Hard to argue with this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to argue with this

Hunted Texas for the last 60 years - unfortunately this article is spot on - in ten years from now what will Texas deer hunting be?

kinda of like Al Gore said we'd all be under water by the year 2000.

Comment

Hunting is definitely becoming a lost art. I doubt the average hunter in Texas even knows how to sharpen a knife anymore.
      Nothing is safe from the everybody gets a trophy mentality

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Hunting is definitely becoming a lost art. I doubt the average hunter in Texas even knows how to sharpen a knife anymore.

I just throw mine away when it gets dull and get a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve slowly lost enchantment with hunting because of the progression it has taken the past decade I’ve been involved.

I can’t stomach the cost anymore honestly...

Comment

It’s sad
            The ranch I border is only 190 acres and they have ten hunters. The ranch I work for is 2200, the ranch that encompasses the other 2/3 of the 190 place is 4800. These rejects killed seven 2.5 yr old 8 points. We asked them why and they said that’s how you properly manage a place ( kill every deer you see that isn’t a ten point no matter the age). I just shook my head and told them they were idiots. Nearly all of those bucks had grown up on our milo fields all year and just happened to pass through their place going to our other food plot. I see more nonhunters hunting than I do outdoorsman doing anything.

Comment

And there are actual grownups that get mad and can't understand why you ask if their kill was high fence or low fence?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                I am no big game expert hunter but the average trophy hunter who pays $$$ doesn't even carry a knife. Why would they?

Comment

A friend sent me that article just today and I read it with my defenses up assuming it was another “hunting is evil” diatribe. However I found myself agreeing with much of it. Yes, deer breeding and pay-to-kill menu hunts are legal and I hesitate to give any ground to the anti-hunting movement. But this type of hunting is the opposite of what I personally think deer hunting is all about. I guess you could say I’m conflicted. On the one hand I am baffled at how anyone could feel a sense of pride and accomplishment because they wrote a five figure check and killed what is basically domestic livestock with a rocking chair on its head. On the other hand I don’t want to give any ground to those who’s ultimate goal is to ban hunting altogether

Comment

I hate high fences.

Comment

Good read.

Comment

The scenario described in the article isn't sustainable. It's a temporary boom headed towards the inevitable bust.

What's left over, post-bust, won't look like it does today.

Comment

I live in Louisiana and work in Texas. I'm not sure if it's because there is not much public land over there or what but I don't work with a single person that is not on a lease sittin in a box over a corn feeder. To each his own though but I've often wondered if any of em has ever been scouting. I hunted on a lease for a couple of years here and found myself hating sitting in a box staring at the same old trees. Gave it up and now only hunt public land where baiting is not legal. I find scouting and seeing new woods so much more fun. I've found some white oaks that are basically free feeders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Man based on all this information, deer hunting will cease in 10yrs and that AOC lady with the big teeth says the world will end in 12 years. That's 2 years where I guess I am only bass fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                              I live in Louisiana and work in Texas. I'm not sure if it's because there is not much public land over there or what but I don't work with a single person that is not on a lease sittin in a box over a corn feeder. To each his own though but I've often wondered if any of em has ever been scouting. I hunted on a lease for a couple of years here and found myself hating sitting in a box staring at the same old trees. Gave it up and now only hunt public land where baiting is not legal. I find scouting and seeing new woods so much more fun. I've found some white oaks that are basically free feeders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                              This is how I hunt and was raised hunting.. I hunt on a lease with my kids but most of my hunting is either on a scrape line or oak flat in the national forest or spot and stalk axis and elk.. I can last all day if I can move around but I wont make it an hour in a blind staring at a feeder..

Comment

Working...
                              X