Terrell County Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
    I returned home Monday from the lease in western Val Verde/Terrell County and we saw a lot of movement this past weekend. Bucks are starting to split up as we saw several good bucks that were alone. On Saturday morning a good 9 and a good 8 got into one helluva fight. The 9 won despite being a little smaller than the 8.

Movement was pretty good in the morning and evening and there was movement all day long, despite it heating up during midday. We drove around a glassed several canyons and always saw movement. In fact, the biggest buck we saw, which was probably the biggest I've seen on that ranch, we jumped at 3 PM and he was in the middle of large, open flat. Very tall, heavy and way outside his ears. I just couldn't get the rifle out fast enough.

Saturday morning, after the buck fight they all scrambled and left by 730. I caught movement coming form my right at 200 yards and spotted a big buck working to my left. He was on a mission. I glassed him as he worked through the brush toward the creek bottom and could tell he was tall and heavy, but he never turned his head my direction. He stopped at the creek bottom and turned his head and I knew this was probably the same 8 point I saw last year. Just a huge 8 and probably the biggest 8 on the ranch. I saw him last year and had a broadside shot at 150 yards, but didn't take it because he'd broken every tine off his left side. All that was there was the brow tine and his main beam.

Anyway, I grabbed my rifle and was gonna give him a dirt nap when he came out of the creek bottom, but he came out farther down than I expected and was half way up the mountain before I found him again. All I could do was watch as he continued on his mission.

I left the blind and went to pick up my fiance around 930 and found a bunch of sheep on the mountain to my left. Barbado and mouflon crosses that we've been trying to eliminate from the lease. We had pretty much done that last year, but I found this group of about 20 rams and ewes. I chased them down the mountain and when they stopped I let the Barrett 6.5x55 eat. I knocked down the biggest ram and they took off. Ultimately I killed two more rams before I decided I needed to pick her up. Everywhere I sat this weekend I heard sheep so we've been invaded again.

I found two more rams in another canyon Monday morning and used the 6.5 PRC. They were a looooooong way off and I didn't have my spotter standing next to me to tell me where I was hitting. I missed the first two shots at a tan colored ram as he ran closer. I'm pretty sure I nailed him on the third shot as he stood broadside. I couldn't find him again when after the rifle recoiled.

We will be headed back out the weekend of December 7. Last year, everything broke loose that week and the bucks were running does like cutting horses. It was fun to watch.
    Thanks for the update. I will be headed out there Dec. 2nd and hope the rut will hold off till then.

Comment

Nice 9
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Terrell_County View Post
        Nice 9
        Yes he is. Congratulations!

Comment

When would you guys that regularly hunt Dryden/Sanderson area say would be the prime time to see peak rut activity on mule deer in this area?

Comment

Originally posted by DWV015 View Post
            When would you guys that regularly hunt Dryden/Sanderson area say would be the prime time to see peak rut activity on mule deer in this area?
            Unless you're on MLD, you won't see much rutting activity for mule deer. It typically doesn't kick in until around Christmas.

Comment

What SabreKiller said. Generally about a month after Mule Deer season ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My old lease at Van Horn, we only caught them really rutting one time in about 30 years. It was a slaughter too. All the big guys were out chasing does and we killed several BIG bucks that year. Never happened again either! LOL!

Comment

Appreciate the feedback. Falls in line with what I was thinking. Missed most of last season down there (was my first year in this area) so didn't get to check this out for myself. Used to always hunt mule deer in NM and always hit the rut perfect first two weeks of January, so assumed it would be a bit earlier this far south.
                  Yes, Sabrekiller- the rut absolute changes everything with mule deer!

Comment

Originally posted by DWV015 View Post
                    Appreciate the feedback. Falls in line with what I was thinking. Missed most of last season down there (was my first year in this area) so didn't get to check this out for myself. Used to always hunt mule deer in NM and always hit the rut perfect first two weeks of January, so assumed it would be a bit earlier this far south.
                    Yes, Sabrekiller- the rut absolute changes everything with mule deer!
                    About 4 years ago, my hunting partner and I were travelling back to the lease north of Pumpville for the last weekend of the season and we had just turned off FM 349 and gone maybe 1/4 mile when I saw a BIG muley with couple of does about 10 yards off the county road. He could have cared less about us. Big 10 and at least 28" wide. I've got one just like him on the wall that I killed on my old Van Horn lease.

We see muleys on our way in and out of my current lease. They haven't quite made it to us. Yet.

Comment

Do any of y’all watch the show Lone Star Law? Warden Forrest Price came out in an episode last night.

Comment

Anyone do any good this past weekend? My other lease members said it was too hot and all they killed was a cull.

Me and the fiance are headed out Friday afternoon and coming back Monday. I'm hoping to catch them chasing pretty good. Last year, the bucks were working the does like cutting horses at this time. We'll see what happens!

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                          Anyone do any good this past weekend? My other lease members said it was too hot and all they killed was a cull.

Me and the fiance are headed out Friday afternoon and coming back Monday. I'm hoping to catch them chasing pretty good. Last year, the bucks were working the does like cutting horses at this time. We'll see what happens!
                          We’re heading out there Thursday evening and coming back home Sunday after the morning hunt.

Comment

Action is starting to pick up. Typically this week is the best for us. We need some cooler weather. Will be out here until Sunday.
                            Attached Files

Comment

We will be heading out Friday morning and coming back Monday. Good luck everyone

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
                              Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

On my way to the wild west!

Comment

Working...
                                X