Question for the cattle folks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    I used to pheasant hunt with a guy who ran a feed lot in the panhandle. He told me about times when the weather go weird up there they would pay the VFD to come out at dark and spray over the cattle with fire hoses to cool them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We run sprinklers and fans on our herd during the summer. But had a Dutch ran operation a few years ago wipe out a huge portion by spraying them with water…. And no air flow! Or of course constant water flow.

If we lost power with a wet herd confined and didn’t fire generator it wouldn’t take long at all to start loosing

…. Longhorn = fur covered shredder. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      it wouldn’t take long at all to start loosing

So their fur would come loose?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

No th water Matt’s the fur where they can’t transfer body heat…. Like putting them in wet suits in a way

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          We run sprinklers and fans on our herd during the summer. But had a Dutch ran operation a few years ago wipe out a huge portion by spraying them with water…. And no air flow! Or of course constant water flow.

If we lost power with a wet herd confined and didn’t fire generator it wouldn’t take long at all to start loosing

You ever been to the panhandle? There is constant air flow, the wind never turns off.

Comment

My guess is to hot of feed and heat exponentially inflated the issues with it.

If those 2k head are across western KS then it’s heat and feed. If it’s one feedlot it’s tainted feed and/or bad water issue

I grew up in a feed lot 35 miles from KS, we had hot long summers, it’s comes down to normally non preconditioned feeders coming in and getting on to hot of feed to quick.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusassjohn View Post
              Thank you ,amazing how many think they now how to raise livestock
              Then don’t eat fed beef and move along
              Last edited by Texans42; 06-17-2022, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Talked to a good friend that ranches and run thousands of head of cattle in Kansas Flinthills. He said this happens every summer to a degree in feed lots. This yr it’s worse due to extreme heat

Comment

Working...
                X