No announcement yet.

Who'll be first? E-F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be a good extra vehicle or toy to have. Or for people who do not drive much other than around town to pick up the kids and groceries.

This got me looking into the cost to use super charging stations and it is not cheap or quick. Again, if you have to recharge anywhere other than home it becomes a pain.

Comment

I was thinking about all these vehicles all being plugged in for all these hours every weekday,( I'm thinking 10-15 years from now) I don't think the power grid is going to like it. I would think you would be limited by some "authority" on when you could charge your vehicle to prevent taking out the grid. Basically you are going to have to get permission to even charge your car. Then, with the smart meters, rates will skyrocket during these hours because the demand will go up during the evenings and nights. each vehicle would be drawing the current almost as much as an electric furnace and if you have 2 cars well you can figure that out. During the summer with all generation being up, how could the grid handle the additional load? We know how "difficult" it is to get permits to build power plants. I see this as a trap. You have a car now that you can't charge and use when you go to work so now you will be forced onto public transportation. I don't see any real good coming from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
        Their price point will sell the trucks. Under $40,000 for standard model, plus a tax break means you can get it for right at $33,000. They will sell like hot cakes.
        Maybe to folks who don’t need trucks. Serious truck users will take a little longer to convince. The concrete cowboys might like them.

Comment

I have held off buying a new truck since 2008. I still drive and love my 2008 dodge 4x4 mega cab.

That being said, I did buy a Prius in 2013. One of the best decisions I ever made. It is a hybrid that gets 50mpg everywhere I go. If I don't need to pull a trailer or boat, I am driving the prius.

As soon as I feel comfortable that there is a comparable electric pickup that has the bugs worked out I will buy it. I am in no hurry so I hope in a couple years there will be a reliable all electric truck that has a 500 mile range. If not, hopefully they will have a hybrid pickup that will get 40 to 50mpg when not pulling.

Electric has lots of torq and is fun to drive.

Comment

Tesla really needs to re-design the cyber truck and make it look like a nice truck, and not something straight out of cheap futuristic Sci fi movie. I know there's a cult following, but if the guts of this truck are actually pretty good, there missing a big chunk of the market on the goofy design.

Comment

I'm really hoping Tundra steps up with a hybrid system. I give it 10 years, electric vehicles will be the norm and quick charging equivalent to filling up as gas station.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                I was thinking about all these vehicles all being plugged in for all these hours every weekday,( I'm thinking 10-15 years from now) I don't think the power grid is going to like it. I would think you would be limited by some "authority" on when you could charge your vehicle to prevent taking out the grid. Basically you are going to have to get permission to even charge your car. Then, with the smart meters, rates will skyrocket during these hours because the demand will go up during the evenings and nights. each vehicle would be drawing the current almost as much as an electric furnace and if you have 2 cars well you can figure that out. During the summer with all generation being up, how could the grid handle the additional load? We know how "difficult" it is to get permits to build power plants. I see this as a trap. You have a car now that you can't charge and use when you go to work so now you will be forced onto public transportation. I don't see any real good coming from it.
                Please do not introduce clear thinking or common sense into this pipe dream. It only confuses the “green is good, carbon is bad” element.

Comment

Probably never own one unless I'm forced into a corner, or the Govt. Subsides just get ridiculous. Be more likely to have a commuter car, for back and forth to work. They better be taking into consideration, the suck all these vehicles are going to have on the grid. Look what happened during the winter storm. How we going to charge all these vehicles if we can't keep the lights on, when the weather gets to the extremes.

Comment

Are there places to charge them on the road? The range is what’s a killer for me. I can’t make it to the lease on one charge. I imagine they’ll be like golf carts in the future, people getting rid of them because they need new batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      I will say I am really excited for this F150 to come out. There is a happy medium between gas and electric hybridization, and it's going to produce some of the most powerful vehicles ever made. The more electric motors MFG's can get on the road, the more R&D they can do, the more the final product improves. And I am all for city folks doing the R&D the next 10 years so when it comes time for me to buy a new truck, the electric motor is perfected, and mated with a diesel generator.

I don't like that Ford used the "Lightning" name. But I get it.
                      Forgive my ignorance on how a Hybrid works.... but, are you saying the truck would have an internal combustion engine and an electric engine? Just, a much much more efficient system 10 years down the road from now after a lot more tweaking to the system? I like the sound of that better than electric only and very limited mileage.

Comment

I'm about as resistant to change as anyone you'll find, but remember many people fought to keep using whale oil and horses.

Comment

Looks like a cool truck but to me there are a few big unanswered questions..

I’m with E.Tx.Bowhunter. What are they going to do in California when everyone gets home and plugs in their electric vehicles? They already have blackouts when people get home and turn on their AC..

Realistically how much is this going to increase you electric bill every month??

How much are new batteries and how do you go about disposing the old worn out ones ?

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                            Their price point will sell the trucks. Under $40,000 for standard model, plus a tax break means you can get it for right at $33,000. They will sell like hot cakes.
                            Wonder if the current pricing on new trucks is by design to make us think 33k is a steal.

Comment

no one has mentioned the power your whole house from the Truck on board generator, they were very vague, they did mention that one could use it for 3 days ,
                              ( referring to the Snowmagidon ) they showed powering power tools, saws all looks cool, but is this something that will need to charge every stop one makes, or drive it all week then charge it?

Comment

My wife has a hybrid car currently and loves it. Gas mileage is great and it has some get up and go due to gas. It automatically switches back and forth depending on what kind of power is needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X