Texas knapping rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas knapping rock?

Anyone near Llano Texas that would allow me to stop by and gather a 5 gallon bucket of rock for knapping arrowheads? I won't be coming thru until the end of February but I want to get some things lined up. I am traveling to San Antonio to visit a Marine buddy that took a head shot in Viet Nam that paralized him.

You can answer me VIA a PM if you like and thanks.

TTT No invites yet. I will be driving from El Paso so any spots between there and San Antonio would be OK as I am not in a hurry.

Comment

I live in Sonora. If you are going from El Paso to SA on I-10, you go right thru here. I have a ton of rock, but I don’t think any of it is flint. You would be welcome to look to see if any of it would work though!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If your dates line up with mine I can take you to a spot I call the flint quarry. It is one hour each way from I-10. Pandale road exit.

Comment

The Texas knapping rock is "Chert".

Bisch, I bet you have at least some on your place.

There's tons of it on Carl's place.
          Billy Berger hauls a bunch of it out of every time he is there .
          I watched Billy & Thad knapping with it last time I was down. Pretty cool.

Rick

Comment

There was a bunch on a lease I had near Bronte.

Gary

Comment

Check the "cut-through"hillsides between Ft. Stockton to Ozona especially those from Live Oak draw into Ozona lot of rocks in those areas just laying around up on the hills most baseball to softball sized, sometimes you'll find one up to basketball sized. Can't give you exact locations, it's been 10-12 years since I've been down there pokin' around.

Comment

Bisch: Been reading your archery posts for a few years. Would be nice to meet you regardless if you have rock or not.

tex4k: appreciate the tip. I would think all the property is private and respect that and their fences.

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
                    Bisch: Been reading your archery posts for a few years. Would be nice to meet you regardless if you have rock or not.

tex4k: appreciate the tip. I would think all the property is private and respect that and their fences.
                    You've got about 25' between the fence and the shoulder of the road!

Comment

I would like to see what it looks like. We have some sort of rock here that is nearly black inside and has sort of a caliche colored covering.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                        I would like to see what it looks like. We have some sort of rock here that is nearly black inside and has sort of a caliche colored covering.

That’s more than likely what he’s after!

Bisch

Comment

I looked up some pictures last night. It looks like the stuff that we have. In fact, I believe that there are several truckloads of it that was bladed out of the caliche hauled in to touch up the road. I have a line of it a half mile long.

Comment

This is it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                              That's the stuff.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X