X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible, prayers for his family

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
      Crofab is the anti venom and it is extremely expensive. Hospitals try to just keep enough on hand until they can get more as needed. On average, rattlesnake bite will use $70-80K just in the crofab.
      Daughter got bit by a copperhead two years ago. She got four vials of antivenom at $5500 each. $55,000 for about six hours in the ER. As I understand the ER docs try to avoid giving the antivenom since many people are allergic to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
        Crofab is the anti venom and it is extremely expensive. Hospitals try to just keep enough on hand until they can get more as needed. On average, rattlesnake bite will use $70-80K just in the crofab.
        I've seen posted hospital bills that were in excess of $100k for snake bites. Its no wonder that they don't keep much on hand. Avoid getting bit at all costs if you can.

Comment

I've caught several rattle bugs and copper heads over the years. There's no playing or "handling". Catch, pics and lopped off behind head. Still, dumb. But can't say it won't happen again.
          Was it a bad way to go? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure cancer, parkinson's, AIDS and other ways ain't no picnic either. Like the report said. He went out doing what he enjoyed.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO, it’s just not worth the risk of handling or keeping any venomous reptile. Period.

Comment

I've been to a few different snake hunts and I really don't enjoy the ones where dare devil stunts are performed. It sends the wrong message to people. I don't care how much of a professional you are or think you are. People getting bit on a regular basis will get a snake hunt shut down quicker than anything. Treating the snakes with disrespect will too. Rattlesnake hunts are how a lot of small towns make most of their money so they can't afford for them to get shut down do to blatant disrespect towards the snakes or carelessness when handling them. These events need to be more of a focus on education instead of showing off. Because it doesn't look good.

The snake hunt in Sweetwater is a good example of what will be the demise of these traditions in Oklahoma and Texas both. They don't do anyone any favors by clowning around with these snakes or putting their hand prints on the wall using the blood from the snakes. That's frickin stupid as crap. Some of us actually enjoy the sport in it. These ain't animals to just go out and jack with and show your ignorance towards in front of the whole world. And it ends up in front of the whole world. People like filming at these events so folks need to keep that in mind. I don't want stupidity from someone else reflecting on me.

And I've heard about how things are done in Freer. Kissing snakes on the head and all that crap. If you don't want to get bit,keep your hands off em. If you're gonna act a fool with em do us all a favor and don't. If you're scared of the outcome don't do it. Because it can happen and it will if you're messing around.
              Last edited by okrattler; 05-02-2022, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
                Terrible, prayers for his family
                X2, RIP, very sad that he died this way.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                  X2, RIP, very sad that he died this way.
                  Sad yes, but foreseeable. Nobody should be surprised if a snake handler gets killed by a snake. That's kind of like being surprised when a guy that skydives hits the ground without a parachute......it's sad. But not totally shocking. He knew the dangers.

I can think of worse ways to go out. I snake hunt, I might get killed by a snake someday. No harm,no foul. Life goes on.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 05-02-2022, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    I might get killed by a snake someday. No harm,no foul. Life goes on.
                    That’s not how it works buddy…that’s not how any of this works [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                      That’s not how it works buddy…that’s not how any of this works [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      That's exactly how it works. I've lost people and my world kept going whether I was sad or not. Same would happen for the people that care about me. Same as it will happen to the family and friends of the guy that got bit and died. So if it did happen to me I'd rather people just went on about their day never giving it a second thought. Being sad doesn't do nothin for nobody and it wouldn't be on anyone but me. So why be sad about it? Obviously life wouldn't go on for me at that point. But my death wouldn't stop the world from moving forward. I'm not so arrogant as to think my life means much more than a spec of sand on the ground. I'm a very small part of this world. Most people if not everyone you see from day to day are.

Babies are born every day. We're all replaceable.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 05-02-2022, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                        That's exactly how it works. I've lost people and my world kept going whether I was sad or not. Same would happen for the people that care about me. Same as it will happen to the family and friends of the guy that got bit and died. So if it did happen to me I'd rather people just went on about their day never giving it a second thought. Being sad doesn't do nothin for nobody and it wouldn't be on anyone but me. So why be sad about it? Obviously life wouldn't go on for me at that point. But my death wouldn't stop the world from moving forward. I'm not so arrogant as to think my life means much more than a spec of sand on the ground. I'm a very small part of this world. Most people if not everyone you see from day to day are.

Babies are born every day. We're all replaceable.

**** dude that’s ****ed up. You may not care about your life but losing a child, parent or sibling is not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yeah it may seem stupid , and maybe stupid but people die hunting every year we all got to go sometime, sorry for his family and friends and sorry for him , y'all be safe and blessed , don't do nothing stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Blessed to hunt View Post
                            don't do nothing stupid
                            You mean like handling poisonous snakes all of the time??

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                              **** dude that’s ****ed up. You may not care about your life but losing a child, parent or sibling is not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Sometimes the truth is jacked up. Never said I don't care about my life or that it's not hard to lose someone. But I know that if I die doing what I love to do I don't expect a bunch of people to sit around and cry about it. Like it'll solve anything whatsoever. At that point will I be worth crying over? My soul won't be in the body they're crying over. At that point it's no different than crying for a rock.

Like I said we're all replaceable. Gotta watch what you're doing. If you don't pay attention that's what happens.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 05-03-2022, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                                Do they not keep antivenom on hand when doing this stuff?
                                The article I read stated they don't keep the AV on hand because of the costs associated(2-4k per vial, up to 50+ vials needed, need a doc on hand too) and the incidence of allergic reactions. They only administer it in a hospital setting.

It also stated where you get hit matters. You want to get hit far away from the brain.

Comment

Working...
                                X