me a few extra.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          Well its 100 degrees out side so it's the season for ACs to go out. They never go out when it 80 outside.

Comment

I would go to grainger and buy a capacitor and swap it out and see if it works

Mine are 20 years old. Capacitors fail every other year

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                              Mine went out Thursday. Hopefully the AC guys get here today. For those of you that replaced the capacitor yourselves, what's the easiest way to tell it's bad? I'm headed to YouTube
                              The easiest way is to look at your capacitor for the size, order two and have them on hand. If something happens, go swap the capacitor to rule it out. If it comes back online… good to go. If not… might have to call the A/C guys.

Don’t forget there is usually a capacitor for your blower fan in the air handler. Keep those on hand too.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                                Id bet it is a capacitor and not a system failure. Mine at my old house would blow one every summer. After paying to have two replaced i decided watch how to do it on the second one and it was so easy i just bought them myself after that.
                                My capacitor took a crap on me last week

Comment

Working...
                                X