Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From BEEF magazine.

The Truth

Comments on the viral video post point to the rows of dead cattle as suspicious. When, in actuality, it’s typical procedure for a feed yard when disposing of dead stock.

There has to be an accounting for every head that leaves the yard, whether on a truck to the processing plant or on the truck to the rendering plant. This is a business.

Theurer says typically feed yards will go through and remove dead cattle from pens and place them in areas where they can be accessed by the rendering truck. Cattle may be sent to rendering plants or to landfills if permitted, or to compost sites—all of which are properly documented and determined in advance of any need.

In a large event like this, veterinarians will have to do necropsies to determine likely cause of death, Theurer says, for insurance and indemnity program documentation. Animal IDs will be recorded for the accounting department.

How many lost

There’s been a lot of numbers thrown out around social media and in reports. Hagins says KLA doesn’t track those numbers and members do not self-report their death losses. However, KLA will say it was a significant number of cattle lost.

Comment

I knew it! It was Burger King!

Comment

Meatingplace.com reported 2000 head. AgDay this morning had a story about how the heat can build up in cattle when nighttime temperatures remain warm. No shade, 104 degrees, hot night, hot ration? No mention if they were still pouring the calories to them in the feed. I expect that we will hear more in the coming days.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
          They shouldn't be but we have men saying they are women. So who knows.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s Putin fault…

Comment

This is why we have longhorns !
              True Texas Cattle
              They can take the heat and drought

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                This is why we have longhorns !
                True Texas Cattle
                They can take the heat and drought
                If you like boot leather, it's perfect.

Comment

Tucker had a bit on this tonight with a farmer saying certain parts never got out of the 100's overnight & the cattle never had a chance to cool down...holy crap!! Supposedly they are gonna do some autopsies to rule out bad feed / poison.

Also said we process 600k cattle a week...drop in the bucket. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    If you like boot leather, it's perfect.
                    Thank you ,amazing how many think they now how to raise livestock

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      LMAO!

currently 24% in Ulysses Kansas and 42% in Houston....

I wasn’t aware of a feedlot in Houston?

Comment

What % of cattle died in the area. 10,000 could be insignificant or a disaster

Comment

I have been on a Kansas feedlot, not a hint of shade on the whole place

Stands to reason tht you pack a lot with animals and no shade that the right conditions can be deadly

Comment

I used to pheasant hunt with a guy who ran a feed lot in the panhandle. He told me about times when the weather go weird up there they would pay the VFD to come out at dark and spray over the cattle with fire hoses to cool them.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                              I wasn’t aware of a feedlot in Houston?

I think you are missing the point. Im guessing he used Houston as an exame because it typically has a high humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusassjohn View Post
                                Thank you ,amazing how many think they now how to raise livestock
                                We are into money, not beef !
                                I look at my cows, and eat everyone else’s.

Comment

Working...
                                X