No announcement yet.

.308 vs 300 Blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 hands down. You can find ammo for it, you can handload subsonic loads for plinking for it and I saw a 300BO used to shoot a pig in the neck at about 60 yards and the ole sow just trotted off with her herd...
    Last edited by Matt_C; 06-16-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Nothing has walked away after being shot with supersonic ammo from my 300 blackout SBR, but there is no denying that the .308 is much more powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        Bigger is not always better, but in this case it is.
        This... Not saying you CAN'T do it with the black out... but as Jeff Foxworthy said, "Takes a long time to get to England in a row boat"

Comment

.308 by a large margin. Close thread!

Comment

I was debating the same thing and understand why your asking the question. After the research I did I will hands down be using the 308. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

I agree the 308 is a superior round in for supersonic, but honest question: If I’m shooting subs how is a 308 any different. Assuming the bullet is the same and I load both to be the subsonic, the speed will be the same. Is there something I’m missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve killed animals with both rounds. If you were to ask each dead animal which round would they have rather been shot well, well duh, kind of hard because they are dead.

Keep it within the intended effective range and do what you do. Carry on …

Comment

Originally posted by RackstackerG5 View Post
                  I was debating the same thing and understand why your asking the question. After the research I did I will hands down be using the 308. You won't be disappointed.

For sub applications the 300 blackout is the better choice due to the limited case capacity.

Comment

Love my .308 and use it exclusively for anything that might need shot past 100, however most of my gun hunting is from my bow blind setups so I carry the little SBR in BLK with Barnes TTX (not subs) for tight confines of my bow blinds.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                      I’ve killed animals with both rounds. If you were to ask each dead animal which round would they have rather been shot well, well duh, kind of hard because they are dead.

Keep it within the intended effective range and do what you do.
                      True.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        Love my .308 and use it exclusively for anything that might need shot past 100, however most of my gun hunting is from my bow blind setups so I carry the little SBR in BLK with Barnes TTX (not subs) for tight confines of my bow blinds.

Most of my shots would be from a bow blind or occasional spot and stalk maybe 100yards

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
                          Most of my shots would be from a bow blind or occasional spot and stalk maybe 100yards

I run a can on both so the .308 gets long and limits the angles I can take without 10" of gun sticking out the window

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado87 View Post
                            I agree the 308 is a superior round in for supersonic, but honest question: If I’m shooting subs how is a 308 any different. Assuming the bullet is the same and I load both to be the subsonic, the speed will be the same. Is there something I’m missing?

One of the ways subs can retain their effectiveness is by shooting a heavier projectile... With a sub-.308, you can load a heavier projectile and put enough powder behind it to keep the speed up than you can the 300BO. If both are supersonic, there is no comparison for a short-action cartridge. Additionally, there's more doping data on the .308 than just about any cartridge around (except maybe the 5.56, but maybe even more than it).

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              One of the ways subs can retain their effectiveness is by shooting a heavier projectile... With a sub-.308, you can load a heavier projectile and put enough powder behind it to keep the speed up than you can the 300BO. If both are supersonic, there is no comparison for a short-action cartridge. Additionally, there's more doping data on the .308 than just about any cartridge around (except maybe the 5.56, but maybe even more than it).

Charlie I’m confused. A 220 grain bullet at 1050 fps makes no difference on the cartridge it’s launched from.

I can easily push a 220 grain bullet faster than supersonic with my 300BO even out of an 8” barrel.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Have a couple of .308s, never had a problem, and never had anything run very far.

Comment

Working...
                                X