Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trespassing Cows. How neighborly should we be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
    I'd just go find the hole and fix it. Be done with it.
    Bingo. In most cases, nothing a cattle panel or two can't fix. If in fact that easy, just fix it and move on. At the same time, could be an easy foot in the door to more hunting land if you played it right. Known several that took this approach and ended up with some good new spots.

Comment

We had an issue with cows showing up and no holes in fence found. Went to run them out and low and behold they ran right to the gate, humm....
      Someone may be letting them in.

Sheriff is the call to make.

Comment

We had a 2500 lb bull running around our lease for a couple of weeks a few years ago. That was a big spike.

Comment

This is very helpful... and it looks like some of yall definitely need to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            Shoot ‘em on the spot. Every stinking one of them.
            do not do this,, buddy of mine found out through the pocket book,,, and his brother is a Judge,,,

Comment

My moms cousin had this problem years a go with a bull that kept jumping the fence. He would call the owner and eventually the owner would come get it. But it kept happening over and over so my moms cousin penned the bull and sold it. He got arrested for cattle theft.

Comment

How bad is the fence? Maybe its time to ask the neighbor if he would want to split the cost for a new fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                  Sheriff’s office here will load them up and take them to the auction barn and send the owners a check . That’s if it a know and documented problem.

Dang! That’s a hell of a deal for the cattle owner. You don’t have to do anything to get your cattle to auction except open a piece of fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you shoot it or sell the cattle you will go to jail for sure.

Call the neighbor and ask them to get them. If they drag their feet give them a specific time line like 24 hrs.

If it's not still not moving call the sheriff and ask them what the next step would be.

I would not be afraid to mention casually to both that you do not have cattle so there may be things on the property that would be harmful and that you are making both aware.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

In the drought that we are in.

If you have grass and your neighbors don't, it will be hard to keep the cattle out, no matter how good the fences are.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
                        If you shoot it or sell the cattle you will go to jail for sure.
                        Not necessarily. You have to get caught first.

Comment

How many times? One or two, depending.

Two if the livestock owner is generally responsible with his livestock, fences, and maintains adequate pastures or feed for his animals; if he is readily available for your outreach and immediately responsive to your concerns; and if he takes immediate steps to prevent the intrusion from occurring again.

One If the livestock owner is neglectful with respect to any of the items listed above.

I wouldn’t wait too much longer to call the Sherrif as I would think you would want to establish a record if the problem becomes habitual.

Comment

Run'em out the gate, fix the fence.

Comment

Check this website. It seems helpful.

Comment

Man I would hate to run cattle next to some of yall. Our cows occasionally get out and we go find the problem and fix it. Our neighbors cows occasionally get into our pasture and we let them know.

Heck we raised 3 long horns for months while the neighbor got his fences in line. He provided the cubes for us monthly.

Comment

Working...
                                X