Who'll be first? E-F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
    I was thinking about all these vehicles all being plugged in for all these hours every weekday,( I'm thinking 10-15 years from now) I don't think the power grid is going to like it. I would think you would be limited by some "authority" on when you could charge your vehicle to prevent taking out the grid. Basically you are going to have to get permission to even charge your car. Then, with the smart meters, rates will skyrocket during these hours because the demand will go up during the evenings and nights. each vehicle would be drawing the current almost as much as an electric furnace and if you have 2 cars well you can figure that out. During the summer with all generation being up, how could the grid handle the additional load? We know how "difficult" it is to get permits to build power plants. I see this as a trap. You have a car now that you can't charge and use when you go to work so now you will be forced onto public transportation. I don't see any real good coming from it.
    Going to be a lot of folks late for work when the rolling blackouts only gets them a 1/4 charge. Since the rapid chargers require a 70 amp service, you can always buy a 18,000 watt generator to charge your vehicle, burn 40 gallons of gasoline to charge your pickup up to the equivalent of a 15 gallon drive. Imagine a suburban neighborhood where every house has an additional 70 amp load on the main power line. Be melting the feeders and switchgear, couple of months for parts, but at least that neighborhood won't be using power for that period.

Comment

I will get EV one day, it’s the future for sure

Comment

I picture people riding around with a Honda 2000 Generator in the bed of their truck to charge as they go.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
          I'm about as resistant to change as anyone you'll find, but remember many people fought to keep using whale oil and horses.
          The difference is petroleum and cars have a clear advantage in cost and ease of use over whales and horses. That, and world governments weren't talking about banning horses as an "incentive" to drive cars. Sure, if you are the specific use case where you just drive to work and can charge in your garage overnight, electric is a great choice. Wanna go on a long trip, better plan your stops to find a charger every 300 miles and wait, less if you actually tow/haul anything. Of course if all you care about is "it has instant torque and goes fast" then yeah, electric has an advantage. Real world though, neither the cars or the power grid are ready for prime time.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            Are there places to charge them on the road? The range is what’s a killer for me. I can’t make it to the lease on one charge. I imagine they’ll be like golf carts in the future, people getting rid of them because they need new batteries.
            Yes- what is the realistic life of the battery? I know our golf cart is on set 3 of batts at around a grand a set (I think). I also realize the battery types are different. What’s the ecological cost to disposing of batteries? That can’t be good for the environment.

I just can’t comprehend how these cars cannot have their own on-board charging systems? A 5 gal talk for gas and a small inverter type genny to produce its own charging while driving.

Comment

It's not enough range to get to our ranch and forget driving to hunt out of state. I think I will pass for now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I get it, I do, but what is the point of these vehicles if I can't drive cross country with it? 300-500 miles range, whoopdeedoo if I gotta sit and wait a hour or even longer for the vehicle to charge. Sooner or later you'll be stuck in the middle of no where wishing you had a gas or diesel engine that you could have filled up at that last station for 5 minutes and still be on the road. When I can drive cross country in a electric vehicle then and only then will I be sold. Hopefully that time comes sooner rather than later. There's my 2 pennies.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

It's probably okay, if you drive it like a commuter car. Then again, if you need a commuter car, buy a daggum commuter car! It would have made more sense to do this on the Ranger platform.

cricman

Comment

It will spawn a whole new series of shows on Discovery and MT. They take your 5 year old EV that has no trade-in value because it requires a battery pack replacement that is > $20,000 and they'll retrofit it with a LS engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      Please do not introduce clear thinking or common sense into this pipe dream. It only confuses the “green is good, carbon is bad” element.
                      Well if carbon is BAD, "WE are all in trouble!! We are carbon beings."

Comment

I think its awesome! Will probably own one eventually. They are the future.
                        I dont understand some of the comments as is if some folks think Ford had no clue this wouldnt be able to acheive the same specs as the standard 150.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                          Looks like a cool truck but to me there are a few big unanswered questions..

I’m with E.Tx.Bowhunter. What are they going to do in California when everyone gets home and plugs in their electric vehicles? They already have blackouts when people get home and turn on their AC..

Realistically how much is this going to increase you electric bill every month??

How much are new batteries and how do you go about disposing the old worn out ones ?

This. Electric cars are the future, but we have LONG way to go. Lots of major infrastructure changes will have to become mainstream. Power grids, rapid charging, Lithium mining, etc. This stuff takes time and money.

Comment

Biden's secret service driver

Comment

It'll be fine for folks who don't need a truck.

Comment

Not me. I will never buy a battery powered toy truck/car

Comment

Working...
                                X